Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
kodama

Deep Spearfishing locations

I am interested to learn about areas around the American continent, North and South, where it is common to spear fish at greater depths. Comparable as some of the hunting in the Mediterranean Sea.

More specific depths between 82 and 130 feet.

Are there any species that typically dwell at these depths?

For all clarity I am not advocating to hunt at these depths because of all the obvious dangers involved! I am just curious wether there are any comparable hunting grounds. In the Mediterranean Sea there are certain species like large dusky, glodblotch or white groupers and dentex that are often found at greater depths. Not to say that you can’t find these species at shallow depths as well.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
sealark

Re: Deep Spearfishing locations

The entire state of Florida has those depths plus shallower and deeper. Lots of fish in many of the spots. Last year 85 ft.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
The entire state of Florida has those depths plus shallower and deeper. Lots of fish in many of the spots. Last year 85 ft.
Like he said....
Those depths are No big deal here...
UNLESS...
Your freediving???
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
kodama

Those are some beautiful red snapper!
Old 03-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
kodama

What about the East Coast and South America. I am only familiar with the relatively cold and shallow diving in NorCal.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
Behslayer

hawaii it's always deep.. guys here regularly hunt 80-120' I'm talking freediving.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #7
kodama

Deep Spearfishing locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
hawaii it's always deep.. guys here regularly hunt 80-120' I'm talking freediving.

Yes freediving obviously. I do most of my spearfishing and freediving in or around Europe at the moment. Spearfishing is not practiced on scuba around here.

I often hear that spearfishing around 30m is only common around the Mediterranean. For some reason I have a hard time believing those statements so I am curious about those hunting these depths elsewhere.

I didn’t know that about Hawaii. My friend who grew up there told you can find large fish at quite shallow depths but I am sure it depends on the species.
What species would you hunt in Hawaii between 80 - 120’?
Old 03-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #8
Marco

I used to dive really deep when I lived in Venezuela. Sometimes more than 100'. Not anymore. I'm getting old...

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work

Last edited by Marco; 03-15-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:13 PM   #9
Alec

A typical day for us in Florida whether diving the reef/wrecks or bluewater is 70-90ft. Usually try to stay between 60-80 so you don’t get gassed early but if there’s a trophy fish at 100ft that’s not an issue for someone who’s seasoned and trained.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #10
Behslayer

Kodama,

You can shoot fish in shallow, but usually this is smaller reef fish. But for the best Reef fish like Uku (Green Jobfish) and Mu (Big Eyed Bream), usually you need to go down pretty deep and sit on the bottom. It is very common to dive 80'+. Some of my friends hunt at 120' (36mtr). But the water is very clear and little currents so we can practice safe diving. When diving like this, you literally are trusting your dive partner with your life.. it's one thing to hunt at 80-100'. But it's another thing once you have pulled the trigger. When I see or hear my partner has pulled the trigger I always swim down and meet them at 50' and take their gun from them and fight the fish so they can surface. Most of my dive partners are FII trained or instructors. Some of my friends here can drop to 240' without fins.... Because of the water clarity and the specific fish hunted (Uku) I think Hawaii is where people are spearfishing the deepest regularly in the USA.

I'm fairly certain Spearfishing with Scuba is illegal here too.

Here's some examples of guys hunting at 30mtrs + Both MArk Healey and Jonathan Lata are excellent divers capable of hunting at 120' or more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxUAqqd6RPY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7na1q_KB18

Last edited by Behslayer; 03-16-2019 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:53 AM   #11
Behslayer

Here's one from today. This guy is Kevin Lacaden from Maui, Hawaii. He took these Uku at 145'. He's one of the Maui crew who dive deep and a lot. Helps when the vis is 150'..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 8.44.03 PM.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	241893  
Old 03-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #12
popgun pete

From down at 100 feet the surface looks a long way up, I remember watching my SOS Helium gauge and thinking so easy to go down, but not so easy going back up. You sure need someone watching your back when going deep.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #13
kodama

Thank you for the useful information.
We always make sure we practice good safety adequate surface time and think as a team when diving deep.
Keeping up with systematic training has always been key for me too.

I should start making plans to visit Hawaii it seems. Would love to learn from the locals.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #14
renepotvin

There is so much fish in comparison with the med, anywhere else on the planet actually lol, that most diver will not bother diving deep.

I happen to like diving deeper, and sometimes there are different fish down there... In Rhode Island deep means 80 feet. It gets very, I mean very dark past 50 and the visibility is rarely more than 15 feet.

In Florida, people shoot fish on scuba a lot, so dept is not an issue. I think some people shoot fish past 200. It's not your sport obviously...

In Mexico, Cuba, Porto Rico, in my experience, there are plenty of spots past 100. In Mexico, I sometimes look at fish down below while hanging on rocks at 30 meters... In Cuba, you may need to fish past 100 all day.

Http://www.renepotvin.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/potvinr
Do subscribe, i'll subscribe back
renepotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #15
kodama

Cube has over 3,500 miles of coastline. I imagine that there must be a wide variety of reefs drop offs and structure to be found.

I remember sailing around Jamaica and running into some locals that were way out at sea spearfishing. The water was quite deep around there too.

Just one more reason to travel to Cuba..