Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
Capt G

AJ Season Closure

Greater Amberjack season will be closed March 24, 2017 until January 2018 per NOAA Bulletin FB17-016. Crud...
Capt G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
maidendeth13
SLO Cal

Re: AJ Season Closure

That sucks.

I only made it out once before they closed it last year. Was hoping to get a better opportunity this year.

Guess not though.

My Gun Build
maidendeth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
DrKing
Jered King

Gotta be kidding me! How does it go from 2 AJ per person per year to 1 AJ per person per year to 1 AJ per person for 10 months to 1 AJ per pesron for 3 months. Are AJ that over-fished? Its getting difficult to actually have a game species we can actually target when we go out. Red snapper 10 days, AJ 3 months. I plan on Family visiting every year to target AJ and they make all these rules last minute when plans have already been made. Last I heard AJ was open until last day of May then will reopen Aug for a certain amount of time. Does anybody know why these changes are coming and why so different than projected?
DrKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
purplechicken

I am no expert but you can search NOAA gulf coast council who sets all the limits and seasons. They are the ones who are ran and influenced by the comercial fisherman ie Buddy Guindon and other sea lords its not the charter captains they can not take people out to harvest them either. Do some reasearch and you will see why the rec guys get the shaft.
purplechicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
JDSapp

I feel you Dr... I didn't even have the slightest chance to get out during AJ season. Between weather and the short season it's a real kick in the nuts when they change it like that.
JDSapp is offline   Reply With Quote