Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 01:26 AM   #31
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Re: Oregon spearfishing

Hello crew,
I moved here from Tahiti a little over a year ago. Did some diving for abs in CA a month or two ago but have really been wanting to get in the water up here. I live in NW Portland, just off of Burnside on the way W up out of town. Anyone need a dive buddy? I sure do.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #32
winklecl
Lord O' Cabezon

Quote:
Originally Posted by No I'm Josh View Post
Hello crew,
I moved here from Tahiti a little over a year ago. Did some diving for abs in CA a month or two ago but have really been wanting to get in the water up here. I live in NW Portland, just off of Burnside on the way W up out of town. Anyone need a dive buddy? I sure do.
Welcome Josh! I assume you've read the other posts here. Weather not pretty, blah blah blah. I'm needing a high pressure system here! When it comes I'll try to invite so folks out.
winklecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #33
orspearo666
Water wolf

ill send you a PM with my info! im down for diving when the weather is manageable.
orspearo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #34
Spearo Shawn

Hi Oregon Divers, I have been reading this forum and trying to get out free diving in Newport for a couple of years now. I am finally reaching a point where I am worried about SWB of diving alone. I live and matriculate in Corvallis, so I am close to Newport for dive trips. I haven't done a lot of freediving, but I have grown up in the ocean, and certified as a scuba diver at 13 Years old. Please hit me up if you need a dive buddy, I would love the opportunity to learn from some local divers! I am comfortable in the water although not very experienced. Today I broke 4:30 with a breath hold for my first time! I am interested in finding someone who will spear as well as harvest crabs and eventually scallops. I would love to do some blue water or reef freediving, but it sounds like it's pretty hard to get boats to take us out?

I look forward to any responses! I think that I am heading to N cal over the winter break for some abs, so hit me up if you will be in that area as well.
Spearo Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #35
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Thanks Winkle for the welcome.
Shawn, where will you be in N Cal? I'll be in Marin over the festivities. Good job on the breath hold! Got me beat by 18 seconds.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #36
umpqua

I live in Corvallis and spear/kitesurf allot off Newport. Would like to join up with anyone close in. Let me know if anyone needs a solid partner. Ive been enjoying this beautiful sport since 2004. Pm me
umpqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #37
winklecl
Lord O' Cabezon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearo Shawn View Post
I think that I am heading to N cal over the winter break for some abs, so hit me up if you will be in that area as well.
Please don't. Jail time doesn't look good on a transcript . Abs closed Nov 30th in cali, just fyi. Spearing is open though. Scallops too in appropriate areas. California has the same rules (basically) on lings as Oregon and some breeders might already be in. I'll be in the Sonoma/mendo coast area from the 19-24th. Let me know if you want to dive. 503-367-4582. Clayton
winklecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #38
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Oh yeah, right. Always check the regs first. Thanks for the number Clayton, hopefully conditions will be good. Hope to see you soon.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #39
DEATH-BY-SPEAR

Hey Guys I dive 2 weekends of every month... often. I have a youtube site that I am starting to build videos for. Though there are only 2 on there now and they are both not good, I am in the long process of producing some awesome ones. Here is a link to one thats already up. My new ones have higher quality and clearer video, more kills shots, more people.... just follow along its a good way to connect to local divers and learn a thing or too. Thanks http://youtu.be/H_Gww2vVIh8?hd=1
DEATH-BY-SPEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #40
DEATH-BY-SPEAR

Aso (in association with Scuba RX) we have a meetup.com dive team. Here you can track upcoming meetup dates to dive with groups and expand your diving network.... SPEARFISHING network.

http://www.meetup.com/diveteam/
Old 06-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #41
seylerc

Hey guys,

Just waking up this old thread looking for the same thing DBS was a couple of years ago. I would really like to find a local group to get into spearfishing.

Most of my dives have been in warm water, but I know what it means to get in cold Oregon water (winter whitewater kayaking, 2 scuba dives in PNW, surfing in Oregon). For some silly reason I have an itch to leave my warm comfortable home and get in that cold water

I will be diving out of Eugene.

Craig
seylerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #42
DEATH-BY-SPEAR

Well you wouldn't believe this but after living in Oregon for 28 years (minus Marine Corp time) I moved to Gulf shores Alabama!!! Random but the diving is BAD ASS!!! I miss all of my dedicated cold water spearmen but I can say I dont love spearfishing here! Hit me up if you ever make it to Pensacola Gulf shores area. As for finding a local dive group I will recommend to people in particular. They both Scuba where as I prefer to free dive so I am not sure what you are into. One is Barry Schaffer, he owns Scuba RX in Gladstone. He is tied up in school and is shop is second priority but he is awesome as hell and has a ton of dive experience. The second individual is knowledgeable about diving Barview jetty and would love to meet someone now that I am gone. PM me for his contact. I must say, I dont miss my 7mm wetsuit! I will suppose I will change my Icon picture now. There are now Lingcod here, though I miss eating them!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #43
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Craig,
There is dive course (a few openings still available) one month from now (18th, 19th and 20th then a second session the 25th, 26th and 27th of July). If you can spring for the entry fee it will be a great place to make connections. It will be held at Sweet Home and will be a lot of fun. We have a strong community here now and a lot of the guys will doing the class. Hope to see you there!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #44
Boycane

hi I am new and have no idea how to start a thread
Boycane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #45
seylerc

Thanks for the two quick replies DBS and Josh.

DBS - I'm not sure if I would be more into scuba or freedive in Oregon as I have yet to do any cold water freediving. It seems like there is certainly some strong feelings as far as the ethics of freediving vs SCUBA when diving with spears is concerned or at least there was in Japan with the free divers I spent time with. I guess I will have to see what the local feelings are. I'm also not sure how long I can hold my breath in cold water with a good tidal surge pushing me around

Thanks for the offer on diving out there. I have never been out that way but I hear it is very very nice! I also really appreciate the contacts you listed, but I probably won't be diving that far north, at least not anytime soon. I really want to get into this and I figure the closer it is to me, the more likely I am to make it happen.

Josh - Do you have a link to some more information about the course? Who runs it and what are they teaching? I am interested, but getting Fridays off is probably not possible where I work. If those weekday slots are evenings I could definitely swing that.
seylerc is offline   Reply With Quote