Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Dive Training for Free Diving or Scuba Diving

Dive Training for Free Diving or Scuba Diving Discuss and learn about dive training for free diving or scuba diving in any geographical region.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #1
CozyComic

something worth looking into

Right I am currently at the 1 minute 30 second mark with my breath holds and am looking to improve on that time. Right now I am doing the thing where I breath in for 5 seconds and exhale for 10 seconds for a few minutes then hold my breath. While I was hopping around on the forums I came across the mako shop page and found this. http://www.makospearguns.com/Lung-Expander-p/mle.2.htm I was not sure if it would be something worth looking into or not.
Please and thank you for your time.
Also while I am here is there any other breathing techniques I could look into to help lengthen my hold time. (besides hyperventilate because I know that is bad ^_-)
CozyComic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:57 AM   #2
bryang123

Re: something worth looking into

my static PR is 2:25 and I use 3, 10, 3. Breath in, hold full for 3, exhale for 10, empty for 3. No time on inhale, just stay relaxed. I'd be interested in other techniques as well because my dynamic time is no where near where I want it to be (around half of my static).
bryang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
CozyComic

yeah I'm gaspen after 1:30 XD dry static so don't feel bad lol
Old 06-14-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
bryang123

I use the app called "iHoldBreath" you put in your PR and it gives you 3 different workouts you can do. My PR has gone up a bunch. It doesnt help with lung capacity as much as learning to cope with CO2
bryang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
TheGreaterFool

Never hyperventilate...one of the #1 things an fii course will teach you. If you want to learn..a freedive course is the way to go
TheGreaterFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:07 PM   #6
CozyComic

yeah been thinking about that. Problem be finding one that matches my schedule weekend nights noon to nine be hard to work with XD
Old 06-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #7
Mainsailman

Talking Re: something worth looking into

Apnea Trainer app on my iPhone is pretty nice. Good for increasing your static.
Mainsailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
growingupninja
Lance

'Lung expanders' are not used by any high level freedivers. If you are breathing properly already it wont make your lungs bigger, and done to excess could make your diaphragm less flexible, which is bad for deep diving. For terrestrial sports where fast air exchange is helpful (most sports except golf perhaps?) those devices would be great.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:39 PM   #9
CozyComic

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
'Lung expanders' are not used by any high level freedivers. If you are breathing properly already it wont make your lungs bigger, and done to excess could make your diaphragm less flexible, which is bad for deep diving. For terrestrial sports where fast air exchange is helpful (most sports except golf perhaps?) those devices would be great.
Alright I will pass it up then.