Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #166
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Re: Has anyone worked on developing speargun sights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
"Gun shoots straight in the first place"

That is the critical factor. A laser won't help much if the gun setup is spraying shots all over the place. I think few people really have shot a speargun that shoots exactly where they aim. When I have friends come over with their spearguns, it is pretty shocking how poorly their guns shoot in the pool. Obviously that doesn't stop them from catching fish, but this means that they have to compensate for poor performance by aiming center of a fish rather than trying to stone it. Also means having to pass up many opportunities on shots because the hit rate is very low. Another thing is that they will lose and injure a lot of fish due to poor hits. With a properly setup speargun these same people can put 5 shots inside a 2 inch circle center at 5 meters. With their guns they are lucky to keep the same shots inside a basketball sized target. A fish is actually quite a big target even when it is moving. The problem is that the vast majority of spearguns don't shoot where you aim.
And to turn this very valid argument upside down - this is actually the exact reason why I would consider a laser...;-)
But only as a tool in the pool, and only to make sure I aim in the exact same spot on each and every shot. It's not really needed but would, possibly, help limit the variables.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #167
Joe Wortsmith
Joe

You are so right. A 5 meter shot is a long way regardless and a sloppy gun or poor load will screw up the shot. I've noticed variance in loading with uneven left or right band pull causing poor grouping. Pneumatics have less an issue with windage but more with ballistic drop due to power loss at depth over 60' and of course distance to the fish. But an optical sight is no good if the gun's shooting all over the place. At least with a laser, you don't have to look down the tube or count on intuition and shooting experience for aiming. There still no guarantees!
Joe Wortsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #168
popgun pete

Here is a laser sight installation on a "Taimen" speargun which is very compact and has a grip mounted switch to turn the laser sight on and off.

Also a short video showing how the switch works.
https://youtu.be/-u88efJ_qCM
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #169
Joe Wortsmith
Joe

Cool. Electrical tape and glue. My kind of gun. But where's the battery and how is it swapped out? I question the compression switch too. Water pressure might turn the laser on. Nice inexpensive approach.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:04 PM   #170
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wortsmith View Post
Cool. Electrical tape and glue. My kind of gun. But where's the battery and how is it swapped out? I question the compression switch too. Water pressure might turn the laser on. Nice inexpensive approach.
What you can see is all I know, but being a Russian diver he is most likely spearing in rivers and lakes, so no saltwater (electrically conductive) and no great pressure at depth, maybe 10 meters at most which is 2 atmospheres absolute.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #171
Joe Wortsmith
Joe

Good points. He's making do with what he's got. I think it's a pistol laser adapted to the speargun. But it works and that's the point. Maybe the market for these items is in Russia!
Old 12-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #172
popgun pete

Quote:
Good points. He's making do with what he's got. I think it's a pistol laser adapted to the speargun. But it works and that's the point. Maybe the market for these items is in Russia!
The market will be everywhere at the right price. The red laser the Russian guy is using does not look very powerful, maybe OK for close range in rivers. The beam reminds me of the ones in toy guns from China where lasers are in everything! I am amazed these are given to kids to play with, but the lasers are low powered.

My imaginary view of a laser is one in a plastic or alloy housing with a mechanical/electronic switch in the laser, but the activation to be remote with an adapter. The laser would have a dove tail or rail mount to attach it to a variety of mounting plates or brackets. Remote switch activation would be by cable; mechanical, electrical or hydraulic as all three can bend around corners.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:25 PM   #173
Joe Wortsmith
Joe

Your laser design would be impressive but expensive to make. The dove tail rail is an extra part but useful for options like a light or reel. Remember, I already manufacture a remote operated, plastic laser with mounting bracket. I'm exhibiting at the Ft. Lauderdale Blue Wild show in April and will test the price point incentive, again. I just hate to make things cheap.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #174
popgun pete

Quote:
Your laser design would be impressive but expensive to make. The dove tail rail is an extra part but useful for options like a light or reel. Remember, I already manufacture a remote operated, plastic laser with mounting bracket. I'm exhibiting at the Ft. Lauderdale Blue Wild show in April and will test the price point incentive, again. I just hate to make things cheap.
With a timber stock and plenty of buoyancy a speargun can accommodate your brass case which will be very durable, but pneumatic and tube guns don’t necessarily have the buoyancy reserve to take such a weight, although it depends on how thick the walls are of your brass case. I am sure that threads such as these are being monitored and would not be surprised to learn that some Chinese are probably even now tooling up for something to do the job. Especially when you consider three button cell lasers like this one with its machined alloy housing. Size-wise in plan it is as big as a postage stamp! It is damp proof rather than waterproof and is intended for mounting on a firearm. I purchased one a month ago; push button on the rear right hand side turns it on and off. Power of the beam reminds me of the toy gun lasers I mentioned earlier and at US 9.00 bucks I am wondering if I can adapt it or maybe should throw it in the trash bin.

P.S. It occurs to me one could 3D print a rail attachment to screw or clamp on the gun as a mounting bracket for the laser. Then the laser would need waterproofing by applying some sealant in strategic places, the "only" other concern (to put it perhaps somewhat too mildly) is ambient pressure at depth turning on the laser.

https://www.newfrog.com/es/product/8...r-sight-215216
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	laser small button cell.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	241044   Click image for larger version

Name:	laser small button cell 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	241045  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-26-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added URL
Old 12-27-2018, 01:33 PM   #175
Joe Wortsmith
Joe

I'm hoping that some of the these adaptations or laser module alterations will work under water and the advertising for speargun lasers explodes. That will make my entry in the market more cost effective. (I.e. Let the competition pay for ads. I still benefit.)

While a laser module that is not designed with water depth and pressure in mind might work once, I doubt the longevity of the tool. A lot of features have to be considered to make the device viable as a working product. And price is the least important concern. Remember, even if its free, if it dosen't work more than once its a waste of time.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #176
popgun pete

Once the momentum is there I am sure underwater sighting lasers will be just another gun option. I can envisage them built into the gun structure such as the grip in an extended finger guard frame just as they are in the kid’s toys. Hollow core handle grip could house all the electronics and battery power and the emitter strategically placed elsewhere, but at a short distance for the electrical connection.

Think of a Biller handgrip, as in their stainless steel tube gun or timber gun, with the laser already built in. When something like this appears lasers will be here to stay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Biller handle laser.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	241080   Click image for larger version

Name:	biller laser model.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	241081  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-27-2018 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added the full length gun
Old 12-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #177
popgun pete

Well now these lasers are coming out of the woodwork! Check this one out.
https://www.newfrog.com/es/product/8...tronics%20USER

And the rail mounts.
https://www.newfrog.com/es/product/7...ge_recommended
https://www.newfrog.com/es/product/1...ge_recommended
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NORMAL_266710-8.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	241073   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAIN_266710-3.jpg
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	241074   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAIN_266710-1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	241075   Click image for larger version

Name:	NORMAL_266710-7.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	241076   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAIN_266710-2 (1).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	241077  

Name:	267887-1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	241078   Click image for larger version

Name:	267889-1.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	241079  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-27-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #178
popgun pete

Quote:
Joe, any photos of the plastic cased laser? Your website currently shows the brass version as I just went looking for it.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #179
Joe Wortsmith
Joe

Here's a shot of laser system mounted to a Wong Gun. Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Custom 2nd set of Speargun Pictures 018.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	241145  
Old 01-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #180
Joe Wortsmith
Joe

We've actually shortened the laser module and added a cowling on the front to protect the glass window. The internals have been improved too. I've send you some photos tomorrow. Joe