Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Off-Topic

California Off-Topic Remember that politics/religion and general off-topic belong in Special Forums.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
sweatloaf

End Commercial Bluefin in CA?

Anyone know more details about this effort? I'm for limiting commercial wild bluefin take, and not so hot on catch-and-farm either, but the details here are so scant:

https://www.change.org/p/california-...A1AYSAWmwY0%3D
Old 06-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
CaptainLeo

Re: End Commercial Bluefin in CA?

I think whomever started the petition should do a little more research and see exactly how much fish is taken commercially in Ca. It's just a drop in the bucket compared to what they take in Mex.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
BigJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatloaf View Post
Anyone know more details about this effort? I'm for limiting commercial wild bluefin take, and not so hot on catch-and-farm either, but the details here are so scant:

https://www.change.org/p/california-...A1AYSAWmwY0%3D
Sorry for being so late on this post don't look here often. I follow all the regulatory processes at the state, federal, and limited international level.

There are so many inaccuracies in this request about commercial fishing.
From the IATTC resolution that passed at this link http://www.iattc.org/PDFFiles2/Resol...-2015-2016.pdf (My comments are highlighted)

Quote:
Recognizing that the impact of the fishery for Pacific bluefin tuna in the WCPO is much greater (84%) than in the EPO fisheries (16%) and its rate of increase in recent years has been greater (Document IATTC 83-05, page 75);
WCPO = Western Pacific nations Japan, China, Korea, etc.
EPO = Eastern Pacific Mexico and USA.
So the EPO only takes 16% of the catch of Pacific Bluefin

Quote:
During 2015 and 2016, in the IATTC Convention Area, total commercial catches of Pacific bluefin tuna by all CPCs shall not exceed 6,600 metric tons, for an effective annual catch of 3,300 metric tons in each year. No CPC shall exceed 3,500 metric tons in 2015. . In the event that the total actual catch in 2015 is either above or below 3,300 metric tons, the catch limit for 2016 shall be adjusted accordingly to ensure that the total catch for both years does not exceed 6,600 metric tons.
Mexico gets 6,000 metric tons over the two years the USA gets 600 of that 6.600 metric tons.

I do not have anything to refute that Pacific Bluefin tuna are at very low stock levels based on the available stock status reports. I have a hard time with individuals/organizations saying the USA is to blame and we need to stop fishing. As you can tell the USA commercial catch is 1/10 what Mexico gets and combined the US and Mexico are only 16% of what is harvested worldwide of this species. These stocks are internationally managed and in the regulations if we do not harvest our small 600 MT over the 2 year period our allotment is already given to Mexico, so the US stopping only harms our commercial fishing families and does nothing for the stock.

That's my observation I can get off my soapbox now...
BigJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
FreediveCA

Thank you for this information BigJoe.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
rhyne

great info BigJoe... thanks for sharing.

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote