Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

View Poll Results: What Railgun Is The Best
Rabitech 15 3.67%
Rob Allen 139 33.99%
AimRite 52 12.71%
Evolution 4 0.98%
Mako 62 15.16%
Pelag 10 2.44%
Undersee Australia 0 0%
F*** Railguns I Use A Euro Gun 43 10.51%
Guns Are For P****s I Gotta Polespear/Sling 20 4.89%
Other 64 15.65%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #121
brandon cadalzo

Re: Railgun, who makes the best?

My pathos performs better than the aimrite supervenom I had

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #122
hatterasfreedvr

55cm Beuchat Espadon. I stoned a 250lb Mola Mola from 2ft away. Sushi rolls for days. Also shot a cockroach with it in my house. Chopped it clean in half. Can't argue with real world results.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:37 AM   #123
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I am fairly sure the mola mola thing is a joke.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #124
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
I am fairly sure the mola mola thing is a joke.
Yup. Juse humor. Carry on.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #125
SEATUX

How big was the cockroach?
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #126
tuffstuff
Mathew Goncalves

I still have the rabitech...no issues and hundreds of fish slain. That thing still slays fish with one rotten band and a rusted shaft. I never wash it, the only things that have ever lubricated the trigger mech has been fish blood and salt. 11 years and still going...

Last edited by tuffstuff; 11-12-2017 at 03:02 PM.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 AM   #127
Mikel_24

I read through the whole thread and something I don't really get is the prices of some of the non-european aluminum/carbon hollow barrel (round or oval) with open track, syntethic rear handle, and syntethic muzzle guns from the US brands. Railguns, pipe guns, euro guns... call them whatever you want, we know which guns I am talking about.

They are SO expensive. In Scubastore (at least in Europe) you can get a 110cm Pathos Laser Open Carbon with 2 16mm bands, 7mm shaft, reverse trigger, thick carbon barrel, etc ... for 250€-ish... and the cheapest equivalent (size) aluminum railgun made in the US gun is almost the same (no reverse trigger, aluminum VS carbon, etc.)

Besides being the US one being (let's be polite) based on an old European design about 20 years old (I have three of those Euro guns, so I know very well what I am talking about, and it has been confirmed to be my other spearos in Spain) while the Pathos is top of the line, latest design, best-est materials.

I don't even want to mention th Aimrite. Guns look great. Their price is out of this world (from my point of view, at least).

Besides spearfishing, I am into knives. I have many US brand knives (Spyderco, Benchmade, ZT, ESSE, Bark River, etc.) most of those I get to buy them there and getting them shipped because the prices here are waaaaay to expensive (import taxes and crap). This proves that you guys know very well how to manufacture good products, with good materials and still create affordable items while paying decent wages to us workers (or that's what they say, at least).

Now, again, what is going on with the guns? Why do you have such prices for such outdated designs? And don't get me started on the price of the shafts... Southafrican shafts made of Corean spring steel (Spearmaster shafts, I had one, sold it, have another on on the way)... for example.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:14 AM   #128
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
I read through the whole thread and something I don't really get is the prices of some of the non-european aluminum/carbon hollow barrel (round or oval) with open track, syntethic rear handle, and syntethic muzzle guns from the US brands. Railguns, pipe guns, euro guns... call them whatever you want, we know which guns I am talking about.

They are SO expensive. In Scubastore (at least in Europe) you can get a 110cm Pathos Laser Open Carbon with 2 16mm bands, 7mm shaft, reverse trigger, thick carbon barrel, etc ... for 250€-ish... and the cheapest equivalent (size) aluminum railgun made in the US gun is almost the same (no reverse trigger, aluminum VS carbon, etc.)

Besides being the US one being (let's be polite) based on an old European design about 20 years old (I have three of those Euro guns, so I know very well what I am talking about, and it has been confirmed to be my other spearos in Spain) while the Pathos is top of the line, latest design, best-est materials.

I don't even want to mention th Aimrite. Guns look great. Their price is out of this world (from my point of view, at least).

Besides spearfishing, I am into knives. I have many US brand knives (Spyderco, Benchmade, ZT, ESSE, Bark River, etc.) most of those I get to buy them there and getting them shipped because the prices here are waaaaay to expensive (import taxes and crap). This proves that you guys know very well how to manufacture good products, with good materials and still create affordable items while paying decent wages to us workers (or that's what they say, at least).

Now, again, what is going on with the guns? Why do you have such prices for such outdated designs? And don't get me started on the price of the shafts... Southafrican shafts made of Corean spring steel (Spearmaster shafts, I had one, sold it, have another on on the way)... for example.

Mikel
Interesting points and looking forward to hearing some thoughts.

I do wanna say this in reg. to Scubastore; though I am "guilty" of shopping with them once in a while I try hard to spread the wealth a bit;-).
Scubastore are really just a Wallmart of spearfishing (and everything else outdoors). They can do these low prices since they do humongous orders, have huge centralized warehouses, very little, if any, knowledgeable staff and likely low salaries, too. Whether or not they actually pay proper taxes in the EU I don't know, but the point is that they are the exact opposite of a good local store run by a guy who knows his stuff. (I have a great recommendation for one like that who ships all over Europe and has very competitive prices).

As for the whole European Euro gun vs. SA or US "Euro" gun debate, there are a few more nuances. I think many Euro guns from Europe are badly rigged with many sub-par parts and I think that's where the SA, OZ and US brands took a good thing and beefed it up a bit. Some is the age old cultural preference for beefier things in the US, some was def warranted as the prey they are after in e.g. SA and OZ is way tougher than in the Med.
Not that that answers your pricing question;-)
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #129
Marco

If you walk in any physical store in Italy or Spain (personal experience) you will notice that they have been stealing you in the USA. No need of on-line superstores.
Mikel: now you have to take a closer look to USA branded Asian made wetsuits. That's crazy too. Much more expensive that a taylor made Italian wetsuit built to your specs, with the neoprene type and camo that you want...

I think the problems in the spearfishing USA market are the middlemen and the lack of competition.
Another example would be shafts. You can get a very nice 7.5 mm Devoto shaft in Italy or a Cortes in Spain for less than 40$. And I'm talking about buying a single one in a store. And.we're not talking about Turkey or east Europe, were you can find even less expensive good quality products.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #130
Diver278

I love my Pathos Sniper 115 Roller. It’s very accurate and has the range I need for clear water in the Philippines and here we’re its not so clear.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:55 AM   #131
Mikel_24

Gecko,

Marco pretty much gave you an explanation of some of the good points you raised. And I am aware that Scubastore is not the best place to shop if you want to spread the wealth a little bit. I usually deal with Viñasub because they always go the extra mile to get exactly what I want. I chat with one of the responsibles through Whatssap to make my orders, that tells you something! And they often ship my stuff even before receiving the payment.

And Viñasub is still a lot cheaper than what I see in the US.

Regarding our kind of fishing, well... you nailed it. We don't need blue water cannons to fish here. In the Cantabric sea / Atlantic ocean, we rarely shoot anything over 5kg. And even for bigger fish 6 and 6,5mm shafts are plenty. You don't see often multiband spearguns.

And for the suits it is also true. Check PoloSub and Marea, top notch italian manufacture!

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote