Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 AM   #76
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!
Re: WSB Gun purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeco View Post
My point is that Ulusub guns can kill giant tuna so white sea bass should not be a problem. He's not in need of your opinion, just reminding us to consider buying one of his guns and be well equipped.
I guess i missed your point on your last post. Ive been wanting to get a pelagic UluSub for a long while now.
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #77
Behslayer

That's a prototype/custom for a guy headed to Baja next week, but I took the measurements and based on his feedback I'll make some more. Those are $700 shipped including Reel, Shaft, Bands, rigging and shipping.

Most of the people who contact me looking for a WSB gun are looking for a Rear Placed Mid Handle. We make a 3 x 5/8" band 150cm (tip of muzzle to the loading pad) Rear placed mid handle which shoots a 5/16" threaded shaft and 60yd reel. We make the same gun in 130cm which some guys like for lower vis kelp and a 155cm with option for 4 bands, which some guys like as a bigger WSB gun which they like for Yellowtail as well.
And we make Rear Handles. 120,140,160.

I've had guys who swear by 130 Rear Handles, and guys who use 165MH very effectively for heaps of big WSB, but the most common gun ordered for WSB is the 150MH.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #78
Zenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafe View Post
i had a WSB swim directly under me last year from behind. i didn't shoot it bc 1) i was kinda stunned and 2) i had a shorter gun with a flopper and hesitated further bc i wasn't really rigged properly. then it was gone.

so in your veteran opinions, what bad would have happened had i shot it with a flopper from close range?

why is a 90 a bad idea but a 130 is fine if you are in range for the 90?

why not shoot it in the head with a 90?
What was the rest of your gear?

In general a 90 will have less POWER to penetrate the fish, especially in the head. Ever tried working the stones out with a knife?
....but at close range sounds like it would work just fine. At a distance of more than 6 ft, I sure wouldn't count on it.

One time I had a good shot and the fish didn't run far. It would have been an easy retrieval if it wasn't for the soupfin and sevengill taking turns harassing the fish.

Another time I felt good about the shot placement only to have the fish take all of my 100' float line and 10' bungie. It was a fight for me to reach the surface while holding the last 2 ft of floatline coming up from 25' down. This same fish tied up 50' down. Without my CO2 carter float and a good knife I would have been screwed.

Another time I had a fish tie up 55' in cold dark murk. It was more than 1.5 hrs to retrieve that fish. There were 2 of us and we had a boat. Without a partner and a boat there is no was the fish and my gear were coming home that day.

Are you prepared for everything that will not go your way?
Get the best gear for the situation and you will have the best chance to have things will go in your favor.

....but then again you asked for a veteran opinion and this is just from a guy with relatively little experience.
Zenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #79
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

Personally, I like to be "loaded for bear" as they say. Too much penetration is a problem I (nor anyone I know) don't have to worry about. I've shot fish from fairly close range (8' away) and had the shaft stop at the backbone. Luckily, I stoned the fish, and it made for an easy retrieval. That is with a 57", 4-5/8" band gun. If a euro gun was in my hands, I'm not sure I would have broken the spine, and I may have lost the fish.

Sure, I shot a flopper for years, with great success. However, there may have been a few instances where the outcome would have been better with a slip tip. Another nice thing about slip tips is that once they're toggled, they allow the shaft to lay alongside the fish as it's making it's way through the kelp. This helps to reduce the chance of the shaft catching on some kelp and prying a hole in the fish.

Long story short, yes, you can shoot fish with a euro (even a short one), yes, even with a flopper. But should you? Probably not. Spend a little extra coin, and it will pay off when the opportunity presents itself.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #80
shafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenon View Post
What was the rest of your gear?

In general a 90 will have less POWER to penetrate the fish, especially in the head. Ever tried working the stones out with a knife?
....but at close range sounds like it would work just fine. At a distance of more than 6 ft, I sure wouldn't count on it.

One time I had a good shot and the fish didn't run far. It would have been an easy retrieval if it wasn't for the soupfin and sevengill taking turns harassing the fish.

Another time I felt good about the shot placement only to have the fish take all of my 100' float line and 10' bungie. It was a fight for me to reach the surface while holding the last 2 ft of floatline coming up from 25' down. This same fish tied up 50' down. Without my CO2 carter float and a good knife I would have been screwed.

Another time I had a fish tie up 55' in cold dark murk. It was more than 1.5 hrs to retrieve that fish. There were 2 of us and we had a boat. Without a partner and a boat there is no was the fish and my gear were coming home that day.

Are you prepared for everything that will not go your way?
Get the best gear for the situation and you will have the best chance to have things will go in your favor.

....but then again you asked for a veteran opinion and this is just from a guy with relatively little experience.
good words zenon. i had a 100' float line and a carter float but it would have been iffy to fully penetrate the fish with the gun i had.

the real kicker would be those deep drops. i don't think i have the breath hold to retrieve the fish at that kind of depth. you're lucky you had a boat and buddy. i think i would need tanks right now
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:21 AM   #81
Nano54

I shot a 50lb with a 100cm euro a few yrs back and the flopper hooked kelp and reef and stayed in the while the fish ran. So for every 1 ft the fish ran he pulled 2 ft reel line, pretzel the shaft and my reel almost broke off....I found this tends to happen alot more with floppers...to me u have to be a die hard euro guy and if u are go with mori tip and an american trigger with a solid line release system....you will never think"I wish I had that flopper and cheap trigger setup" as you are being drug through the kelp
Nano54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:40 AM   #82
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano54 View Post
I shot a 50lb with a 100cm euro a few yrs back and the flopper hooked kelp and reef and stayed in the while the fish ran. So for every 1 ft the fish ran he pulled 2 ft reel line, pretzel the shaft and my reel almost broke off
That is some hilariously bad luck dude.
Landed the fish though I bet didn't you
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #83
Fox55

I just bout a new VOODOO open rail 115cm from the scuba store 155$ and shipping was 80$. Haven’t got in the water yet but this gun looks grate.
Fox55 is offline   Reply With Quote