Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Old 08-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #16
Ric

Thumbs up Re: Got a 3+. Few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
However, going to a narrow field of view is probably not going to be acceptable. It will reduce how "small" things appear, but if it is head mounted
It's not like I have much to see anyways:
https://youtu.be/oj06I7PPexg
(Hero3+ silver, 1260X720p 60fps, Medium fov). Note: there is a bad compression since the clips went through Gopro studio (which sucks by the way) plus Windows Movie Maker.
But even so you may be right and 'Medium' is the best indeed, I got to try it once in Narrow.

Thanks to your nice video. Watching mine will make yours looks even better.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #17
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Re: Got a 3+. Few questions.

One thing nobody mentioned yet is the type of microSD card you are using.

Class 10 minimum, but the 3+ supports UHS-1 (the next step up from class 10) as well. If you are using less than a 10, it will have problems with high res, high framerate video.

It would be nice if the gopro supported UHS-3, but it's not listed as supported anywhere I can find on their site and it is probably overkill anyway.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #18
Ric

true. I have a class 10 Lexar
Old 08-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #19
Ron S

Ric,
That vis looks pretty close a typical day in NorCal, although we do sometimes see some clear, 40' vis days. It's also typically pretty dark, either due to overcast or lots of kelp. Often both. I'm thinking for that, 720 at 60 would be the best choice.

Jfjf, that's a great video! Looks like an awsome place to dive. Certainly well worth the higher resolution of 1080 and 60. That's more like the vis I found in Hawaii on my recent vacation. I just don't have a computer available at this point that would run that high of resolution video.

The 3+ also has the option of something like 920p, but only in wide. I kinda like the medium width, but that's only available in 1080 and 720.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #20
Ric

I think the 920p is not the same ratio than most hdtv or computer screen, so it must be cropped somehow. I never tried this 920p honestly.

Anyways, I can confirm than in moderately clear water under sunny sky, the hero3+ silver can shoot in max res of 1920X1080p 60 fps, no problems.
This is shown in my fist video (shoot in wide fov)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEAn41QGgvw
I assume that the lost of light in Medium field should have been minimal.
I could not dive very deep though.

@Ron, have you tried the narrow fov ?
Old 08-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #21
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I think the 920p is not the same ratio than most hdtv or computer screen, so it must be cropped somehow. I never tried this 920p honestly.

Anyways, I can confirm than in moderately clear water under sunny sky, the hero3+ silver can shoot in max res of 1920X1080p 60 fps, no problems.
This is shown in my fist video (shoot in wide fov)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEAn41QGgvw
I assume that the lost of light in Medium field should have been minimal.
I could not dive very deep though.

@Ron, have you tried the narrow fov ?
I haven't tried the narrow fov yet, and haven't tried the camera in the water at all. I will have it in a lake for some target shooting video on Friday.

I looked at my son's old gopro, (hero 2 I think). I had to install an aftermarket flat lens on it for underwater, which works OK for video, but the stills come out round. Anyway, I looked at his settings and he's been using 1080p and 30 fps for everything and his (and his brother's, who has the identical camera), turn out great.

So, since I don't have a computer fast enough to run 1080p at 60 fps, the question is, which would give me better video quality in dark water, 1080p and 30fps, or 720p and 60 fps? Or even 720 and 30?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:16 AM   #22
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
So, since I don't have a computer fast enough to run 1080p at 60 fps, the question is, which would give me better video quality in dark water, 1080p and 30fps, or 720p and 60 fps? Or even 720 and 30?
It doesn't matter how fast is your computer if your intention is to publish, to youtube for example. You will have to 'export' your 1080p 60fps to a viewable format for HDTV or youtube, which will compress your original files.

You should chose 60 fps if your camera is in a shaky location, like on your head, in my opinion.
I don't know if the tip of the gun is a better location (if you can find adaptors to your speargun), perhaps it is less shaky ?
I think the head is a more natural location. To me, it is 'put and forget' especially at 720p X 60fps. But as I said above, in clear water and sun, 1080p at 60fps produces the best shot. You have to try, you may have enough light for that.
720p X 30fps is really overkill, not necessary during daytime, not with the 3+ at least, which is said to be more sensitive than the gopro 2, unless you hunt at dusk or dawn, or night.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #23
Ron S

At this point I don't plan to export the videos, just watch them on my computer or even better, on my television. Sounds like 720 and 60 should be fine.