Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2010 Tournament Archives > 2010 Skin and SCUBA National Championship - August 2-6, 2010

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #16
dennishaussler

Re: Freedive Results

Just to clarify,
WE had a judge on our boat. Our boat driver, who we had never met before arriving in ark, attended the necessary meetings, and was fully informed of all rules. He informed us that he would be enforcing all rules, and we did not push any limits with him.
As well, we waited 3 extra minutes before starting to dive, as we were parked next to Bradleys boat, and did not want any contestation of start dive time. I personally was out of the water 10 mnutes early, as the boat needed more fuel and I did not want to deal with it on the run across the lake in that squall.

I agree that the lack of judges was a problem, did anyone cheat due to it? I think not.
My problem was with the diver that decided he needed so resolve this issue 13 minutes before the start of the game. The best thing for him to have done, was file a protest after the meet, and argue his case. Phil did the best he could with what he had, and calling BS on the whole thing 13 minutes before we go off was not the way to handle it.

Anyone who has attended boat based meets before, knows things are hard to put together. I was in the keys in 99, when they decided to not only change the eligible fish species on the dock morning of the meet, but also start the game late.
Thats the way it goes boys, you pay your money and you take your chances.

As for why some divers took 100# on a team, and others next to nothing??? Well, its all about right place right time. I dove with two veterans of the comp world, Glen and Mike McGuire, and Glen could not buy a fish! You could be 30yds from your team mate, and be seeing fish, when he was staring at mud.

I can say there was NO cheating on my boat, and none on any others that I knew of, or heard about. I can also say, after being in the winners circle more than once, theres always guys saying someone cheated, thats pretty much the way its gonna be. If you think you have a case, pay your 50$ and file the protest.

120 ft
Cause its a long way up,,,,,,,,
dennishaussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
AQUA ASSASSIN

CONGRATULATIONS DENNIS,MIKE,AND GLEN. Best man won,best team won bottom line. these guys put a ton of time into these events. If you want the same results put in the time and quit your bitchin.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #18
scubadown16

I wasn't there. I have had my differences of opinion with all three guys (Mike M.,Dennis,and Glenn) at one time or another. But let me say this. I don't think for a second any of these guys need to cheat nor did they. Lets see I am sure they were there scouting for more then a week, All three have been Spearfishermen of the year, All three have been on the world team, All three have been diving all over the world in various conditions and know how to compete when the time is needed. Your talking about carp. With that said. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just not their own facts... So unless you have some hard core prof I suggest you not make the accusations.
scubadown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #19
oto_gc
I like diving

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennishaussler View Post
care to elaborate on this???????

If someone is going to make accusations, they need to be prepared to substantiate theyre claims, and back them up.
This was a non stop work out, and one of the hardest meets I have attended. I welcome any reports or questions on how the tournament went, and what happened on the winning team.

Be careful here.
Dennis, I don't know you personally but I know you and your team are excellent divers. I wasnt there, I did hear some complaints directly from guys that were in the tournament. Hopefully they will voice them if they are valid.

that's all, thanks for clarifying and congrats on the win

Last edited by oto_gc; 10-04-2010 at 12:52 PM.
oto_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #20
dennishaussler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oto_gc View Post
Dennis, I don't know you personally but I know you and your team are excellent divers. I wasnt there, so like the other guy said, then I'm talking shit.
I did hear some complaints directly from guys that were in the tournament. Hopefully they will voice them if they are valid.

that's all, thanks for clarifying and congrats on the win
Thanks for that. Appreciate the honesty, and await someone coming forward if necessary.

120 ft
Old 08-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #21
Les Sage

FWIW,

Dennis stated his boat had a judge. I mentioned my boat had a judge. Phil Lamm informed me that the number two team also had a judge. So -- the winning three teams all had judges in their boat.

Les Sage
Les Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #22
joestl

Dennis, was your fishing guide your judge? Did you have to pay him?
joestl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #23
dennishaussler

Yes,
We did pay him for his time and boat use. I have to say, that the noise that was raised about judges, boat drivers and such, was made by divers that have never attended a national event before, and especially a boat based meet. This is not out of the perspective what happens at boat based meets, nor is it unusual. Also, it is not against the rules.

120 ft
Old 08-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #24
Adelito

actually dennis , all that "noise "was made by divers that have competed in various nationals. It probably sounded like "noise" because it isnt what you wanted to hear.

IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOU WIN OR LOSE, AS LONG AS YOU WIN OR LOSE BY THE SAME RULES.

At the end of the day, your still the champ, but its a shame you have to defend yourself on so many points which remain unclear.

As for paying $50 to protest, If someone has to cheat to beat me, I already won. I know many people that feel just like i do.

I did not have a judge on my boat, but i was expecting to have one, as it was stated in the meeting. But if i could have ,i would have bought (not brought) one too.

I Hope to see everyone in the keys next year.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #25
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelito View Post
If someone has to cheat to beat me, I already won.
Are you suggesting that the 27 people that beat you cheated, but you still won?
Sotolongo, Adelito Long Fins 13.75 lbs. (21 ) 5 34.15 39.15 Final placement-28
Old 08-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #26
Adelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Are you suggesting that the 27 people that beat you cheated, but you still won?
Sotolongo, Adelito Long Fins 13.75 lbs. (21 ) 5 34.15 39.15 Final placement-28
thats the best you could dream up from everything i wrote....

I get beat all the time, doesnt bother me in the least.I was just dissapointed in how poorly the 2010 nationals were conducted. I have been to three, and of the three this has been the only one where ALOT of the competitors left unhappy regardless of performance. MAYBE IF YOU SHOWED UP TO ONE, you would understand, consider that an invite to the keys next year.

Re-read what I wrote, maybe it will click.....
Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #27
spearmen camo

Sounds like CRH needs to put his money where his mouth is.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #28
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

You guys are freakin idiots. Did I say anywhere that I will beat you? No, I asked if you were suggesting that everyone cheated to beat you as you stated.
I know how big my dick is, I don't need a bowling trophy to prove it. Thanks for the offer though.
Chad
Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #29
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelito View Post
thats the best you could dream up from everything i wrote....

I get beat all the time, doesnt bother me in the least.I was just dissapointed in how poorly the 2010 nationals were conducted. I have been to three, and of the three this has been the only one where ALOT of the competitors left unhappy regardless of performance. MAYBE IF YOU SHOWED UP TO ONE, you would understand, consider that an invite to the keys next year.

Re-read what I wrote, maybe it will click.....
I'm not going to join in the banter. I thought the tournament was run pretty well.

I admit that the failure to have sufficient observers for all boats was somewhat disappointing, but certainly not surprising. Spearfishing is not as big of a deal in Arkansas as in many coastal areas, so it is no wonder that there were not tons of qualified individuals who were willing to take a full day off from work (on a Thursday) to drive around on a boat (some with zero shade) in over 100 degree temperatures with a forecast for strong thunderstorms in the afternoon.

I suspect that the MDC and Phil Lamm did their best considering the resource constraints they had. Hell, they even got the MAYOR of the TOWN to be an observer! Since it seems that ALL the high scoring teams had observers aboard (please, correct me if I am wrong), it appears to me that there might have been some forethought in how the limited supply of observers were allocated?

Possibly this might have been a "better" arrangement than doing a totally random distribution which would have been likely to leave some high scoring teams with no observer; I'm not sure that if I were in charge, I would have done anything different in this regard.

Possibly there were other issues which I am completely unaware of which caused other competitors to be unhappy. If so, maybe they could provide some details, but general statements that the tournament was run poorly don't seem to be that productive.

Last edited by jfjf; 08-17-2010 at 10:04 AM.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #30
Adelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
You guys are freakin idiots. Did I say anywhere that I will beat you? No, I asked if you were suggesting that everyone cheated to beat you as you stated.
I know how big my dick is, I don't need a bowling trophy to prove it. Thanks for the offer though.
Chad
no your an idiot, because that in no way is wat i said, and you must have a microscopic dick consideing all you do is run your mouth like alittle bitch. as for a trophy, you couldnt even buy one.

jfjf, please mention that this was your first nationals, and hace no basis for your opinion in comparison to other nationals events. And, you left out the fact that phil lam, the tournament director, was your driver/observer, which would be the basis for your opinion.

Running a nationals is hard, for sure, but if you put in a BID its cause you know what your doing, and ready to do it.