Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
BAYWRECKER123

best slip tip for a polespear

hey guys I bought the very large freediver unlimited pole spear hahaha i have a slip tip for it but dont really like it it is not as sharp as id like it to be and sharpening is not a plan because i have sharpened it to what looks like needle sharp yet i hit a snapper and it bounced off............... it seems like the tip is to long and does not stay on the actual spear part please let me know cost is not an issue i worked this entire summer just incase i needed something like this tell me the ABSOLUTE BEST type of tip or slip tip for this pole spear I was also thinking about getting a hawaiian tip but idk if it would fit on the thread i have
BAYWRECKER123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Spearo56
Water is still wet

Re: best slip tip for a polespear

Pics of rig?

Also how far are you hitting fish? sounds more like a power issue than a sharpness issue, I have slammed dull points into fis heads before with a 4ft fiberglass spear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepshead View Post
It needs a good dose of fish blood every week. Just put it in the ocean, it knows what to do.
BORN BRED AND SALTWATER FED

Aimrite Venom Comp 100 w/RA reel
Omer Cayman HF 90
Riffe Comp 2x
RA 90
Omer Cayman 45
Custom bubba mid handle 40"
6ft crist
Spearo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

why are you so interested in a sliptip? big fish? i like a three prong for the little pan fish and a basic 12" single flopper tip for the rest...I'm not chasing fish in blue water, just working the reef.
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
BAYWRECKER123

hahaha no i swear it is the sharpness or just that the tip is not very aerodynamic i want to shoot big mackerel , dolphin, big yellow jacks, grouper and snapper but this has just not cut it it is 8 ft just about with the current tip I have I want a smaller hawaiian that is the problem if i will buy one because I used to have one although it was very thick and with my old pole spear it was not nearly enough power plus it put a huge hole in my fish, the power is not an issue i pulled it 6 or 7 feet up the spear... thanks though
BAYWRECKER123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Spearo56
Water is still wet

MORI sliptip @ neptonicsystems.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepshead View Post
It needs a good dose of fish blood every week. Just put it in the ocean, it knows what to do.
BORN BRED AND SALTWATER FED

Aimrite Venom Comp 100 w/RA reel
Omer Cayman HF 90
Riffe Comp 2x
RA 90
Omer Cayman 45
Custom bubba mid handle 40"
6ft crist
Spearo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:23 AM   #6
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy

Tough to use the mori tip on most polespears, not enough shank to run it. I'm not familiar with the freediver's unlimited polespears, but there's some different tips that work well. With some modification, the JBL tip works fine. Aaron Crist makes a polespear sliptip that's nice. I hear good things about the sea stinger tip, though I haven't tried it. Personally, I use a Mori concoction on my Crist that has 2 floppers and all sorts of bad-assery on it. He said he hates making them though because of all the extra work involved, but who knows, you might be able to sweet talk him into making you one.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
White Shark
Fire up the grill!

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=101640

Here you go. The best on the market IMHO.

http://www.cristspears.com/

I don't practice "catch and release", I practice "catch and grease"...

Bene legere saecla vincere.

White Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:06 AM   #8
mallardtone-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy View Post
Tough to use the mori tip on most polespears, not enough shank to run it. I'm not familiar with the freediver's unlimited polespears, but there's some different tips that work well. With some modification, the JBL tip works fine. Aaron Crist makes a polespear sliptip that's nice. I hear good things about the sea stinger tip, though I haven't tried it. Personally, I use a Mori concoction on my Crist that has 2 floppers and all sorts of bad-assery on it. He said he hates making them though because of all the extra work involved, but who knows, you might be able to sweet talk him into making you one.

Hey Mnguy, I know this thread is several years old but I was curious about what kind of modifications you are talking about with the JBL slip tips? I just built a polespear with a bowfishing arrow as a tip. It is 8' 6" long and aluminum, havent had a chance to shoot it at a fish yet tho. I will be buyinga good one soon though. I am looking at a Riffe or Gatku but I would like to use the cheaper JBL tips with any pole spears that I build in the future.