Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing > California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA)

California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA) Here is a dedicated forum for the extremely important MLPA & MPA process

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.58 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #16
rrogueman
Eye of the Tiger

Location: Paradise City where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Re: California fish and game laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy View Post

I realize that we finally stickied one so it should be even easier than it was before, but the basics are something that people should be aware of on their own. That is why I made the comment that we ought to leave it in the main section. Otherwise, if it was moved to the regs section most newbies probably wouldn't even have seen it and would go out unsure of what is legal and what is not.
Ignorance is not the same as laziness, although one can lead to the other. There are people in this world who have a great fund of knowledge. They have a choice to make. They can pass as much of it on in hopes that it will help someone, or they can hold on to it and take it to their grave. If they choose to pass it on, then everyone benefits, and the image of the sport improves .If they choose the latter of the two options then there will be even MORE violations and MORE bad publicity. Education is power. Power is a responsibility. Do what you will with that responsibility. The fact that someone is even on the blog is a statement that they are at a bare minimum trying to learn. A fact that many seasoned spearos don’t seem to appreciate.

So I say, hold on to your knowledge and build a larger riff between the newbies or mentor them in the hopes that they some day will give back what they have learned.
The choice is yours and yours alone.
Rick
Old 08-19-2008, 02:34 AM   #17
bean_714
On the Prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy View Post
Because time and again we post up the regs, and even field the questions asked but people still ask again and again instead of doing at least a little personal vetting.

Use the search function on the boards, for example, or use the search function in the regulations PDF and ask for clarification if you don't understand it.

I realize that we finally stickied one so it should be even easier than it was before, but the basics are something that people should be aware of on their own. That is why I made the comment that we ought to leave it in the main section. Otherwise, if it was moved to the regs section most newbies probably wouldn't even have seen it and would go out unsure of what is legal and what is not.
You are right there are some that would do that and i am guilty of asking such questions. Maybe i am one of the few who takes advantage of all the tools that most of the regulars have put out there for us. One thing i can say for myself is that the only way i found this site was after i went out dived caught a couple fish and really wanted to get into the sport, driving me to search out all the info i needed. Thus landing me on this most beautiful spearboard, your point of view is greatly appreciated
bean_714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:06 AM   #18
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrogueman View Post
Ignorance is not the same as laziness, although one can lead to the other. There are people in this world who have a great fund of knowledge. They have a choice to make. They can pass as much of it on in hopes that it will help someone, or they can hold on to it and take it to their grave. If they choose to pass it on, then everyone benefits, and the image of the sport improves .If they choose the latter of the two options then there will be even MORE violations and MORE bad publicity. Education is power. Power is a responsibility. Do what you will with that responsibility. The fact that someone is even on the blog is a statement that they are at a bare minimum trying to learn. A fact that many seasoned spearos don’t seem to appreciate.

So I say, hold on to your knowledge and build a larger riff between the newbies or mentor them in the hopes that they some day will give back what they have learned.
The choice is yours and yours alone.
Rick
I don't think I wrote that paragraph very well. The basics, as I was trying to define, was the fact that there are rules and regulations to a sport that involves harvesting game. That is what I think that anyone getting into a sport like spearfishing ought to know as a fact of life. Beyond that, knowing that there ought to be rules and/or regulations governing such a sport one should at least search them out.

I'll share everything that I know about the rules and regs, and I have on plenty of occasions, but I'm not going to spoon feed it. There's a difference between giving someone a hand and giving someone a handout. Clarifying things after one has done their own vetting and is still confused falls under the former. Spoon feeding it because one is too lazy to at least put in the effort falls under the latter. Once again, this is why I made the statement that this thread was better served stickied in the main section than in the rules/regs/MPA section. Now there will be no excuse for not putting in the effort first, as its right there at the top of every page in the CA section.

On that note, I think that we're drifting far off course for the purpose of this thread. Perhaps it would be better served if we split this discussion off into it's own thread.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #19
rrogueman
Eye of the Tiger

Location: Paradise City where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Mike, I agree with everything you just posted. You guys here are a tremendous help. I guess I took it the wrong way at first. Please keep up the great work. Enough said
Rick
Old 08-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #20
Seacidal

Great thread guys. Thanks for your efforts and thoughts on the subject.

It is unfortunate that the regulations on something we love so much are so complex and changing. I've pondered this a lot and am inclined toward the view that there may be no other solution that would improve the situation. That doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying.
Seacidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #21
dbrunes

Hey guys,

My first post. I fish H&L, I spearfish, hoop and dive for lobs, and I surf... new to spearing. I am also a college grad and I have to say, I have been on the DFG website for countless hours in bed next to my wife who is like "what the hell are you doing till all hours in the night?"... and I am still majorly confused by the regs. I have made phone calls to the DFG to ask questions and they've had to call me back sometimes days later after running things by supervisors etc... Craziness. I wish there was a picture chart of all the types of fish, with simple bag limits, size restrictions and seasons. I've been on this board and often links are expired or people just direct me right back to DFG. One guys simply wrote the names of each type of fish and their size and bag limits and he got railed for being misleading... The DFG website is a major pain in the ass to navigate (but I do it, diligently) It certainly seems like there should be a simpler way, and I keep waiting for it to show up... and hoping that someone will have the answer to the newest "latest and greatest easy read" regs chart. But an 88 page manual of complete legal jargon is pretty F'ing complex to store in your head... and since the option of keeping a laminated copy tucked into your wetsuit is out... So until then, sometimes people will have to post "stupid questions" on the site and hope to not be railed as lazy. I am a newbie, a nub, but not lazy. I will not shoot anything that I am not 100% sure of the regs for... and that limits me quite a bit... but I am constantly reading, memorizing and evolving, so each time I go out, I have more options. I guess I took this opportunity to make my first post and get over the intimidation of entering an arena of people who know a whole lot more than I do. So far reading this board has been a great way for me to learn and more than anything, I wanna say thanks to all the contributors. Thanks for the patience and thanks for sharing with us who are learning. I will always respect the ocean and the living beings in it (us included). We all have something to learn from everyone. In specific regard to this thread, thanks to those of you who do anything to help make understanding the regs easier for others. Much appreciated!
dbrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
spearthebigones
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsbad View Post
Thank you for all your links & the google map, you've made it so that even noobs can tell where the MPA's are.

However, even using the resources in this thread would take a noob hours/days to figure out what one can take in their area. DFG website is the most confusing thing I've ever had to figure out. Even searching sb, google etc I can't say I know anything with enough certainty to pull a trigger on any fish & I'm no dummy.

Lazy or not it should be easy. It should be one and done. You guys shouldn't have to answer any questions, just refer someone to a post for their area or all areas.

It should all be on one page. I don't see why someone can't make a quick reference guide for each of the six major management areas with quality photos and basic spearfishing laws like bag limits/sizes etc

Or use DFG's fish ID page and make clear graphs for us.

Is there a newer thread on this subject where I should be posting this? If so, please put a link at the end of this thread & I'll move this post there.

Thank you
Fishing rules change almost every year and sometimes in the middle of the year. If someone made an easy to understand guide like that then they'd have to spend the rest of their lives updating and modifying it to make sure it's 100% accurate. Otherwise it would rapidly become useless and create more problems than it would solve.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #23
Carlsbad
Anthony & Sherrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearthebigones View Post
Fishing rules change almost every year and sometimes in the middle of the year. If someone made an easy to understand guide like that then they'd have to spend the rest of their lives updating and modifying it to make sure it's 100% accurate. Otherwise it would rapidly become useless and create more problems than it would solve.
Thanks, I'll delete my post