Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #31
Carlz

Re: Spearfishing in Belize

I didn't bother with getting a permit. However, if they catch a tourist out spearfishing, they will bust you unless you are accompanied by a local spearfisherman as guide. So if you want to go spear, you'll need to go with a local.
Carlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #32
mlamure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
From what I've observed, most of the charters in Belize are going to be a little sloppy by U.S. standards. Several of them won't take you spearfishing, but many will. I usually go with friends who own boats and live on Ambergris Caye, but one charter I have gone with several times is a guy named John Murray. He's a fun guy and very good spearfisherman who knows some good spots for hogfish and snapper. His rates are $175 for a half day and $250 for a full day. Only contact info I have is a BZ cell phone: 501-620-9433. He lives north of San Pedro about 2 miles but will pick you up at your dock. Tell him Wayno sent you.

I went down to Ambergris Caye and had a great time spearing and grabbing lobster with John Murray. Thanks for the info Wayno. He is about $300 a day now or at least during busy season. My kid had a great time too. It was his first time really spearing
mlamure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:21 PM   #33
Gonefishing82

Where do most of the guides operate out of ? I'm trying to plan out where to stay so I'd like to be nearby as this would be my first time there.
Gonefishing82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #34
Cameronv
Ando26

Going in 2 weeks, bringing a roller 120 rob allen with hot pink reel and gatku with cable slip tip. Staying in X'tan Ha. Any suggestions who is the man to guide? John is still around wayno?
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #35
Wayno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronv View Post
Going in 2 weeks, bringing a roller 120 rob allen with hot pink reel and gatku with cable slip tip. Staying in X'tan Ha. Any suggestions who is the man to guide? John is still around wayno?
John Murray is still around, and I have an updated cell phone # for him: 501-620-9433. Lobster season will be closed, but there are always some snapper and hogfish around. I know X'tan Ha well, the friends I stay with own houses about 1/4 mile to the south.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #36
Cameronv
Ando26

Very nice, thank you. I'll give him a call and report back!
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #37
Wayno

Fish inside the reef are small. If waves and wind allow, hunt the cuts and outside the reef - those are the places you'll find the bigger fish. If you have a flopper shaft, bring that instead of the slip-tip. Most of your shots will be into the rocks and will wreck the average slip-tip, especially with a 120 roller. The fish are very spooky and only give you one opportunity for a quick shot, which is usually in a hole or against the reef/rocks. A heavy-duty breakaway tip made for reef hunting will probably hold up OK, but the average slip tip used for pelagics will not.

Walk down the beach to the south a ways and check out Costa Blue (I think that's the name now, used to be called Costa Maya) while you're there. Good place to get a drink and a snack. Maybe half a mile further south, but still within walking distance, is Portofino, which has excellent food. Owner/manager of Portofino is a really tall, nice guy named Jan who I think is Dutch (maybe Danish or German, can't remember for sure).

Some other good places to eat, if REALLY good food at a reasonable price interests you:

Lazy Croc BBQ = about 2 miles north of town, 4 miles south of X'tan Ha. Open-air over a small lagoon, rustic but nice, watch free-swimming crocs while you dine on first-class BBQ. Haven't been there for a couple years and the rumor was the owner might be retiring, so ask around to make sure it's still open. Hours are limited and they usually run out of food before closing time, so go early.

My Secret Deli - in town, a local place that's very simple. If they have conch soup or crab soup on the menu, buy it to go even if you're not hungry. Everyone knows where it is, just ask a local. About 2 blocks back from the beach, straight back from Cholo's Beach Bar. The specials are always good.

Wariguma - another local place with zero atmosphere, but the burritos are fantastic and huge. Pretty sure it's on Center Street, ask any local for directions. My favorite is the chicken burrito and the lobster burritos are also good - one burrito feeds two easily.

Good luck, hope you have fun, and please tell John that Wayno says "hello." If you meet Waldo from Alaska and/or Lee from Minnesota at the X'tan Ha bar, buy him/them a drink, tell him/them it's from me, and send me the bill.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:46 AM   #38
anywater

World spearfishing event

http://www.freshwaterworlds.com/wp/usa-2017/videos/
Could use a little help promoting this World Spearfishing Event.
Our US team still has opening for women and Juniors and Masters 60+
But our foreign divisions have lots of opening.
Please review the web site above and call me with any questions
I really appreciate the help in passing this on
Mike McGuire
970-216-5902
anywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #39
agbiv
Spear, cook, and eat fish

We are making vaca plans for mid-August. Will possibly be a cruise stopping in Belize. Is Jon Murray still taking folks out? 1 spearo (me), 1 ride-along (wifie) who might snorkel and two little boyz 9 & 10. Do I need to bring my own gear?
Old 03-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #40
Wayno

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbiv View Post
We are making vaca plans for mid-August. Will possibly be a cruise stopping in Belize. Is Jon Murray still taking folks out? 1 spearo (me), 1 ride-along (wifie) who might snorkel and two little boyz 9 & 10. Do I need to bring my own gear?
I believe he does, but the issue with a cruise is that your port will be Belize City and John is on Ambergris Caye. To get to Ambergris either requires a 1-hour+ boat ride or a flight that costs $80/person each way. I don't know if the waters near Belize City offer much for spearfishing.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #41
shine

good info here. Will be in San Perdo last week of April, looking for a charter who can take wife and I out for a mix of snorkeling, spearing, and maybe some reef fishing
Old 04-23-2018, 03:36 AM   #42
Spark120

I would also love to see videos from this trip! Thanks for informative post
Spark120 is offline   Reply With Quote