Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
SC00BAD1V3R

Key Largo Spearing and Lobstering questions.

Alright so most of my keys spear experiences are marathon and south. But recently Ive been staying in Key Largo

Ive been trying to look up the zones, rules, and prohibitions for spearing (atlantic) and lobstering out of Key Largo. WAY too many pages and information to look over.

What ive gotten is 3 miles offshore you are fine to spear and lobster? I dont want to get popped because of a rules misunderstanding. Also is there a good place to get a zone map? If it is 3 miles, WHY is it such a big deal?

Thanks
SC00BAD1V3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
C_R8

Re: Key Largo Spearing and Lobstering questions.

Here's a bump, hopefully you'll get an answer..

3 Miles is state waters, once you leave state waters you're in federal waters..
C_R8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Snook Slayer
My Backyard Snook Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC00BAD1V3R View Post
Alright so most of my keys spear experiences are marathon and south. But recently Ive been staying in Key Largo

Ive been trying to look up the zones, rules, and prohibitions for spearing (atlantic) and lobstering out of Key Largo. WAY too many pages and information to look over.

What ive gotten is 3 miles offshore you are fine to spear and lobster? I dont want to get popped because of a rules misunderstanding. Also is there a good place to get a zone map? If it is 3 miles, WHY is it such a big deal?

Thanks
North of Long Key Bridge to Key Biscayne and out to 300' deep waters, Spearfishing is prohibited including in Federal waters. Lobstering is allowed but the rules are vary by site, so you need to research each site before you go.

If you want to learn all the rules, this website has made it easy to figure out where to spear & Lobster in the Upper Keys. They mark each site of whether you can or cannot spear and where you cannot lobster. They also sell their charts with the rules so you can use them on your phone or computer. Check it out!

Upper Keys Shipwrecks & Reefs - Diagrams, Rules, Details on sites

GPS Coordinates Chart with rules
Snook Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
Atvcowboy6

You can lobster in 3 miles in key largo but shoot out of 3 miles... I wouldn't recommend having shot fish on the boat while in 3 miles. But that's common sense. Good luck!

When the fish stop biting, start shooting!
Atvcowboy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
stillinscrubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snook Slayer View Post
North of Long Key Bridge to Key Biscayne and out to 300' deep waters, Spearfishing is prohibited including in Federal waters. Lobstering is allowed but the rules are vary by site, so you need to research each site before you go.

If you want to learn all the rules, this website has made it easy to figure out where to spear & Lobster in the Upper Keys. They mark each site of whether you can or cannot spear and where you cannot lobster. They also sell their charts with the rules so you can use them on your phone or computer. Check it out!

When did it go from rubicon/Elliot all the way up to key Biscayne? Is this a change in the last couple of months, or more bad info on the Internet?
stillinscrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
MIDNIGHT DREAMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snook Slayer View Post

From long key north you have to be 3 miles out all the way up to Rodriguez key
Then from Rodriguez key north is the 300' of water rule to the end of Keylargo or angel fish creek
Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
MIDNIGHT DREAMS

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...06#post1676406
Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
djsmits305
DJ

Send a message via Skype™ to djsmits305

There is literally over 100 threads below yours that explain perfectly the regulations. Snook Slayer has put together a TON of information, and that alone should be enough. Please, do a quick search.

6 miles out if you're north of Tavernier key. 3 miles out if you're south of it all the way down to mile marker 69 I think (Long key). You get really restricted all the way up here, so you have to know what you're doing, and be careful. Pennekamp is a big no, which is everything north of Tavernier key, and 6 miles out, up until dade county I believe. Lobstering is pretty much anywhere not protected, but there are some restrictions that I don't really know or care about.