Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Sponsor Announcements! > Manufacturers

Manufacturers Here is info relevant to manufacturers who are sponsors of Spearboard.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #46
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Re: JBL International

For those who haven't had a chance to play with the new JBL mech., it's very smooth and progressive. Without loading the mech. it's hard to tell if the let-off is crisp, but there's no reason to think it won't be. I hope JBL keeps the handle for guys with big mitts like me

Cheers, still putting the zap on fish with a S/O Magnum.
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #47
Bill McIntyre

If Mori is involved with the development of the guns, then its interesting that the handle seems to be an exact copy of the Aimrite handles on Wong guns. I've sent friends to Mori to get shafts, etc. for their Wong guns, and he always shows them a broken Aimrite handle, says they are junk, and then tries to sell them an Alexander handle as a replacement.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #48
Southern Cross

The gun looks good from here. If it is well built, and functions properly, there is definitely a niche for it. A $300 gun that shoots new JBL, Riffe, Aimrite, and other shafts interchangeably.

I really like it because local dive shops can carry these guns cost effectively. Which also means they will carry the shafts. An almost universal shaft notch would be great for availablilty and cost of shafts.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #49
yakfisher

Who sells the wetsuits and how can you tell which guns at a store have the new trigger?
yakfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #50
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL Hunter View Post
The wetsuit is pretty killer. The price is great at $240. Yamamoto material. Comes in 3mm and 5mm.
The wood guns will be available in open muzzel and closed muzzel.. Proto is pictured with closed muzzel standard 5/16 shaft and yes suited for slide ring. Open muzzel will havel 5/16 with 5/16 threaded w/wing shark fin shaft.
Yes that is a proto handle as our handle is going through final testing stages.
Stay tuned, I will let you knw when it is complete.
That is not the production handle.

If Kitto and Mori are involved I seriously doubt the gun is a "cheap wong copy." These are two of the biggest perfectionists in the sport.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #51
Wilddiver
Daryl Balfour

Ditto BigMako's comments...looks like a cheap rip-off of Daryl Wong's guns...
Though they do say that imitation is flattery...still, if they've blatantly copied Dr Wong's designs that's NOT nice.

Safe, Selective, Sustainable Seafood!
www.wildphotossafaris.com
www.diving-action.com
Wilddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:41 AM   #52
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

lookit everyone gettin their panties in a bunch when jbl looks to be producing some good shit. dont attack em when you havnt even seen the finished product let alone the other half of the gun. wetsuits look awsome waiting to see a proto of the hybrid.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #53
jupiterlocal

I have a new JBL Woody 38 special I used twice shore freediving. I purchased it to have a handy rock gun I could get under ledges and rocks. I used a JBL gun 20 years ago and dont remember having any power problems. What can I do to increase the power of my gun. I wounded 2 sheepshead and a Black Margate because of lack of penetration. They were all shot at 4 feet or less. My shot placement was on but I did not have the power to engage the barb system that comes factory with the shaft. Is there anything I can do? I am open to all suggestions besides getting a different gun.
jupiterlocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #54
ocean_hunter
One Lung

I'd say ditch the slide rings.
ocean_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #55
ROCKHIND

COME ON MAN! Lets see the goods.
ROCKHIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #56
jupiterlocal

Buying a Mako, but thanks for not answering the 3 e-mails I sent or the thread. You guys made my decision easier.
jupiterlocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #57
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

any updates JBL???
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #58
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterlocal View Post
I have a new JBL Woody 38 special I used twice shore freediving. I purchased it to have a handy rock gun I could get under ledges and rocks. I used a JBL gun 20 years ago and dont remember having any power problems. What can I do to increase the power of my gun. I wounded 2 sheepshead and a Black Margate because of lack of penetration. They were all shot at 4 feet or less. My shot placement was on but I did not have the power to engage the barb system that comes factory with the shaft. Is there anything I can do? I am open to all suggestions besides getting a different gun.
Yes, the new JBL sticker is worth another 3 feet of range. Install one new JBL sticker on each side of the gun, and one on the bumper of your car. The 2 on the gun are foe the distance. The one on the car is for flopper deployment!!

You can switch the bands up to 2-5/8 bands and will not see negative issues with the gun. Any more, and you will bind the mechanism and the gun will not perform well. Also, of you change the shaft, you can get a 9/32" JBL shaft with a single Hawaiian flopper on it that will allow for better penetration and a good secure hold. I also HIGLY recommend reworking the shooting line to remove that slide ring. It is like a parachute under water. I run the line through the shaft, ala euro style gun. Huge improvement.

With a little thought and tuning, you can turn the regular JBL guns into MUCH better performing tools. The plastic housings do not like powerful bands, so maybe you need to stick to 2-9/16" bands. Also, some of the mechanisms have a hardface brazed to the sear to give more solid contact area, We developed that when I was sponsored by JBL in 2000. I would not really want to power one up unless that mechanism was inside the gun. This is for folks who have them now and wonder what to do to make them better.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #59
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Guy Skinner was on my boat for 2 days using the New JBL Woody Magnum. He wasn't much of a rig diver at first, but I could tell from the start he's a natural born killer. Everytime I looked at that dude underwater he was pulling something else up.

He explained to me that he started with a mold of a trigger handle and dremelled it here and there, till the handle looked like the handle of a Colt pistol.

Guy has an arms background with Federal Ammunition, so wouldn't you expect something nice from a former arms dealer.

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #60
philellis

We just received our first shipment of the JBL one-piece Woody guns yesterday. The new M-6 handle/trigger assembly looks very nice. The fit and finish is good. Overall, this is a nice looking tool. Seems to be very well made and assembled. Feels very good in your hand. We couldn't even get them out of the box before the first customer bought the 63" Woody Magnum. He should be fishing the gun this weekend. I will post some of his feedback.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Last edited by philellis; 07-07-2009 at 01:07 PM.
philellis is offline   Reply With Quote