Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Dr.P

Blacktip Customs 42" 'Sheep Reaper' Review

I paid Bubba over at Blacktip Customs a visit late last year to get some ideas for a dirty water 'sheepshead' gun. You all may find this a bit strange, but 90% of my hunting is done just because I like to have fish that has never been in the freezer for dinner. What we came up with is a 42" mid-handle gun. Bubba let me try guns of various lengths to get an idea of exactly what I wanted. I found, for my build, that I can hunt with a 42" mid-handle in even the dirtiest water conditions we get here on the Gulf, and it still packs a solid punch. Bubba, at my request, made this gun with the same board of padauk for the center laminate that he used to make one of my other guns. The result, I think, is beautiful:

I had Bubba put in a penny from my birth year to hold the push rod in place. It's little touches like these that make buying guns from Bubba so enjoyable:

I took possession of the gun back in January, but some of you know that I really like to put my gear through the ringer before reviewing it. I typically use this gun 3-5 times in an average week. Most of my fishing with this gun is from my 17' SUP, and I often just head out for a paddle after work to pick up a fish or two for dinner. The gun has performed flawlessly. I've had the chance to make some shots all the way at the end of the line, and I've had many days of poor vis. The gun is dead on accurate, and shoots pretty much the same as my other Blacktips, so there really wasn't a learning curve. I know a lot of people don't get excited about 'little' guns and 'little' fish, but I absolutely love this thing. If I could only keep 1, this might even be it. I know Bubba is probably tired of getting texts of all the fish I find in the bay around my house, but it's just a testament to the fact that this gun makes it easier to bring home dinner in pretty much any visibility we get.

The old 2 sherpa with 1 spear trick

Blacktip always keeping food on the table:

I also picked up a new 67" BW gun that Bubba made with the most beautiful piece of teak I have ever actually seen. I haven't put it through enough testing yet, but will report back on it soon.

Hope this helps someone out there. If you want a no-nonsense fish killer that's going to work every time, consider giving Bubba a call.

-Dr. P-
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Bubbafishing
You scared? Get a dog.

Re: Blacktip Customs 42" 'Sheep Reaper' Review

Dr. P...

Glad you are pleased with your weapons.

Keep shooting em up...you certainly put your time in the water. We will get out soon with SmilinMatt for some freediving.

Bubba.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly… who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause." ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Bubbafishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #3
Dr.P

Re: Blacktip Customs 42" 'Sheep Reaper' Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbafishing View Post
Dr. P...

Glad you are pleased with your weapons.

Keep shooting em up...you certainly put your time in the water. We will get out soon with SmilinMatt for some freediving.

Bubba.
Thanks Bubba! ...and even though the idea was for a dirty water gun, it has kind of become my go-to gun for anything requiring pulling fish out of holes or a quick shaft. It's keeping the cooler full of mangs now.

Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote