Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 11-12-2019, 04:42 AM   #1
kodama

New C4 Gladius speargun

After wikileaks we now have spearleaks.

I heard about these new designs over a year ago. Now they are almost here.
I might be getting one.

EDIT: apparently they are still tweaking the design of the speargun and this would be a prototype. Changes will apply and it will be some time before they are available. Of what I understand they’re still working on it.

It seems like they are coming up with a whole new range of quality products.
https://youtu.be/SheYfFWw1-8

Last edited by kodama; 11-12-2019 at 09:45 AM.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
kodama

New C4 Gladius speargun

Note how they actually describe the length accurately.
It is actual length of the TOTAL BAND STRETCH from loophole to last shark fin.
How easy would it be if all manufacturers would do that? It would allow us customers to compare lengths accurately.

Last edited by kodama; 11-12-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
popgun pete

Re: New C4 Gladius speargun

Looks like they are changing the muzzles by moving away from their cross bar designs which are all variations on bike frame attachments.

As to lengths manufacturers often round numbers up for marketing purposes, hence a 110 may be a 107 cm gun.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:52 AM   #4
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

In reg. to the length, Kodama is - more likely - referring to how some brands have not adjusted the model designation to reflect using reverse triggers (or whatever is the reason). E.g. a Pathos 100 may be around the same total length as an older euro 100 but its band stretch length is 107cm.
Likewise, a Denton 100 has a stretch of 112cm.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:42 AM   #5
Andrew Makely

To bad they still arent using the muzzle from the Mr Dark. That seemed perfect.
Andrew Makely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:00 AM   #6
kodama

New C4 Gladius speargun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
In reg. to the length, Kodama is - more likely - referring to how some brands have not adjusted the model designation to reflect using reverse triggers (or whatever is the reason). E.g. a Pathos 100 may be around the same total length as an older euro 100 but its band stretch length is 107cm.
Likewise, a Denton 100 has a stretch of 112cm.

Yes indeed. Thanks for clarifying.

There is already a whole debate going on among the Italians about the muzzle design as shown.
Personally I really prefer a band hole over tie-ins at the muzzle but I can understand the reasoning against it. You really want to bring those bands up in line with the shaft as soon as possible. I hope they will tweak the muzzle design further without settling for a compromise.

It is also interesting to see how they moved away from the ‘shelf’ supporting the shaft as on the Graphite and Mr. Dark and have settled for a classic open track as with the Urukay.

I guess this model will replace the beloved Monoscocca that was very popular but got discontinued years ago.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:06 AM   #7
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Makely View Post
To bad they still arent using the muzzle from the Mr Dark. That seemed perfect.

There is a whole debate going on about the muzzle design. It might still change...
Old 11-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #8
popgun pete

The handle on the Monoscocca was not to everyone's liking, especially with those blocky lumps all over it. They improved the grip, but looked pretty agricultural, especially for the money being paid for a C4 gun.

C4 does not really have to reinvent the muzzle, there are plenty of loop band muzzles with band elevators, although one that prevented multiple bands tangling after the shot would be preferable.

Loop bands are quick to change over and equalize side to side, unlike single strand and socket muzzle bands.

No sign of the Gladius gun (there is a Gladius gun bag) on their 2020 preview https://youtu.be/SheYfFWw1-8

Last edited by popgun pete; 11-13-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
sacha58

Gladius gun might come out in Spring 2020.. there are still a lot of potential changes. personally I like the new muzzle , but would like it to have space for 3 bands and to have also a 130 size for shafts from 7 to 8 mm.

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #10
popgun pete

If C4 are going to have a new range of carbon fiber guns then I expect that rollers and inverted rollers may be on the menu. Taking a lead from the "Joker" it would be possible to offer one gun body with a range of muzzles to accommodate many speargun configurations, including rollers and inverted rollers. The "Joker" was designed for length variation, but it could also have been configured for muzzle changes. Rear band anchors could be arranged using the reel base, just as is done now with the Contesub accessories for C4 guns.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:09 AM   #11
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
If C4 are going to have a new range of carbon fiber guns then I expect that rollers and inverted rollers may be on the menu.
I was expecting the same thing when I first heard about new designs being developed and was actually quite surprised seeing only this classic model. But as we know now they are still in the development phase so who knows what else might be coming out from them.
It often takes a while before prototype spearguns are actually released. Economics, marketing, performance testing and development all play a significant role.
For example I have seen new Pathos prototypes two years ago. Inverted rollers and triggers with side line release and none of these have hit the market yet.
Let's hope the C4 models will actually be available next spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Taking a lead from the "Joker" it would be possible to offer one gun body with a range of muzzles to accommodate many speargun configurations, including rollers and inverted rollers. The "Joker" was designed for length variation, but it could also have been configured for muzzle changes. Rear band anchors could be arranged using the reel base, just as is done now with the Contesub accessories for C4 guns.
Personally I would rather see a dedicated muzzle for each particular design. the specific and unique designs of C4 with an emphasize on maneuverability is one of their main appeals. Let's hope they don't start making a 'one size/system fits all' gun of the Gladius.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
kodama

So it seems to be official now.
Here is the latest picture.

Msrp will be €579 but I have no idea for what length that is.

There has been much debate about the muzzle design and opponents argue that this design will loose performance because the bands are not perfectly in line with the shaft.
Another argument was that the bands loose speed while retracting because they could touch the CF.

I doubt that these arguments are true or would have any measurable effect. I dare to hope that C4 did some proper testing and building on their previous experience.

Would love to hear your thoughts about this design.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #13
popgun pete

The blurb from their Facebook page.

"SPEARGUN GLADIUS

GLADIUS is a monocoque speargun entirely manufactured in 100% high modulus carbon fiber.

GLADIUS is a fast hydrodynamic gun featuring a rigid barrel for very sharp and stable shooting. It is versatile and can be used for different types of hunting.

It has a shape of a cuttlefish bone with a reduced head and a higher volume towards the hand. This shape makes it well balanced and easy to handle in the water. It has an integrated shaft guide over the whole barrel.

The behindhand triggering mechanism is C4 “Auto-R” with an integrated line releaser that can be positioned on the left or on the right side. The mechanism and the trigger are entirely manufactured in stainless steel AISI316.

GLADIUS is sold with two anatomical and adjustable handles. The head, which is integrated in the barrell, is made entirely in carbon fiber and can feature single or double latex bands with a diameter up to ø18mm. On the head there are two hook shaped stainless steel line holders on the sides and one line holder screwed to the bottom of the barrel.

The handle butt is covered in soft plastic material to have more stability during the charge. GLADIUS can mount C4 HERCULES reels.

Recommended public price from 579,00 euro."

When you see the word "from" that means the shortest model will be that price! 850 mm "barrel", 1200 mm rear of the handgrip to the spear tip, excluding the cocking butt. USD 643

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-05-2019 at 06:44 PM. Reason: extra comment
Old 12-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #14
popgun pete

Well it looks like they are relying on the bands getting off the barrel before they approach the muzzle by turning the barrel deck downwards and curving away. If you use cord wishbones and they skate the band ends along on the top deck then they can lift the spear tail up (e.g. Riffe) as the wishbone approaches the muzzle. The longer the gun the less effect inclined bands have with a below spear axis pull from the muzzle band anchor, spearguns have been made that way for decades. The gun follows the lines of the Graphite to some degree judging from this angle. Butt pad has something attached to it instead of just the carbon fiber rear end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C4 Gladius.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	244571   Click image for larger version

Name:	C4 Gladius detail.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	244572  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-05-2019 at 04:29 PM. Reason: added a photo
Old 12-06-2019, 02:08 AM   #15
kodama

I just noticed that the bands on the 105 model are installed improperly causing them to sit on top of each other at the back end of the spear!

Wow that is a nice **** up. They better take new pictures for their promotion...