Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
Capt. Mark
Contact Cell 313-207-8844

Go to for Powerheads

I've tried a few things but i'm wondering what everyone uses to seal their ammo for powerheads. I've tried clear nail polish and Blue Loctite, I wasn't impressed by either one. In fact the loctite didn't work at all...

Suggestions?
Capt. Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #2
Dbrown

Re: Go to for Powerheads

What caliber bullet?
I've had no issues with nail polish. Ensure i do the primer and where bullet meets casing. Usually do 2x. Second coat next day. 1st coat has to be dry. I use 223. As long as I can hear powder moving in bullet prior to going in the water, they have been good to go. I use colored polish, but expect clear would be fine.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
jfjf

two coats, different colors of nail polish to help ensure coverage. As above, primer and the perimeter around where the bullet meets the casing. I wonder if brass ammo is better than cheaper aluminum casings?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mark View Post
I've tried a few things but i'm wondering what everyone uses to seal their ammo for powerheads. I've tried clear nail polish and Blue Loctite, I wasn't impressed by either one. In fact the loctite didn't work at all...

Suggestions?
You should have used RED locktite...it dries hard as a rock, the blue doesnt.
I used to use nail polish, which is better than nothing, but the red locktite is the hot set up....one disadvantage is...it takes days to completly harden, but once it has your good to go.
Something I have thought about using, but have yet to try, is a drop of epoxy resin...that should work and of cource it hardens FAST. As with the locktite, the resin would have to be kinda spread smooth across the primer, not a glob.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:08 AM   #5
SEATUX

There is another option;
I have a friend that is a "gun nut", he saw me sealing a "batch" of shells one day and asked WTF?
He went home and brought back 3 boxes of shells for me, "here use these instead".
When I looked at them they looked just like the ones I had sealed, a hard red coating on the primer. They are factory sealed rounds by;

Sellier & Bellot a.s, Lidicka 667
258 13 Vlasim, Czech Republic
www.sellier-bellot.cz

And these Never leak!

( The box has a large FMJ writen on it, that may or may not indicate the sealed primers)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #6
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

bright orange nail polish I usually do 3 or so coats but i seal up a whole box at a time. I use both .223 and .357 sealing at the primer and where bullet and casing meet.

FYI: FMJ just means Full Metal Jacket.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
There is another option;
I have a friend that is a "gun nut", he saw me sealing a "batch" of shells one day and asked WTF?
He went home and brought back 3 boxes of shells for me, "here use these instead".
When I looked at them they looked just like the ones I had sealed, a hard red coating on the primer. They are factory sealed rounds by;

Sellier & Bellot a.s, Lidicka 667
258 13 Vlasim, Czech Republic
www.sellier-bellot.cz

And these Never leak!

( The box has a large FMJ writen on it, that may or may not indicate the sealed primers)
S&B ammo is among the best out there. Most of it is Berdan primed and lasts for centuries, even stored in less-than-ideal conditions. All are military-grade hard primed and sealed against water intrusion. Good choice if you can find them in your chosen PH caliber.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #8
SEATUX

Hey grey2112..
Thanks for the input!
I didn't have any Idea...all I know is I don't have to seal rounds anymore, these are ACTUALLY waterproof!
I make my own PH...and in the process they get encased in epoxy inside a steel pipe, the weak link is the primer, the rest of the shell is coated in "glass" and this primer is good for MANY repeated dives to depth and still dependable.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #9
DIVERTOM

Send a message via AIM to DIVERTOM Send a message via Yahoo to DIVERTOM

I use .223 blanks and never had an issue yet with nail polish and way safer on the boat and to transport.
DIVERTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #10
Capt. Mark
Contact Cell 313-207-8844

Tried the Red Loctight an it's not working very well. Still wet after 5 days. Looks like i'm back to nail polish. Just didn't like it because it chips easy when the rounds are in a bag. Waiting for a women to say "welcome to my world"
Capt. Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #11
grey2112

Quote:
Hey grey2112..
Thanks for the input!
I didn't have any Idea...all I know is I don't have to seal rounds anymore, these are ACTUALLY waterproof!
I make my own PH...and in the process they get encased in epoxy inside a steel pipe, the weak link is the primer, the rest of the shell is coated in "glass" and this primer is good for MANY repeated dives to depth and still dependable.
One thing to note - make sure to use BRASS S&B ammo. If you use steel case you'll have to discard the round at the end of the day due to corrosion beginning.

Honestly, I've got close to 20,000 rounds of 5.56 so I just pitch the round I have in the PH at the end of the day - I'll never go through all my ammo.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mark View Post
Tried the Red Loctight an it's not working very well. Still wet after 5 days. Looks like i'm back to nail polish. Just didn't like it because it chips easy when the rounds are in a bag. Waiting for a women to say "welcome to my world"
Like I said;
Quote:
You should have used RED locktite...it dries hard as a rock, the blue doesnt.
I used to use nail polish, which is better than nothing, but the red locktite is the hot set up....one disadvantage is...it takes days to completly harden, but once it has your good to go.
Something I have thought about using, but have yet to try, is a drop of epoxy resin...that should work and of cource it hardens FAST. As with the locktite, the resin would have to be kinda spread smooth across the primer, not a glob.
Takes a long time to get hard...that's why maybe epoxy...or like I posted about the factory sealed rounds.