Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
blitzemall

PADI or Fii

Are both solid choices for Freedive instruction?
blitzemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
adriangarz1206

Re: PADI or Fii

Both are great , safety is key and both agencies do an incredible job, i have sat through 3 fii level 1s and 2 padi feediver and 1 master freedive course. I personally felt much more at ease with padi when it came to statics and actual diving ..fii is more numbers oriented while padi was more about the body and mind ..Hope it helps ..pm me if you have more questions
adriangarz1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

I have taken the evaluation test for Padi level 3 and Aida 4* (level 3 equivalent). PADI was more topical and much less robust in its (paper) testing requirements. AIDA was challenging with a lot to digest. I imaging FII or PFI would be more akin to AIDA while PADI is more about churning out divers. ( I did take a PFI level 1 course). Padi does focus intensely on safety for sure. So I am not saying one will make you a safer diver, maybe just more knowledgeable.
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
skram
Sam S. / Descent Apparel

I have taken both level 1 and level 2 of PADI and FII. I have nothing but good things to say about either. My PADI class included some dynamic apnea and some good stretching routines which was nice. Both essentially have the same criteria. It can really come down to the individual instructor and how they teach. It would be hard to choose between them. Go with whoever is local or involved with your local shop if possible.
skram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Padi comes out of the Scuba community where FII comes solely out of the freediving community/world.

The freediving Padi certification is less recognized outside of the Padi world than the FII or PFI certifications which are recognized worldwide in the freediving community.