Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-02-2019, 06:10 AM   #1
Alcedo Pete

Alcedo spearguns possible info.

Hi. I did a search on Google for alcedo spearguns and ended up here. I have been using these guns since I was around 13 maybe even earlier which was back around 1974. I may be able to help anyone after some info on these guns. First time I have been on this sight so am still trying to work out how it works.
Alcedo Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Alcedo spearguns possible info.

There is a lot of info here https://forums.deeperblue.com/thread...tic-gun.96940/ including parts diagrams, the instruction manuals and how the guns operate. All three versions are shown, the Hydra, the Hydra II and the Sprint 62 which was the last version. (shown below)

popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcedo Pete View Post
Hi. I did a search on Google for alcedo spearguns and ended up here. I have been using these guns since I was around 13 maybe even earlier which was back around 1974. I may be able to help anyone after some info on these guns. First time I have been on this sight so am still trying to work out how it works.
Welcome Pete,

I guess the Alcedo guns are the ones with the rubber bladder inside the alu housing. If so, perhaps you can tell us a bit about how you have used these guns over the years but also how you have kept them alive - especially the proprietary rubber parts - this long? Did you stock up on spare parts decades ago and keep them in a special controlled environment lab...?;-)

Feel free to do it here or perhaps even better to add your real world user's perspective in that thread that Pete linked to in the post above. I know it's a bit unorthodox and perhaps unfair to "poach" you and have you go through the hassle of signing up on another forum but the forum in that link honestly has a much wider user baser of spearos using pnematic guns. It may be because there are many more Europeans on that forum. No matter what, it is definitely the go to place for everything pneumatic.

Either way, welcome again!

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 09-03-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:18 PM   #4
popgun pete

For those who wonder how you can pump water at high pressure the answer is that you use a water displacement pump where instead of a piston on a pump rod moving down a pump barrel bore the pump rod acts as the piston using its volume as a displacing element sliding through a seal at the top of the pump barrel.

The pump rod 299 has a tapered tip that pulls free of the seal that it is pushed through when the pump handle 296 is at its most rearward position. That allows water to refill the pump body 288. When the pump handle is pushed forwards by pressing on rubber knob 298 the rod tip enters the seal thus closing it off and then as the rod advances it displaces water inside the pump body. The displaced water injected into the gun with each stroke is the volume of the rod. A check valve where the hydropump attaches to the gun stops water flowing backwards when the pump handle is pulled back for the next stroke. The hydropump's effective bore is the diameter of the rod and thus the force required is as low as possible with such a reduced cross-sectional area.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote