Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #16
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

Re: weight of SS spears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Jason, this is all only part of the puzzle. Even if you know exactly how much weight to add.. you still don't know where to add it.
i add it at the muzzle and at the butt. The first thing I want to know is how much to add - to make the gun about 50 grams heavy.

fyi - I have a huge ballast tank at the marina that is 200 yards from my house- I usually walk my dog over there and do my balancing there.
I am just tired of doing the first part (figuring out how much I can add) in the water - it eats time a bit. If I already know how much weight i need - then I will add slightly less than what I need under the track like normal - then I can just add weight to the back - under butt pad - behind mech.

According to the original pool tester website (Kitto) - there is better results from putting the weight at the butt and and the muzzle - rather than putting it all at the center point. If you put it at the center point - it causes more flip at the muzzle.

What I am going to do for my rear handle wood - reef sized guns- is make removable weight pockets -one under the line anchor and one in the handle bottom - where you can change different weights for different spears - and still get perfect balance.
I never figured it mattered all that much - since I personally don't care if the gun sinks without the spear or floats with it- I will still do what I gotta do - but others seem to care - so I may as well try to play with it.
Just something else to mess around with - believe me - I know it's mostly wasted time - since your average person doesn't know or care about this kindof stuff- it's mostly for the SB connoisseurs . and for entertainment.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #17
Behslayer

Re: weight of SS spears

It's definitely not wasted time. Considering how much time you put in to make the gun perfect. Ballasting is as important as balancing in getting that end goal reached. Unfortunately wood is not inert.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote