Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #136
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Re: Ermessub Double Roller Trigger Test

Some more results with the Ermes roller mech, from yesterdays solo seamount sesh.
Spine shot on all three, gotta love the break on this mech
unfort fish #4, a biiiig spanish, was NOT a spine shot and got smoked by sharks, was impressed how the double offset floppers held in that soft fish tho, towing me around on the board, and going deep. Much better hold than single flopper without the hassle of setting sliptip every load.
Now launching into another 3 band 143 stretch build on this mech, this time with integrated handle a la Dr P, bloody slow job with handtools, but soooo looking forward to pulling the trigger with all that power and that ultra high handle
BTW, I dont have a Gopro, otherwise i'd be posting action footage, not just more dead pelagic pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1200430.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	235146   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1200438.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	235147  

Last edited by kavachi; 08-29-2017 at 07:57 PM.
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:01 AM   #137
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Worked a little with these mechs today. The mech is quite elegant. Mario did an excellent job with this. He raised the bar not just with the design, but the finishing is very nice and the peening, and the draw is very smooth. Looking forward to pulling this trigger.
Just want to know if these depth is 6.9mm or no i have pocket for sigal easy mechanism top of mechanism to bottom of wing .

Sent from my SM-A320F using Tapatalk
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:15 AM   #138
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
Just want to know if these depth is 6.9mm or no i have pocket for sigal easy mechanism top of mechanism to bottom of wing .

Sent from my SM-A320F using Tapatalk
The Sigalsub mech is 16mm while the DR mech is 14.6mm ... with the peened pins it is a little more. So the mech pocket should be a perfect fit ... and if it is a little loose ... just one or two coats of epoxy will fix that. The total length of the trigger is also slightly more than the long DR so that should be fine. The distance in the picture that you are pointing out to is really not important as the DR is not a pinned trigger but rather a leaf trigger that has the connection on side screws. You won't be able to use the side slots you have for your Sigalsub trigger (I am assuming that is what you want to know). Once you get the trigger ... just stick it in the mech pocket and adjust the depth seating of the arms to your track and shaft by removing a tiny amount of wood to let the leafs embed in the gun. Unlike with a pinned trigger, with a leaf trigger you can always readjust or fine tune trigger seating by adding or removing small washers under the leafs. With a pinned trigger you would have to either change your track height or re-pin your mech. Shaft manufacturers don't always use the same tolerances ... so if you shoot many different shafts you could get a situation where your trigger to shaft seating needs adjustment for best results.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #139
spearq8

Just noticed something today ... haven't been in the pool for over 2 months, but today I had another try with a normal friction seared trigger with the same frame as the DR trigger. I definitely noticed that the DR trigger has just a different and much smoother release. I think what is happening is that with a normal sear, the shaft has to jump over the shaft sear hump to get out ... but with the DR trigger there is no hump, but rather the sear just drops and rolls down and out of the way. Thus the shaft comes out much smoother and more stable. This would probably affect thin light shafts much more than heavier shafts. The accuracy was certainly not the same ... but then it could be that I am just still zombied out and jet lagged from a long night flight.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:16 PM   #140
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Ermes dbl roller mech X Hunt 'Doggie Special' shaft = match made in heaven.

these shafts really are bluewater ready out of the box, no dremeling or filing edges or holes, just crimp on and go.
I HAVE shortened the tail to gain inch and a half bandstretch, pic below, but thats just me being pedantic. only took hacksaw, round file and a beer

big big thanks to Majd for bringing together all these components into one ultra compact devastating package, and doing the hard yards to optimise every part of that package. and to Mario's work on the mech, Victor's continual evolution of the Abellans, and the SB members who have helped out with all sorts of advice and tweaking

now to build it all into an integrated handle design, a la Dr P........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4861-2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	235448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4852.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	235449  
Old 10-05-2017, 03:17 AM   #141
spearq8

Holy moly ... you really have things maxed out to the absolute maximum!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #142
Red Tide

I think you could have squeezed 1 more mm out of that setup. Hahaha! Good job

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
Ermes dbl roller mech X Hunt 'Doggie Special' shaft = match made in heaven.

these shafts really are bluewater ready out of the box, no dremeling or filing edges or holes, just crimp on and go.
I HAVE shortened the tail to gain inch and a half bandstretch, pic below, but thats just me being pedantic. only took hacksaw, round file and a beer

big big thanks to Majd for bringing together all these components into one ultra compact devastating package, and doing the hard yards to optimise every part of that package. and to Mario's work on the mech, Victor's continual evolution of the Abellans, and the SB members who have helped out with all sorts of advice and tweaking

now to build it all into an integrated handle design, a la Dr P........
Old 10-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #143
gspearguns

I decide to put Ermes DR short version on one of my guns. Here is how I made the pocket for trigger mechanism.

Few guys asked me what is that black thing.. It's mixture of epoxy resin and 10% graphite powder. First step is making pocket in the wood 1 mm larger in all directions and filling it with that mixture. Second step is final pocket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ermes 1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	235704   Click image for larger version

Name:	ermes 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	235705   Click image for larger version

Name:	ermes 3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	235706   Click image for larger version

Name:	ermes 4.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	235707   Click image for larger version

Name:	ermes 5.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	235708  

Name:	ermes 6.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	235709  

Last edited by gspearguns; 10-20-2017 at 02:52 AM.
gspearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #144
jstiver09

Looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #145
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

thanks for posting g!
thats the Short version yeah, and its got the new return spring on the line release. looks good!
be great to hear how it shoots, how you like that dbl roller break
Old 10-20-2017, 01:37 AM   #146
gspearguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
thanks for posting g!
thats the Short version yeah, and its got the new return spring on the line release. looks good!
be great to hear how it shoots, how you like that dbl roller break
Let me tell it this way - this is the only trigger after mine and Abellan which I could put on my guns.
Of course between triggers I had im my hand.
gspearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:44 AM   #147
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspearguns View Post
I decide to put Ermes DR short version on one of my guns. Here is how I made the pocket for trigger mechanism.

Few guys asked me what is that black thing.. It's mixture of epoxy resin and 10% graphite powder. First step is making pocket in the wood 1 mm larger in all directions and filling it with that mixture. Second step is final pocket.
Beautiful work and attention to detail and thanks so much for sharing your knowledge so readily. Personally, I am not about to build any wooden guns, but I can certainly appreciate your workmanship and attitude.

As for others looking to do this - don't go overboard on the graphite content. It can make the resin brittle. 10% sounds like a sweet spot. Alternatively, add some microfibers, too but that might negate some of the friction reducing properties the graphite adds(?).
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:42 AM   #148
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspearguns View Post

This is amazing.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #149
Behslayer

Tight Millin
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #150
gspearguns

This is how it looks on shaped wood.
Attached Thumbnails