Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Nanna Arms

Abellan Denton Handle

G'day All,

Just wondering if anyone has ever ordered a handle from Abellansub? I'm looking at doing some different guns and the handle seems perfect from what I can see. I really love his design, it is a beautiful gun.

Has anyone felt one before? Are they a nice grip? I can't find a production handle I like in my hand, nothing seems to fit nicely. I have made my own timber ones which are nice but with carbon and vacuum bagging I wish to attach the handle later to make it 100 times easier to cover.

Cheers,

Daniel
Nanna Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver
Re: Abellan Denton Handle

Best gun, trigger, handle and power for its class and size. Yes I am a fan!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
Nanna Arms

Everything about them screams quality and so much thought to get everything out of the gun possible. I would buy one but I make my own guns so I have to make something!

Only thing that bugs me is the shipping on 3 handles is the same price as the handles!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
spearq8

I bought 3 of the Abellan handles and they seem to be made of some sort of composite material that can be cut and shaped just like wood. It is different than the handle that is on the Denton gun in a sense that it is left with a lot of extra material to work with into your own design. The grip is simply the best grip you can buy, and by best I mean the best fitting grip that gives your hand the support it needs for dissipating recoil and from twisting the gun inaccurately. I know a lot of you won't believe this, but if you shoot a gun with more than one band that has relatively good power, the grip and the way you hold the grip, has a lot to do with how accurately the gun shoots. I know that as I have tested that in pool testing and was quite surprised with the results myself.

Now back to the Abellan Denton gun ... it really is the best designed speargun I have put my hands on, and I own more than 80 spearguns. Not to make it sound like there are other guns that are not awesome, but shooting the gun you really get to appreciate that a lot of thought was put into every single aspect of the gun and everything works together in perfect harmony (including its custom shaft). The lines of the gun are very pretty and the color camo is red and black (perfect for underwater camo). The handle is way up high in the CG of the gun to allow maximum absorption of recoil, and the handle fits your hand like perfectly snug and you really feel you can't miss. The gun maximizes its band stretch by using no band slots and having a simple SS cover to hold the bands (why don't all guns do this?) and it uses a reverse trigger to give maximum band stretch for minimum size. To give you an example ... the Riffe Euro X 120 wood stock is 158cm long and the Abellan Denton 120 is 134cm long ... yet the effective band stretch of the Riffe Euro 120X is 123cm while the Denton 120 is 122cm! So the Denton has 1cm less band stretch yet it is 24cm shorter over all !!! Of course some of that has to do with the Riffe Euro X big extension, but still there is a net gain and allows the gun to be much more compact. Another thing is the shaft that the Denton uses, it is a custom 7.5mm SS shaft with very nicely tucked in mini fins and the fins are all the way back ... AND ... it has a rest tab that makes easy loading and a long butt extension unnecessary. It also has only about 14cm of overhang which keeps the shaft from shooting low, and the SS band holder (mentioned earlier) doubles as a shaft flopper holder and keeps the flopper from dangling annoyingly. The Abellan also uses a custom reverse trigger that avoids the complications of having to hone the sear to get that smooth perfect crisp trigger pull ... it uses a special plastic material on the trigger that allows the trigger to slide in a predictable smooth manner for a super crisp let off. The gun also uses lead shot pellets for perfect balancing and can be tuned depending on what you like or what salinity you are hunting. Some might not like the feel of the pellets swishing but they can be easily held and kept silent. One thing I would have liked is a magnet to hold the shaft, but apparently this was not used due to worry about corrosion of Neodium magnets (never had a problem personally). Don't know what else to say, but really this is just a well designed gun by someone who has pretty much intensively tested and improved every tiny little thing that could improve performance.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
greekdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I bought 3 of the Abellan handles and they seem to be made of some sort of composite material that can be cut and shaped just like wood. It is different than the handle that is on the Denton gun in a sense that it is left with a lot of extra material to work with into your own design. The grip is simply the best grip you can buy, and by best I mean the best fitting grip that gives your hand the support it needs for dissipating recoil and from twisting the gun inaccurately. I know a lot of you won't believe this, but if you shoot a gun with more than one band that has relatively good power, the grip and the way you hold the grip, has a lot to do with how accurately the gun shoots. I know that as I have tested that in pool testing and was quite surprised with the results myself.

Now back to the Abellan Denton gun ... it really is the best designed speargun I have put my hands on, and I own more than 80 spearguns. Not to make it sound like there are other guns that are not awesome, but shooting the gun you really get to appreciate that a lot of thought was put into every single aspect of the gun and everything works together in perfect harmony (including its custom shaft). The lines of the gun are very pretty and the color camo is red and black (perfect for underwater camo). The handle is way up high in the CG of the gun to allow maximum absorption of recoil, and the handle fits your hand like perfectly snug and you really feel you can't miss. The gun maximizes its band stretch by using no band slots and having a simple SS cover to hold the bands (why don't all guns do this?) and it uses a reverse trigger to give maximum band stretch for minimum size. To give you an example ... the Riffe Euro X 120 wood stock is 158cm long and the Abellan Denton 120 is 134cm long ... yet the effective band stretch of the Riffe Euro 120X is 123cm while the Denton 120 is 122cm! So the Denton has 1cm less band stretch yet it is 24cm shorter over all !!! Of course some of that has to do with the Riffe Euro X big extension, but still there is a net gain and allows the gun to be much more compact. Another thing is the shaft that the Denton uses, it is a custom 7.5mm SS shaft with very nicely tucked in mini fins and the fins are all the way back ... AND ... it has a rest tab that makes easy loading and a long butt extension unnecessary. It also has only about 14cm of overhang which keeps the shaft from shooting low, and the SS band holder (mentioned earlier) doubles as a shaft flopper holder and keeps the flopper from dangling annoyingly. The Abellan also uses a custom reverse trigger that avoids the complications of having to hone the sear to get that smooth perfect crisp trigger pull ... it uses a special plastic material on the trigger that allows the trigger to slide in a predictable smooth manner for a super crisp let off. The gun also uses lead shot pellets for perfect balancing and can be tuned depending on what you like or what salinity you are hunting. Some might not like the feel of the pellets swishing but they can be easily held and kept silent. One thing I would have liked is a magnet to hold the shaft, but apparently this was not used due to worry about corrosion of Neodium magnets (never had a problem personally). Don't know what else to say, but really this is just a well designed gun by someone who has pretty much intensively tested and improved every tiny little thing that could improve performance.
Well put! I'll add a few things too.

The wider trigger also makes it feel like a smoother trigger pull too.

I really like the maintenance free reel too. The way it goes into complete freespool for no drag on deep drops is really nice. It also holds a lot of line and has 2 guides to help prevent line jumping over spool.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #6
Nanna Arms

spearq8, thanks for the detailed reply. I can appreciate the design that has gone into the gun and love it the more I look at it.

Can you tell me what you got with your handles? Did it have the cover plate on the bottom to hold the lead shot? Is it strong enough to use a screw down through a stainless plate to hold the handle in place?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
cancunspearo

heey just wondering hoe do you install the abellan handles? just screw them like neptonics handles or you hace to make a square in the wood to fit the handle?

thanks!
cancunspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
JonoH

You could always weld up a frame using 1/4" stainless which pins into the stock. Pretty sure reef geek did something similar on a gun.
You would still have to carbon wrap the handle though but at least it would be removable.
JonoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
Nanna Arms

I don't think you would just screw it on as such, a stainless plate with the screw down through the top would be ideal, just like it is on the actual gun. I really love the trigger guard incorporation with the handle attachment. Getting a shipping quote on Monday for the handles. Hopefully not too much, I'd pay $50AU so hoping I can get them for that, then with some new wide throat Neptonics reverse mechs with intergrated line release I should be able to pop out some nice carbons. Planning an inverted roller too.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
spearq8

A picture is worth a thousand words, so I will post pictures. Should be all the information you need. You should also look at the Abellan website as they have some better high resolution pictures than mine. Last 2 pictures are of the Abellan 7.5mm mini shark fins, and the Abellan Denton side by side with a Riffe Euro 120X. There are a few ways you could go about installing the grip depending on the trigger you use. Just make sure you think through the safety issues with regards to strength to handle recoil. SS plate is a great idea and the way the Denton gun implements the grip is nice. I would probably want even more safety and thus am thinking of using a threaded sleeve that would screw and glue into the grip and then use a threaded SS bolt that goes through the trigger or through a SS plate and sits flush on the trigger. I guess the design would depend on what trigger you want to use or whether it is a rear or mid handle or reverse trigger.

Last edited by spearq8; 01-27-2013 at 11:39 AM.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
cancunspearo

spearq thanks thanks for the pictures they are gold for me i had always wondered how you installed the abellan handles .
i hace family in spain and they are coming to cancun for vacations i will order 2 of them i have some projects in mind involving cf and thise handles..

do you think one screw like the picture shows will hold recoil from 3 bands?
looks little unsafe the way the abellan habdle comes with the gun dont you?

you can always use epoxy but you wil not be able to take apart the handle for trips etc
Old 01-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
Prowler@c
Carlos

You will have no issues with handle as installed on the Abellan. I purchased a Denton 120 and replaced the bands with 2 x 3/4" short bands. In short, I grossly overpowered the gun and had a ton of recoil and made the gun completely unmanageable. I think the handle and trigger would manage the 3 bands easily.
I went back to dual 5/8 bands and got more range and sick accuracy.
Good luck.
Prowler@c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
cancunspearo

sounds good
good to know it can handle recoil good
thanks!
alex
Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
Nanna Arms

Wow compared to the riffe euro! They are such a nice speargun, I wish I didn't build guns, I'd by a 120 denton and the 95 rabalo 95 and speargun life would be complete.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #15
greekdiver

My buddy shot my Denton 120 and then he shot his Riffe 120. He said, "I am ordering tomorrow".