Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
Dr.P

The Lost Boys... another Monobloc production

For those of you who followed The Monobloc Twins (full story here: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...monobloc+twins ), this is the follow up. I decided to build a couple of dirty water guns in the same Padauk, monobloc style. Unfortunately, about the time I was preparing to get started, I went through one of the most challenging episodes of my life and happened to purchase this board the day after. It was my own therapy, in a way. If you recall, the Monobloc Twins were very calculated. We built sleds and jigs and drew precise lines. I threw all that out of the window on these two and just let my right brain loose. I did not touch the guns with a table saw. I routed everything that needed to be routed with a shaper this time, and then just went to work with a hand plane and rotary tool. I did not even draw lines on the blank, I sort of just let the wood tell me what it wanted to be and kept shaping until it was finished. I was much bolder with my lines and curves than I was on the twins, and side by side these new guns look sleeker. I did my best to document some of the build with pics, and I'm happy to answer any questions or post more pics as a go along with the build on the second gun (currently in process).

Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
Dr.P

Re: The Lost Boys... another Monobloc production

Here are a few final pics of the first gun. It has 94cm of band stretch with a total length of only 104cm. I made it with a single 14.5mm small ID band, and believe it or not this thing rips to the end of the shooting line. It has been putting a lot of food on the table and has quickly become my all-time favorite daily hunting gun (I spear almost daily, but most of my hunting is for snapper, grouper, and sherpa in 5-20ft of vis). Much like the Twins, this gun has the mechanism deep in the handle and perfect alignment of the grip, shaft, and band. This one really shoots the lights out, and I'm excited to see what the second of 'The Lost Boys...' brings.
Enjoy:

Obviously, this will be an ongoing thread, as the second gun is still getting carved up. If you'd like to see any particular part of the build, feel free to request it. Otherwise, hope you're enjoying the builds as much as I am. I still have several blanks set up, so there is plenty more Monobloc sculpting ahead.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Behslayer

So darned nice. Love the way that Mech gets brought into the palm.
Behslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
Trace

Art Work!
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

helluva sexy tool for putting dinner on the table nice work Dr P, love the use of that limited real estate. thanks for sharing!

is that 5/16" Mori shaft? loading tab not needed?
kavachi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
So darned nice. Love the way that Mech gets brought into the palm.
Thanks Jon! I like to think of it like a revolver vs automatic handgun. ...instead of wasted handle space, use the handle real estate to house the bullets. ...or in this case, the mechanism.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:40 AM   #7
spearq8

Great job and looks like another winner. I really liked how your first two guns came out! You have to put the trigger way back into the handle if you want to keep a nice trigger to palm distance once you rotate the handle. That is the only way I can comfortably reach the trigger. I think the ideal distance is around 55 to 60mm or slightly less for the people who like to have more of their index finger around the trigger. Of course if you have a long index finger you go further back.

You do have to pay attention to how much wood you have around the trigger and how much support you have for the handle. Those areas are under high stress when loading the bands and of course when firing and they need to be structurally strong. In your case it does seem you have plenty of good wood there, and Padauk is crazy strong.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #8
kodama

Very beautiful work! I am myself a professional carpenter doing traditional work using a lot of hand tools and it is great to see you make these fine spearguns. Inspiring. Where did you get the hardware? Pins, trigger (which model), trigger guard?
Will you keep them as they are without reel?

Sent from the abyss
kodama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #9
deanmc
FII Professional

Wow, that is a gorgeous gun! Nice job.
deanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #10
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Great job and looks like another winner. I really liked how your first two guns came out! You have to put the trigger way back into the handle if you want to keep a nice trigger to palm distance once you rotate the handle. That is the only way I can comfortably reach the trigger. I think the ideal distance is around 55 to 60mm or slightly less for the people who like to have more of their index finger around the trigger. Of course if you have a long index finger you go further back.

You do have to pay attention to how much wood you have around the trigger and how much support you have for the handle. Those areas are under high stress when loading the bands and of course when firing and they need to be structurally strong. In your case it does seem you have plenty of good wood there, and Padauk is crazy strong.
The distance from the palm to the trigger is approx 60mm on this one. I could safely take another 5mm or so, but I like to keep things extra safe and have big long fingers anyways. I find the pull the be the most comfortable of any of my guns, but then again, I do shape these handles for my hand, so that only makes sense. This is also ONE of the reasons I continue to stick with the Neptonics reverse mech. In addition to the reasons I already onlined in my Monobloc Twins write up, the Neptonics mech is a pretty short reverse mech and gives me all the advantages of a reverse mech while allowing me to keep that distance to the trigger short. It's one of the only reverse triggers I cased out that would work.

I have a blank glued up to build 2x 3-4 band guns with either 11/32 or 3/8 shafts and I'd like to get a look at one of the roller triggers for that, but unsure how to buy one right now...

I also focused on really making my mechs perfect on these. The pin holes are stupid tight and using the shaper I was able to cut my tracks down a fraction of an inch at a time with perfect precision. My Mori shafts scrape in under the roof of the mech. The fit is so perfect you can easily tell the different tolerances between shafts.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #11
rhyne

ohhhhhh dayumn, that's one purtty piece of machinery.

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 4-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Adventure Charters

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:11 AM   #12
SEA_ARCHER

Gorgeous gun just like your previous ones.
SEA_ARCHER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:22 AM   #13
spearq8

The double roller trigger is quite wide ... it is 14.5mm wide ... this needs to be taken into consideration when building your gun. A wide trigger hole is done at the expense of less wood where you need it most. The Neptonics is only 12.8mm wide .... so there is an advantage there. Of course the Abellan trigger is very wide and is around 15.8mm, but it has a thick SS plate underneath that makes using such a wide trigger possible. I am a civil engineer so I always worry about structural integrity more than others, but there is no question that once you start pushing the handle up and cut out the trigger pocket, you have dramatically weakened the stock in an area where it will be heavily stressed. Adding carbon fiber to the back end just makes me sleep better at night.

One advantage I find with leaf triggers is that you can make fine tuning of your trigger depth by simply adding or removing a thin washer or two. This allows you to get the trigger seating with the track absolutely perfect even if you use a different shaft with a different back notch tolerance. With a through pin holding the trigger ... it is pretty much a permanent thing and once you set it you can't really change it without doing major surgery.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:31 PM   #14
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

did you use a burr or just the sanding drum to shape that handle with the rotary Dr P?
Old 06-30-2017, 02:32 AM   #15
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

.....and what diam shaft is that on the single band gun?