Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #16
spearq8

Re: Pre Preg Carbon Wrap

https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co....um-bag-152mm-6
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:43 PM   #17
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Time is totally dependent on the ambient temperature.........
wow, thanks for the advice Majd! shorten that learning curve right up!
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:46 PM   #18
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
- For turning pressure into vacuum, look into venturi pumps or just build a cheap vacuum pump yourself. Look up Joe Woodworker vacuum pump for inspiration. Not difficult, and with a good, cheapo pump from Ebay, it won't be very expensive either. I built a small one myself with pressure switch and reservoir.
thanks mate
Old 08-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #19
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
thanks mate
Actually, given your location the easiest/cheapest could be to get your hands on an old, discarded fridge compressor. Those work just fine as vac pumps and actually seem to pull a very decent vacuum. Tons of videos on youtube on how convert these but it's very straight forward.

Alternatively, you might be able to get an affordable vacuum pump used by Air-Con system service guys. A lot of this stuff comes from China these days and I got the smallest pump I could get my hands on to serve as the heart of my system. I actually have it all automated so that I can set a certain vacuum and it will hold that. And if there's a slow leak, it will start up and again from time to time to stay around the set pressure. But it doesn't have to be that fancy at all.

Here are a few pics of my setup, small but does the job perfectly. It is loosely based on the Joe Woodworker pump but I use a more advanced pressure switch. On the other hand, I left out the sub-reservoir and Mac solenoid valve:

When you can make room temp water boil, you know you have a very good vacuum, but even half of that should do nicely for vac bagging gun stocks:

Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:32 PM   #20
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I just wanted to drop a note here in regards to sourcing a cheap vacuum pump. I mentioned above that a fridge compressor ought to do the job well and here's an update.
I just bought one to take my airguns up to pressure after servicing them (read; 'messing around and modifying them...') and I thought I might as well hook up the compressor to my vacuum pressure gauge for a quick test as these compressors are supposed to pull a nice vacuum, too:

So, it pulled -99.6kPa according to the gauge. -100kPa would make it -1bar and a perfect vacuum, so this fridge compressor gets extremely close and actually pulls more vacuum than my regular setup pictured in the post above. A fridge compressor doesn't move much air and probably wont like to run for hours but if you make a small reservoir out of PVC piping and get the leaks out of your bag the pump wont have to cycle much and it should a very viable, low cost solution. For hooking up the vacuum tube, I suspect you can just slide some PVC/PU tube right onto the copper stub on the pump, though of course you can braze some fittings on, too (which is what I am practicing now;-).

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 09-14-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:39 AM   #21
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

nice one DG!!! you've motivated me to dig out that old Danfoss and glue up some scrap PVC
Old 09-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #22
Kevin Sheets

Spearq8
I went to the link and they don't have the US as a shipping destination. How did you get around that.
Thanks
Kevin
Kevin Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #23
spearq8

I got the stuff when I was in the UK. PM me I might be able to send you enough for a build. Also check solar composites ... they might actually have those sleeves now. Another website you can try is http://www.fibreglast.com
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:48 AM   #24
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
nice one DG!!! you've motivated me to dig out that old Danfoss and glue up some scrap PVC
Thanks man!
I just finished modifying mine - though it will be used as a pump for my airguns, rather than a vac pump. Anyways, I shared it over on the uber civilized deeperblue forum;-). That's where the airgun guys congregate way more than here, anyways.

As said, making it into a vacuum pump should be even easier, no need to really solder on fittings

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 09-19-2017 at 02:00 AM.