Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #31
Apneaddict

Re: Pathos trigger Booster kit is here

I think I just made sure that the line release pin was down before reloading the spear...

A unique take on Freediving and Apnea:
http://apneaddict.blogspot.com/
Apneaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:06 AM   #32
daintreediver

I spent an hour today playing with it trying everything it just doesn't lock in. It clicks and feels like it locks in but as soon as you load a rubber it pulls the spear out
daintreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:20 AM   #33
spearq8

You should never have to force a shaft in ... if you do then there is something wrong and if you force things might damage the sears. It sounds like your sear was wedging in the frame and thus not allowing the sear to engage. Could be due to the frame being slightly tight and the sear getting squeezed by the frame. If the sears were engaging properly before and this happened later it could be that some debris got stuck in there somewhere ... check for sand debris. Take the sears apart and look at how tight the fit is between the shaft sear and the frame. The shaft sear should move freely ... if it doesn't then maybe the frame needs widening a little (use the dowel like in the video). The Pathos trigger has an open ended trigger frame which you need to expand to get the trigger sear out ... sometimes you can over expand it and then when you put the trigger sear you can over squeeze ... which wedges the shaft sear. Both sears should be absolutely free moving and not touching the sides of the frame. If the sears are not touching outside of the handle and start touching in the handle. Look for something that might be sticking out inside the handle that is making the trigger box get squeezed in. If none of that is a problem ... just remove the shaft sear and do a few passes of figure "8" on a flat surface with 400 grit sand paper on both sides. That will reduce the shaft sear size by a fraction and it should be become free moving. If you have pix or a video of the sears outside the frame it would help figure out what happened. Of course there is a possibility that the shaft sear is already damaged from trying to force the shaft in ... but I doubt it.
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:25 AM   #34
daintreediver

Hey thanks for that I don't think the sear is wedged or anything I might pull it apart and hit it with some sandpaper and see what happens. So this trigger should engage easily without much force then something is definently wrong.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:37 AM   #35
daintreediver

Just wanna say thanks to majd (spearq8) the guy is a speargun genius and solved my probs for via a few pms. Gun is now working
Old 02-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #36
daintreediver

So in case anyone else has the probs i had which is basically the spear being almost impossible to engage and "lock" in i did the following. I pulled the shaft sear out and gave it a light sand on both sides and made sure that it is freely moving in the trigger with no friction at all. The problem though was coming from the trigger sear which was not moving so freely and was a "tighter" fit. I pulled it out and removed the 2 plastic washers and gave the sear a light sand all over. I reinstalled the trigger sear without the 2 plastic washers and bingo the trigger sear now moves effortlessly and it should spin several times freely when you flick it. Before with the washers it would flick at all. So if you are having this prob give this a try.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:12 AM   #37
spearq8

I decided to put a new Pathos Ermes sear kit installation guide with trouble shooting of problems that a few people have had. Hopefully this will help anyone that is having problems getting the kit to work properly.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #38
fr0sty

I'm having a lot of difficulty with this installation... When I put the trigger cassette back into the handle, it seems to pinch it and the sears can't move freely. It's really tight and I tried to sand the sides of the sears down a bit (like in the second video), with no success.

Anyone else with this issue? it looks like the cassette part holding everything isn't exactly symmetrical. I might just have to go back to the original sears...
fr0sty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:46 PM   #39
brandon cadalzo

You have to remove the plastic washers. It should be enough to give you the clearance. Happened to me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #40
fr0sty

I kept the washers on the trigger, but took it off the bigger piece. The part that's getting stuck is more towards the middle of the bigger piece, like where the line release is.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #41
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0sty View Post
I kept the washers on the trigger, but took it off the bigger piece. The part that's getting stuck is more towards the middle of the bigger piece, like where the line release is.
Check to see that the frame inside is not scratched or doesn't have any burrs sticking out. I found on one trigger that I fixed for a friend last week that the inside of the frame was scratched and had metal sticking out from trying to force a shaft in. I sanded it with a dremel. If it is still too tight just sand the two sides of shaft sear until it can move freely. Use 120 grit initially to remove metal then give it a few passes of 400 or 600 grit. Some triggers need more work than others, but good news is that I have yet to find one trigger that can't be fixed. You should be able to engage the sear by simply flicking your wrist like in the video ... if you can't do that then needs some more work.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #42
fr0sty

the thing is, everything moves freely when the cassette isn't in the handle. I have washers on the trigger and none on the sear. Both easily move with a flick of the wrist. It's when it's placed into the handle, it somehow pinches the sides. Should I bend the cassette out a bit with a wedge?
Old 06-11-2016, 03:22 AM   #43
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0sty View Post
the thing is, everything moves freely when the cassette isn't in the handle. I have washers on the trigger and none on the sear. Both easily move with a flick of the wrist. It's when it's placed into the handle, it somehow pinches the sides. Should I bend the cassette out a bit with a wedge?

Check the inside of the plastic frame where the trigger goes in. Look for any plastic bits that are sticking out and maybe pushing the SS frame inwards and cut them out with an xacto knife or just file them off. If the shaft sear is moving absolutely free before you insert it in the plastic handle and it still is binding when you put things together ... you have to file down the shaft sear some more. The tolerance on the old sear is about 1.2mm ... with the new sear is about .1mm ... so very tight. The advantage of a tight tolerance is that the sear is much thicker ... and also there is much less "play" in centering the shaft sear to match the trigger sear ... so much better centering of the parts as they slide over each other and more contact surface area and much less chance of galling or "scratching". Don't give up ... just do the sanding of the sear with more effort. The sear should engage easily with a slight flick of the wrist ... if it doesn't do that then you will have problems engaging a shaft in there. Of course I am assuming you followed the second video and tried all the things there.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #44
fr0sty

Yeah, I'll try to see if there's anything plastic sticking out and sand/cut it off. I tried everything in the second video already so I was quite confused when it still didn't work smoothly :/
Old 06-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #45
pezloco

Had the same problem. Used an angle grinder and took a little material off of each side of the sear arm. Now the sear moves freely, problem solved.