Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #151
Divedog

Re: Financial/Investments

Holly Smokes batman! (Marcus) Gold is almost to 1800 today and the JNUG shares I have that I thought I was going to sell at a loss I'm now thinking of holding until the end of the week. Next week a 1/10 reverse split is going to happen and I think its going back to 3x leverage as well. Don't think im going to hold into the RS because this type of trading is way above my pay grade. I had never traded ETF's before until you mentioned JNUG and I have to say this has been very exciting to trade. I hope you dollar cost averaged as it went down last week as I did. Im hearing mixed theories about this ETF after a R/S though. I know the basic of how this ETF is structured and it is designed to keep doing this RS thing until it eventually goes to zero but still im not comfortable with getting in and out, sometimes on a daily basis with large amounts of money and holding over night, or worse, holding over the weekend like I have been doing. Some are saying after the RS it will go up for awhile but it seems to me that this fund would be perfect for the shorting to take over, at least for awhile, after the RS.
Divedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #152
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divedog View Post
Holly Smokes batman! (Marcus) Gold is almost to 1800 today and the JNUG shares I have that I thought I was going to sell at a loss I'm now thinking of holding until the end of the week. Next week a 1/10 reverse split is going to happen and I think its going back to 3x leverage as well. Don't think im going to hold into the RS because this type of trading is way above my pay grade. I had never traded ETF's before until you mentioned JNUG and I have to say this has been very exciting to trade. I hope you dollar cost averaged as it went down last week as I did. Im hearing mixed theories about this ETF after a R/S though. I know the basic of how this ETF is structured and it is designed to keep doing this RS thing until it eventually goes to zero but still im not comfortable with getting in and out, sometimes on a daily basis with large amounts of money and holding over night, or worse, holding over the weekend like I have been doing. Some are saying after the RS it will go up for awhile but it seems to me that this fund would be perfect for the shorting to take over, at least for awhile, after the RS.
Reasonable concerns. It's apparent you're a critical thinker. I'm still researching what this RS means to me.
It hit 8.15 today. I just bought several hundred more in the low 7's. I'm already in the money, looking to go higher, which it has so far. *Whif...blowin' in the dice* Vegas baby!!
Seriously, Vegas money on this one...fair warning. Don't gamble what you'll regret losing.
JDUST is the opposite of this.
Again...NOT for the weak of heart.

Given the spike in gold/silver ratio. Silver is on the table. PAAS, AG, EXK, HL, and WPM has been a solid to me. WPM has been the only one I've kept thru this BS crisis. It has served me well. You have to understand their business model in order to understand why I kept them. I wish I'd had the conviction to buy more after the unreasonable sell off.
Gold/Silver ratio is still STUPID. I'm currently looking for entry points back into my favorite silver miners.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 04-15-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #153
Divedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Reasonable concerns. It's apparent you're a critical thinker. I'm still researching what this RS means to me.
It hit 8.15 today. I just bought several thousand more in the low 7's. I'm already in the money, looking to go higher, which it has so far. *Whif...blowin' in the dice* Vegas baby!!
Seriously, Vegas money on this one...fair warning. Don't gamble what you'll regret losing.
JDUST is the opposite of this.
Again...NOT for the weak of heart.

Given the spike in gold/silver ratio. Silver is on the table. PAAS, AG, EXK, HL, and WPM has been a solid to me. WPM has been the only one I've kept thru this BS crisis. It has served me well. You have to understand their business model in order to understand why I kept them. I wish I'd had the conviction to buy more after the unreasonable sell off.
Gold/Silver ratio is still STUPID. I'm currently looking for entry points back into my favorite silver miners.
You aint kidding when you say "blowin the dice." This ETF takes ball of steel, and to make matters worse I did not set a stop loss because I think it moves so damm fast, both directions, ill get stopped out. I can't look this last 15 minutes of trading. Ive been through many RS in 08' and 09' and none of them ended well however I think there is a point to be made that it could be good this time. The pros,
#1, above 5 dollars institutional trading can occur and bring in big money
#2, I believe gold is absolutely going up. so shorting with big institutional money is very risky.
#3 the miners will mine again and gas prices and operational costs are benefiting them for awhile.

Cons, after RS, at least for me.
#1 There will be more room for the shorts to bring it down and with the 1 for 10 RS the big institutional traders will no doubt be trying.
#2 Mining companies could be shut down due to fears of Corona virus infecting workers and with a few states I have heard of, like Hawii, (I think it was Maui) effectively experimenting with martial law and I believe there might be a real risk of more states going in that direction.

I am having my old urges of using my remaining powder I have now to go all in but that was one of the lessons I thought I learned in 08'. Always have dry powder ready. If I shoot my entire load at the wrong time its lights out, at least for awhile. I still am holding about 20,000 shares of FMCC and FNMA and waiting. I bought about 50,000 shares of FMCC at .31 cents way back when and like a fool sold all of them for about 5x that and since then got back in at a much higher price than it is at currently and im stuck with them for now. I was able to by my Radon with the profits back then but also ran out of powder for opportunities. Lessons I thought I learned. Human nature is a bitch. I have also been ever so slowly buying for the long term to hold like some of the real estate investment stocks like AGNC, and some regional banks like FITB and HBAN. They pay pretty good dividends and are undervalued right now. I think your right about silver as well but I need to do my DD first.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:33 PM   #154
Marcus

"Fed Can't Print Gold": BofA Calls Gold "Ultimate Store Of Value", Raises Price Target To $3,000
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 04-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #155
Marcus

JNUG reverse split 10:1, so it's up to $8.7 from lows. Still in the money. I think my average is about $5.5. Watch it dive just after I post this. lol. I try not to believe in such superstitions but damn...the facts are not currently in my favor.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #156
OBLIGATED

Im real close to being in the black again.May put a little more in next month.
My fishing boat needs a new Riptide trolling motor and spring is here.
Cant find Silver or Gold without crazy premiums.They can stick them bars up their greedy asses.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #157
Rinaldo
Extreme Freediver

Send a message via AIM to Rinaldo

I'd lost 42% of my investment value. I've recovered 38%. Re-balanced and sold Disney and invested in some Oil stocks knowing they'll eventually recover. I'll redip into Disney when new they'll be reopening leaks.
Rinaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #158
OBLIGATED

Im tired of watching it go up and down.Going SLOWLY up but still don't help the nerves.
Im about 100 bucks from being even on stocks,bonds and the mutual fund.

The Crypto is still in the crapper.

My PMs are up but I really don't want to sell them.I bought them at or below spot and cant get replace them now.Should have bought more but that's life I guess.If I find a nice 310/320 Hunter or pocket trawler they will be history!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1200px-Hunter_310_sailboat_3384.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	245402   Click image for larger version

Name:	prairie 29.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	245403  
Old 05-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #159
Marcus

Here's 5 Reasons Why Gold Miners Have Massive Outperformance In The Tank
Old 05-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #160
Marcus

Uhg...some serious stress in my trading lately. Shit's wild, yo. Here's some of my gambling trades; NAK huge volume looking to be bought out. SILJ bought in the low channel, SILEF Jr. that is going nuts, AG solid JR. that is performing, PAAS...still looking for an entry point.
None for the faint of heart.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:33 PM   #161
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Uhg...some serious stress in my trading lately. Shit's wild, yo. Here's some of my gambling trades; NAK huge volume looking to be bought out. SILJ bought in the low channel, SILEF Jr. that is going nuts, AG solid JR. that is performing, PAAS...still looking for an entry point.
None for the faint of heart.
Im in the black again by a decent margin.Everytime it goes up I kick myself for not buying more of Ford and the SWPPX.When it goes down everybody is a financial genius with smartass remarks.When its up not a peep.Sometimes I just shut off the computer and go for a ride on the bike to clear my head and let go and just think FTW
Old 06-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #162
Marcus

"We Effectively Have A Zimbabwe Fed" - John Williams Warns "The System Is Bankrupt"
Old 06-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #163
Divedog

I read that article and I like the way Williams doesn't like to use all the accounting gimmicks to make things appear better than they actually are. reality is a bitch! It's a little above my head but I try and read as much as I can and then what I don't understand I'll dissect and do some research on it until I think I have a basic understanding of it. Then, I attempt to put my new understanding of that small part back into the big picture. Most of the time I get a better understanding of what they are talking about however sometimes I just don't get it. With my limited understanding I find myself falling back to history as my guide with gold.

My mom used to be good friends with the owner of Wilshire Coin decades ago way before I was interested in any of these things. I never forgot what I saw the first time I went in there. What an education he gave me. My Uncle was in dire straights at the time and needed some cash and had about 30 gold eagles and some maple leafs mixed in. So my mom gives me my Uncles coins and tells me to go to Wilshire Coin and ask for the owner because she had already negotiated the price with him. This was years ago before they moved to the new location with a huge vault and modern security. The owner realized I had no idea about gold and took me in the back and showed me at least 20 million dollars worth of gold bars and coins stacked up everywhere. It almost looked like something from Pirates of the Caribbean, or at least that's how I remembered it. He proceeded to tell educate me on gold the best he could. He told me he never has never sold any of his own personal gold ever. since he was friends with my mom he was furious that she wanted to sell the coins but understood that it was my Uncles coins and he needed the case. the Education left an impression on me and I after being gifted 12 of my moms gold coins years ago they will never be sold and will sit in my safe to remind me of that day in Wilshire Coin.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #164
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divedog View Post
I read that article and I like the way Williams doesn't like to use all the accounting gimmicks to make things appear better than they actually are. reality is a bitch! It's a little above my head but I try and read as much as I can and then what I don't understand I'll dissect and do some research on it until I think I have a basic understanding of it. Then, I attempt to put my new understanding of that small part back into the big picture. Most of the time I get a better understanding of what they are talking about however sometimes I just don't get it. With my limited understanding I find myself falling back to history as my guide with gold.

My mom used to be good friends with the owner of Wilshire Coin decades ago way before I was interested in any of these things. I never forgot what I saw the first time I went in there. What an education he gave me. My Uncle was in dire straights at the time and needed some cash and had about 30 gold eagles and some maple leafs mixed in. So my mom gives me my Uncles coins and tells me to go to Wilshire Coin and ask for the owner because she had already negotiated the price with him. This was years ago before they moved to the new location with a huge vault and modern security. The owner realized I had no idea about gold and took me in the back and showed me at least 20 million dollars worth of gold bars and coins stacked up everywhere. It almost looked like something from Pirates of the Caribbean, or at least that's how I remembered it. He proceeded to tell educate me on gold the best he could. He told me he never has never sold any of his own personal gold ever. since he was friends with my mom he was furious that she wanted to sell the coins but understood that it was my Uncles coins and he needed the case. the Education left an impression on me and I after being gifted 12 of my moms gold coins years ago they will never be sold and will sit in my safe to remind me of that day in Wilshire Coin.
Good on you, DD. Consider yourself lucky to have received that education at such a young age.
If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer or point you towards a resource that can answer. I've spent years trying to understand what's going on. What I have learned is that it's totally F'd but gold and such have been held underwater like a beach ball for quite some time. They're going to lose control at some point and it's going to violently bust thru the surface. I'm trying to maintain my capital and sanity until then.
NAK has a hell of a story and is one of my most interesting/watched ones at the moment. It's true value is around ~10/share by what they've proven they have in the ground. A buyout is expected by the likes of Barrick. Definitely employ stop losses on it.
Check out Smith n Wesson (SWBI)...geezsh I thought that was a no brainer and would've popped earlier.

Last edited by Marcus; 06-09-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #165
Marcus

Pending Northern Dynasty Minerals LTD's (NAK) News Could Make Price Jump To $21 With Over $10 Billion Valuation