Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
Colo Hammerhead

Stagecoach Reservoir Review

Hey guys,

I thought Id check out Stagecoach before the September 24 Shoot, as Ive never been there before.

Camping:

There are a bunch of sites on the water at the Reservoir. However, when we arrived Friday night they were all booked except a single electric hookup site that cost $24. The primitive Sites are $10. Coin operated showers are available at the Marina office. It has basic supplies, and the nearest gas station / grocery is 15 miles away in Yampa, South of the lake. You must pay a park entrance fee for each day you are there which covers launching your boat too. It is $7.
You can reserve sites ahead of time by going online at: cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/Stagecoach/Pages/Camping.aspx

I didn't want to pay $63 for camping in a full campground with 6 dogs so we went up towards Lynx pass and found national forest camping at Morrison creek about 12 miles from the lake on a paved road that switches to a gravel road after about 3 miles. the drive took 25 mins, but it was worth it for us.

Fishing:

Ive only been skunked 1 other time this year on the water, so take that into consideration as I give my report.

there were a ton of shore fishermen, all around the lake that was accessible by road, and probably 15 other boats. I saw 3 people catch trout from there boats while we were throwing everything we could at them to no avail.

Being an avid Pike fisherman, I thought I knew where to go and what to do. This lake stumped me. Firstly we trolled for pike and read the depth finder looking for weeds. WE FOUND NONE. the several places we dove showed that what we thought were weeds were actually remnants of bushes from long ago. probably sage. the cover was sparse to say the least. everywhere we dove except by the dam, the bottom was muck, sage bush remnants, and crayfish.

the dam area had rocks that petered out around 12' of water. after that, more muck and crayfish. the crayfish covered the bottom everywhere! loads and loads of them.

after a combined 50 dives and 45 minutes of bottom time without seeing a SINGLE FISH!, we called it a day and tried trolling for trout, then dangled power bait, then we packed it up for camp frustrated.

kevin didn't have his watch but true to form, went deep looking for fish, he found a significant thermocline around 25' he guessed. I never went below 21' and never found it.

the other reviews we found online said most pike were caught in 8-12' and to find a weed line. good luck with that.

finally there was an algae bloom that went away around 6' down, but a muck line developed around 15' which reduced viz to 5' from the 9-10' that was present from 6'-15' deep.

im sure I forgot some other stuff, but if you ask it, ill tell you what I know.

Best,

Brett
Colo Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote