Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #1
Andersp90

buoyancy of Sigalsub Reel Edy 60 mm Carbon?

I am looking for a small reel for my bleutec simple carbon 75.
I already own a small reel from MVD, but I feel that it adds way too much negative buoyancy to the setup.
Now I have set my eyes on sigalsubs 60mm carbon reel. I wonder if the carbon helps with the buoyancy, or if its just way too little to make a difference.

Does anyone here own the reel?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Andersp90; 05-22-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Andersp90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
kodama

buoyancy of Sigalsub Reel Edy 60 mm Carbon?

I have the Sigalsub Carbon reel mounted on one my Sigalsub Team Carbon 110. I dont think it has a great influence on buoyancy but it’s hard to tell without checking it. I can’t take it off that easily too since I have to unwind the damn thing before I can reach the screws. The Carbon itself is positive but it has a stainless steel base and axle which you have to account for. It certainly is light and works well.
And mine is not the 60 version but the largest one they have.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
Andersp90

Re: buoyancy of Sigalsub Reel Edy 60 mm Carbon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
I have the Sigalsub Carbon reel mounted on one my Sigalsub Team Carbon 110. I dont think it has a great influence on buoyancy but it’s hard to tell without checking it. I can’t take it off that easily too since I have to unwind the damn thing before I can reach the screws. The Carbon itself is positive but it has a stainless steel base and axle which you have to account for. It certainly is light and works well.
And mine is not the 60 version but the largest one they have.
Do you know if the spool itself is made of carbon? Or is it milled out of POM?
Old 05-31-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
kodama

Its indeed milled from delrin or pom or similar.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #5
Andersp90

Quote:
Its indeed milled from delrin or pom or similar.
Im gonna write sigalsub to be sure. But it sounds rather discouraging..

Their homepage says "carbon spool" though (with google translate): https://www.sigalsub.it/prodotti-sig.../edy-carbonio/

EDIT: it seems that "Bobina" can be translated to both coil, reel and spool..

Last edited by Andersp90; 06-04-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
kodama

I don’t think there is a reason to get too worried about this reel. The circular plates are carbon and the whole reel is well made and functions flawlessly. It seems pretty bombproof to me and if the spools tube is made from delrin vs carbon fibre it is not going to affect buoyancy or strength noticeably. But it never hurts to contact them. I had good experience with them before.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #7
Andersp90

Quote:
I don’t think there is a reason to get too worried about this reel. The circular plates are carbon and the whole reel is well made and functions flawlessly. It seems pretty bombproof to me and if the spools tube is made from delrin vs carbon fibre it is not going to affect buoyancy or strength noticeably. But it never hurts to contact them. I had good experience with them before.
I just seems that delrin sinks, while carbon floats. On a small 75 gun, every bit counts.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:03 AM   #8
Mikel_24

Some additional weight in the handle/reel area of the gun shouldn't be a big deal.

The problem is having the muzzle area of the gun too heavy or too buoyant. Too heavy and it fatigues your wrist. Too buoyant and the muzzle will flip up during the shot, lifting the tail of the shaft and you will shoot low.

I recently modified one of my homemade guns with a homemade PU casted handle (silicone mold and all that) and I used Feather Lite PU resin from Smooth On... which is specifically made to be buoyant. This gun loaded floats muzzle down... and it doesn't worry me a bit. If you hold the handle with two fingers so as to allow it to rotate however it wants, the muzzle stays put or sinks very slowly. Perfect.

I would say go ahead with the reel that appeals to you the most regarding drag, orientation (horizontal VS vertical) and price wise... and forget about the weight. BTW, some lines are buoyant as well such as the dyneema... You have to consider the buoyancy of the reel+line as a whole.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote