Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-29-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
slpoh

Mount a reel on a wooden gun

I recently just bought a wooden gun and would like to mount a reel.May I know how did you all mount a reel?Just screw the two screws directly on the gun or there is a special screw or other way to do it?Thanks!
slpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Mana'squal

Re: Mount a reel on a wooden gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by slpoh View Post
I recently just bought a wooden gun and would like to mount a reel.May I know how did you all mount a reel?Just screw the two screws directly on the gun or there is a special screw or other way to do it?Thanks!

If you have a drill press Id use inserts epoxied in place and machine screws to install. Screws work fine but Id epoxy the screw holes and use marine silicone as well to reduce chances of water penetration and the issues that come with it.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
slpoh

I dont have epoxy here,how about epifill or epiglue?I drill holes bigger than the screw and screw in the epifill.How about that?
Old 10-30-2019, 01:00 AM   #4
popgun pete

Unless the reel is to be removed often I drill holes for self-tappers and put marine varnish down the holes and then immediately insert the self-tappers. Actually brass self-tappers work well as copper corrosion kills off bacterial nasties in the wood from water absorption. Bronze would be better as there ain't no zinc, but boat builders only have that access to stuff. Stainless steel works well but can suffer corrosion when as you reverse the screw out it cracks the timber thread (this observed on very old guns). Ditto for driving out stainless steel pins, they (i.e. surface blister rusted pins) can rip big sections out of the timber sidewalls. Some reels you can replace the axle bolt and run it right through the stock, but if you do then the reel will not rip off its mounts and you may lose gun and all. Need to think about what you shooting and how much emergency horsepower it can summon when its life is at stake.

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-31-2019 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added note
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
AK_FishTech

I line up the reel and mark the screw locations. Drill holes a size smaller then the screw. I use stainless screws and either epoxy or rubberized super glue in the holes and some on the screw as well. Put them in tight and haven’t had an issue. I’ve removed some after years of use and they looked good as new and extremely strong.
AK_FishTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
slpoh

Great!thanks for all the geeat information!
Old 10-30-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
Behslayer

It depends on the Wood. If it's Teak, no worries.

The best way to do this is to Use a Good Stainless Wood screw like a "Shark Thread"

Drill the hole slightly undersized. For example a #10 screw you might predrill with a 5/32". a #6 or #8 you might use a 1/8" ie the diameter of the Bit is slightly smaller than the Diameter of the Center of the Screw. To get the right depth, measure how deep you want to go and use a small piece of tape on the Drill Bit so you know how deep you are going. One good trick is to predrill the hole first with a much thinner diameter Drill bit. For example a 3/32" Then your 5/32" won't walk around, or you can centertap a tiny bit with a nail so there's a good footing for the 5/32".

Take your Screw. Don't just Jam it in there.. EASE it in and Out.. the idea is to Build a Thread inside the wood.. Ease it in a little, then back it out, then a little deeper, then back it out. In the end, get it tight. You can put a few drops of Tung Oil in the hole.

One thing to look out for is that your screw is not sticking up even the littlest bit through the gun and peeking out in the track.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
It depends on the Wood. If it's Teak, no worries.

The best way to do this is to Use a Good Stainless Wood screw like a "Shark Thread"

Drill the hole slightly undersized. For example a #10 screw you might predrill with a 5/32". a #6 or #8 you might use a 1/8" ie the diameter of the Bit is slightly smaller than the Diameter of the Center of the Screw. To get the right depth, measure how deep you want to go and use a small piece of tape on the Drill Bit so you know how deep you are going. One good trick is to predrill the hole first with a much thinner diameter Drill bit. For example a 3/32" Then your 5/32" won't walk around, or you can centertap a tiny bit with a nail so there's a good footing for the 5/32".

Take your Screw. Don't just Jam it in there.. EASE it in and Out.. the idea is to Build a Thread inside the wood.. Ease it in a little, then back it out, then a little deeper, then back it out. In the end, get it tight. You can put a few drops of Tung Oil in the hole.

One thing to look out for is that your screw is not sticking up even the littlest bit through the gun and peeking out in the track.
Jon has done this thousands of times.. and I do it the same way. I always liked leaving about 1/16-1/32 shy with the bit so the screw can dig in. I had a couple Wongs with stainless inserts and they were nice but overkill for me personally. Plus its harder to switch reels once this is done.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
Mikel_24

Inserts are cool... but the problem is that you are actually cutting through more wood fibers than using a simple screw.

For cheapo inserts, instead of trying to source the uber-expensive stainless ones, you can use brass expandable inserts for concrete. The trick is to install them and then with epoxy /glue (the knurled body grabs well the glue) and then run a tap through it, so you get rid of the self-expanding property of the insert (required for concrete use). That, or use a shorter screw that does not go into the narrowing part of the insert.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote