Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #16
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Re: New Pelaj Railgun Review

I think Roberto Reyes might be a dealer over in Puerto Rico. Kinda sorta still the USA.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #17
Wilddiver
Daryl Balfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
www.pelaj.com

Miles, does the gun have a full lenght rail?

Nice report
Yes, the guns have full length rails. There are in fact 6 models of guns, two with simple rail barrels between 0,9 - 1,1m, 6,6mm or 7mm spear, and a choice of 16mm or 18mm single power bands, two with reinforced rail barrels, 0,9 - 1,4m, 7mm spears, and a choice of single 20mm, or double 16 or 18mm bands, and two bluewater guns with reinforced rail barrels between 1,1 and 1,7m, 7,5mm or 8mm spears, and a choice of 2 or 3 bands of 14 or 16mm diameter (or 2x20mm). The innovation of the reinforced barrels is that these have been specially extruded from 6063 aerospace alloy with patented reinforcing ribs down the inside of the 28mm internal diameter tubes which eliminate flex - allowing use of an extreme 1,7m alloy barrel with 2 x 20mm or 3 x 16mm bands if desired without flex and loss of accuracy.

Miles' and Tommy's tests seem to bear this out!

The rails on the top of the range Nemesis and Kanji models have "longitudinal speed striations which reduce noise/pressure wave amplitude, reduce metal to metal contact and increase hydroplaning for reduced friction and noise vibrations and increased velocity". (Phew!)

The guns sell in Australia (where they are designed & manufactured) for $300-$650 and in South Africa for $90-$200...don't ask how!

I have not had one in my hands yet but will be getting a 1,5m Kanji with 8mm spear and 3 x 14mm bands soon. They look really good - their anodized "Hoocam" mimetic camo pattern on the two bluewater models looks awesome; I have used other Pelaj stuff in the past, mainly spears, without problems. Yes, some of their stuff does look very Rob Allen-ish...imitation is the finest form of flattery. I suppose if you are going to copy someone, copy the best!

I submit this in the interest of satisfying interested spearos and "gun geeks" about a new and apparently very cool product on the market. I have no connection to Pelaj and no vested interest in posting this, so I trust Peskydor will ignore this post if it annoys him, and refrain from posting a sarcastic response!

Safe, Selective, Sustainable Seafood!
www.wildphotossafaris.com
www.diving-action.com
Wilddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #18
popgun pete

If you look through past threads on Pelaj you will see that these guns have been in the works for over two years. The Australian distributor could not get enough Rob Allen guns to meet local demand so they set about having their own gun made, hence no surprise that it follows the South African "eurogun" formula. The handle is one of the few things that you can externally differentiate on a speargun like this, so they did just that. Just where they are actually made would be interesting to know, so many items today are outsourced to cheaper labour cost countries. Production of parts and the final assembly can be in entirely different locations. The guns are relatively expensive to buy, perhaps the lower prices quoted for South Africa are down to the competition from the very similar Rob Allen and Rabitech product lines.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #19
NOTANX
shane, snorkologist

if i remember correctly, their stuff used to resemble RA even more so than now. it looks like they are getting away from that and actually becoming unique. thats nice to see. i like the muzzle. i hate having to tie bands on.

Palm Beach Freedivers
flfreedivers.com
Rob Allen Railguns
NOTANX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:00 AM   #20
SpearingFish

was just at adrenaline in australia they only sold 3 pelaj guns and theye were on consignment they are not well liked in austrlaia t
SpearingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:02 AM   #21
SpearingFish

add i never used em
SpearingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #22
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

Great report, the gun looks cool and the fish skeleton logo is real nice. I guess besides the good looks the handle is strong enough for a smooth release of three bands...

P.S. I wish I were in Africa with you, ¨the tuna gang¨..
Old 02-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #23
Wilddiver
Daryl Balfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearingFish View Post
was just at adrenaline in australia they only sold 3 pelaj guns and theye were on consignment they are not well liked in austrlaia t
The Aussies are an insular lot and take a while to accept new products. Pelaj, albeit an Aussie company, may be perceived to be South African by many - a lot of their components, specially spears, appear to be made in SA. Even Rabitech and Rob Allen, two better-known products, often take a back-seat to Aussie products like Torelli, Edge, Undersee and even the imported Picasso, which has a long exposure over in Australia.

I just received my 1,5m (60") Pelaj Kanji gun and without having shot a fish with it yet reckon it is one of the better Euro-gun type products on the market. The design (award-winning) and finish is awesome, it feels super strong with a very rigid barrel. I expect to shoot a lot of BIG fish with it soon. And I do own and love my Rob Allens and Rabitech, not to mention the big Matt Alexander tuna gun.

Safe, Selective, Sustainable Seafood!
www.wildphotossafaris.com
www.diving-action.com
Wilddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #24
pee wee

Post Re: New Pelaj Railgun Review

Gidday Everyone , Searching for speargun info , came across your forum , looks great .
My main interest is the new Pelaj guns in this thread . Im an aussie from near Cairns Australia and have been a keen reef fisherman for some time .
My new partner is a dive instructor and we cannot go to the reef without her hoping over the side for a snorkel and look around . The amount of times Ive done this and seen nice coral trout or other reef species and had no gun has me now looking with keen interest at what is about , and what would siut me best . I have had an old sea hornet brand for many years but has now just past reasonable repair .
I am within the week traveling to South Africa for a holiday and read that the Pelaj kanji guns appear much cheaper there and from what i read , quite a nice bit of gear .
Was thinking of getting my hands on one mabe and bringing it home , either as luggage or even mailing it .
Most of my spearing would be within 5- 10 m and around reef . Any recomendation of gun apreciated and even better any place of purchase .
Will be traveling to Johbuorg and then to Krugar NP of course and Mozambique , and then around the coast to posibly Cape town .
Any info greatly appreciated , will also target mackeral on some occasions .
My partner seems keen to get into it as well , so I was thinking two sizes or types a good opportunity .
Thanks again , cheers . Cant wait to get back in the water . Darren ( Pee Wee)
pee wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #25
anchorman
Gifted

I like the looks of the gun. Sweet speedo pics too!
anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #26
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Before buying them read the review done by a mechanical engineeer named Jesse Mann on www.spearoz.org
as this warning i received from a gun maker myself.
i am in middle to order sample for tahiti ..i let you guys knows after tests..
marco
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:55 AM   #27
BlackTeam

From what i have heard over here, is that they are sweet guns once the handle angulation and thickness is gotten use to. the pricing is ridiculous though: its around $700 aud for the top of the line kanji railgun its not carbon aor anything.
BlackTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #28
miles

Send a message via MSN to miles

Hiya

As pointed out z1taz, please do read the very conflicting review by young Jesse Mann. He certainly does raise some very pertinent issue's like barrel flexing. Never actually tested a gun to see whether its barrel flex's, my test was more of a 'real world' test. Simply got into the water and shot with the gun!! Strange how i don't see any fish picture's in our engineers testing though ............

Oh well, here's some more testing results:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelaj1.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	72545  
miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #29
pee wee

Well guys , Been to South Africa and back , what an experience and met some fantastic chinas as they say , did the Krugar thing , then into mozambique and stayed at a great place in the middle of nowhere on the coast with a guy ( id like to call mate now ) and his fantastic wife . There spot is simply heaven , amognst the dunes with miles of coast to explore . Never enough time . But maybe a chance to return one day .
This mate was ( unknown to me before the trip ) was a keen and from the stories very good spearo . Way out of my leage chasing tuna etc .
Once back in civilisation he was happy to take me to the local gear shop and fitted me with what he thought a great starting point for my type of reef fishing . I purchased a .750 roballen for cray and maybe my partner , and a little larger 1.0 roballen for myself , kitted me with some extras and im in the water .
He did explain this was enough for my needs at the moment , but assured me i would want at least a 1.2 within the year .
After leaving and heading back to Joberg I looked up the Pelaj dealer there who was away on a trip himself. Bugger , at SA prices I shouldve just bought another roballen in the fist place . I wrecken about a third of our aussie prices . Will let you know how things progress . Darren
pee wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #30
cww180

Great report! Since you are in Australia, why not get an Edge gun?
cww180 is offline   Reply With Quote