Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All About Pole Spears & Slings (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   sea tinger slip tip fail! (vid included) (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=138454)

philmtl 12-31-2011 03:58 PM

sea tinger slip tip fail! (vid included)

well i just got my new gopro. have it on a head mount. im using the sea stigner type 1 slip tip.

i hit the carp and well the vid explains it.

sea stinger fail, quebec spearfishing - YouTube

XavierDeRoos 12-31-2011 05:41 PM

Re: sea tinger slip tip fail! (vid included)

Wow. that sucks a lot.

You should work on that breath hold haha jk

SpearoTastic 12-31-2011 05:46 PM

Dude, you got schooled! That carp wasn't even trying hard to get away.

Did you forget to turn the knurled knob so the groove isn't aligned with the hole after you installed your slip tip cable?

Remember, shot placement is everything with a pole spear.

Props for diving with snow on the ground.

jfjf 12-31-2011 05:59 PM

Damn that sucks. I think I might have taken a rest, allowed the carp to settle into that crack and then line up a well placed head shot to try to stone it without the slip tip.

philmtl 12-31-2011 06:09 PM

The odds that it wasn't on the groove serious bad luck!

In terms of getting back that carp, (just letting it settle) where I’m diving is near hydro damn lots of current so I had to fight to stay up. And I would of lost the carp.

Also I was wearing a face mask under my hood for extra warmth. I hate the face mask, makes me feel like my head is in a vice. So I was frustrated to begin with.

The biggest problem is I’m wearing mits, so no grip and no maneuverability. If I had gloves I would of just ripped the throat and gills out of that fish like I usually do.

The night before it was -18c so -2f, so the water was quite cold.

ShipFaced 01-02-2012 08:01 AM

damn dude that looks seriously cold...do you know what the water temps are?

jfjf 01-02-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philmtl (Post 1586622)
The odds that it wasn't on the groove serious bad luck!

In terms of getting back that carp, (just letting it settle) where I’m diving is near hydro damn lots of current so I had to fight to stay up. And I would of lost the carp.

Also I was wearing a face mask under my hood for extra warmth. I hate the face mask, makes me feel like my head is in a vice. So I was frustrated to begin with.

The biggest problem is I’m wearing mits, so no grip and no maneuverability. If I had gloves I would of just ripped the throat and gills out of that fish like I usually do.

The night before it was -18c so -2f, so the water was quite cold.

:lol::lol: Yeah.. sitting in my underwear, typing on a computer (with the AC on) in south Florida (in the winter), sometimes makes me forget how much harder everything is when wearing mittens.... :eek: :toast:

njspearo 01-02-2012 09:01 AM

Bro that has happened to me a few times in the Bahamas. And I know for sure the ball on the steel line wasn't lined up with the hole. Thank god my buddy was right here to chase the fish down and shoot it. In the end the slptip still failed when I shot a big hog and the whole tip just brOke in half. Not a fan of these tips. It's a good design in theory but just isn't that great

ArtemisGunn 01-03-2012 11:40 PM

^x2

freeride 01-04-2012 12:19 AM

dude you are the man for even getting out in the snow and ice!!

cksea 01-04-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeride (Post 1588505)
dude you are the man for even getting out in the snow and ice!!

for a carp!

freedivingfool 01-04-2012 08:11 AM

Brass Balls on this kid!

grouperdude 01-04-2012 10:32 AM

I never understood why people like this tip so much. THESE TIPS ARE CRAP. For that matter there isn't a very good slip tip in general for pole spears.

drew5546 01-05-2012 04:40 PM

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134334
The basic dimensions of the seastinger and the jbl polespear slip tip are extremely similar. since these mods i haven't lost a fish yet. The only reason i never got a seastinger tip is because it has moving parts and moving parts open the door for malfunctions. Just in case you are fed up with sea stinger, give the jbl a shot. It is a 6mm female so it should fit on that spear.

SnpperWhisperer 01-07-2012 06:17 PM

ha ha what a crackup video!

I'm really enjoying Dustin's gat-ku slippy. Have only lost fish due to poor shot placement/too far away so far.