Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Recipes Here! (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   wet or dry??? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=2795)

one_lucky_shot 06-22-2003 03:33 PM

wet or dry???

what do you guys think is better? and for what type of food?

looking for the best batter for the food and flavor. dry powder or wet batter? i am looking at cooking up hog, grouper, lobster, red fish (ok i know those two are not spearo but hey they tast great).

any special batters out there?

Stringer 06-24-2003 12:51 PM

Just my opinion, but you did ask! Batter is for coarse fish like pollock, turbot or cod. Breading is much better quality and is more appropriate for choice fish like grouper, hog, etc. A great breading for any fish is simply saltine crackers run through a food processor. Stays on good with an egg wash, and fries up crisp. Add seasonings if you wish.

If you decide to try it, let me know and I'll help you eat it!:D

bubblejunkie 06-24-2003 09:45 PM

Try this.

Try Zatarain's seasoned fish-fry, I like the crispy southern style. I use for lobster also it's real simple and tasty. Let us know what you try, I'm always looking for a new way to cook seafood.

Shooter Dan 06-26-2003 10:03 AM

Dry is best, but I've never met a beer batte that I didn't like.

Zatarain's seasoned fish-fry, the one with the lemon slice on the box, is my favorite.

Soak the bits in egg wash and a table spoon of their liquid crab boil (0ver night adds some flavor) then the fry mix.

Can't go wrong.

Marcus 06-26-2003 11:37 AM

If you run out of batter. Dry, instant pancake mix works great. Comes out crispy.

Steel Shootin' 06-26-2003 12:40 PM

Combination of Ritz and Saltines in a 50/50 mix. Dipped in egg first.

one_lucky_shot 06-26-2003 06:04 PM

batter, breading.... duh

sorry i could not think of those words when i posted at first. goes to show i don't cook sea food much.

speaking of that note.... you are talking about 'egg bath' you just use the white or the yolk beat in there too? dip egg, dip breading, fry in non stick pan and serve? is that about right? ( i do more steaks on grill than batter on stove;) )

thanks for all the help buy the way. am some what new to cooking 'fresh' or personaly harvested fish. dad always cooked it up good. never had an intrest to learn back then.... damn it. should have asked back then now i have to come over and share my catch :p :p

LuvMyRedDog 07-03-2003 10:24 AM

Fry in a non-stick pan? I prefer to DEEP FRY in a deep non-stick pan, pot, deep fryer, whatever. Fish comes out so hot and crispy. I never met a deep fry I didn't like. I Fried up some amberjack in spanish bread crumb/egg bath yesterday and it rocked out!

Also, dads love it when you share your fresh catch with them.

one_lucky_shot 07-03-2003 05:18 PM

well i did it, fried up some hogfish. crackers LOTS of 'lil o this and a dash of that'. this was my first time of having hog fish. was very happy to see that i cooked it all the way threw, no ribs, and no 'fishy taste' !!! i did an egg bath with a LOT of seasonings in it then onto smashed saltine crackers agian with alot of seasonings. turned out a little blaw for my tast but i will try ritz crackers or capt crunch. thank you all for tips. look forward to the other 3 hogs....

yes i prefer to fry with as little greas as i can get away with. less mess and less fat. thought a deep fry would knock off most breading guess not.

what other fish are not "real fishy taste"

by the way dad ends up sharring more with my family :) fish shrimp oh yea the good stuff. check it out at www.isaa.cc

grumpydog 07-19-2003 11:31 AM

My bro-in-law from new orleans makes a batter from eggs, cajun spicy mustard, and a can of cheap non lite beer. spice it up as hot as you want it, then dip in either corn meal or cracker crumbs. Its hard to beat

Spearooo 07-21-2003 02:50 PM

hy

Try uncle bucks from world wide sportsman