Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Northern Atlantic: New England States (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Gooseneck Barnacles (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=116733)

ClaudioSub73 12-13-2010 09:18 PM

Gooseneck Barnacles

3 Attachment(s)
Hi folks,

Do any of you know if gooseneck barnacles can be found in New England waters?

They definitely do not look it, but these are delicious crustaceans. I have eaten these in Portugal and Spain, where they are called "Percebes" and are a very expensive delicacy.

I only recently found out that California and the south of Brazil has them too. I'd love to know if they can be found around NE as well.

Here is a photo for reference. They stick themselves to rocks in the low tide zone of the shore (usually where there is strong currents).

Let me know if you ever seen these around.

Thanks!
Claudio

robbiefischer 12-13-2010 09:20 PM

Re: Gooseneck Barnacles

how do you prep and eat them? there all over here in Ca and would love to try them. thanks

ekinoderminator 12-13-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbiefischer (Post 1335877)
how do you prep and eat them? there all over here in Ca and would love to try them. thanks

They are really good eating Robbie but are currently not legal to take in California. I think when the regs were written DFG did not think anyone would want to eat them. There has been some progress to change that and hopefully in 2011 we can take a few.

In preparation it is important to get the base intact/unbroken when removing them from their rock. The inside contains alot of delicious juice and if the base or skin is broken the juice is wasted. To eat them I usually boil them until just cooked - a few minutes. I then take the tough skin off and collect the juice. You can then remove the meat and use many ways. Delicious in pasta, using the juice to make a sauce, or risotto, again the juice added to the arborio at the end, many ways to enjoy, just on their own they are great. Be aware also that they feed on plankton and can be toxic during those times of year.

robbiefischer 12-13-2010 09:36 PM

thanks john!

ClaudioSub73 12-13-2010 09:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've only had them prepared the classic way... boiled in salt water and eaten cold. Here is the recipe I found on a Portuguese site for you:

- rinse the barnacles very well
- boil a pot of water seasoned with plenty of rock salt
- add the percebes to the pot and let it boil for about 15 minutes
- then enjoy after it totally cool down

Trust me, they are as delicious as they are ugly! The part that people usually eat is the neck (see photos below), but the tastier meat -- which not a lot of people know -- is the meat under what it looks like the alien's fingernails. :thumps: