Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Other International (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Bermuda (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=73869)

Bermuda Hunter 11-27-2008 09:19 PM

Bermuda

Hey guys, I'm from Bermuda and thought I'd start a thread. Local laws: pole spears only, no scuba or any other air assistance, must be a mile offshore, and only allowed 2 per species per person per day. Pelagic species include wahoo, mahi mahi, tuna, amber jack, and bonito. We also get blue and striped marlin though I've never heard of anyone spearing them, locally at least. I do most of my spearfishing on the reefs. Target species include hog fish, snapper, porgie, jack, grouper and rock fish. Lobster season is from September 1 to March 31 in which you must have a license. Lobsters are caught with a noose and scuba is not permitted. Feel free to post any questions. I am new to this site and am having trouble uploading photos and setting a profile pic. Should be up soon though.

PhiSig1071 11-27-2008 09:37 PM

Re: Bermuda

Welcome!

Pole-spear only? What about hawaiian slings?

fuh reel 11-28-2008 05:14 PM

striped marlin in bermuda??? must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. should get alot of whites and spearfish up that side. what about cero macks ever see them on the reefs? and are the cudas edible?

Bermuda Hunter 11-28-2008 09:41 PM

I am pretty sure hawaiian slings are prohibited. I remember somebody saying that way back when, but yea everyone uses pole spears.

Did I say striped? Sorry, I meant white. I've been doing a bunch of research on New Zealand for an upcoming trip and am getting my species confused. Supposed to get spearfish up our way but I've never seen one. We get schools of little tunny, bonito and bar jack on the reefs, often all schooling together. No cero mack's though. The small cuda's are edible, you got to watch out for the big guys as they might be toxic, especially the ones out on the reef.

Bermuda Hunter 11-28-2008 09:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are pics from some of our recent adventures. More on the way, and I'll post them as they come. Enjoy.

deepdown 11-28-2008 11:06 PM

Solid fish! Gotta make it up there one of these days...

FishTracks 11-29-2008 12:11 AM

some great fish........been to Bermuda 5-7 times and never seen much less caught a bug like that ,,,,,,,congrats

Bermuda Hunter 11-29-2008 01:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
A couple more I've managed to scrap together. Computer crashed a couple months ago so pickings are slim. I'll keep at it though. Having trouble uploading photos so this an alternative. Enjoy.

Silentspear 11-29-2008 01:56 AM

That Lobster Was Huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HurricaneBK 11-29-2008 12:38 PM

What is the fish in the 2nd picture you posted it looks familiar to ones I've seen around here but not nearly as big?

Tedbudion 11-29-2008 12:42 PM

What kind of pole spear(s) do you use?

Bermuda Hunter 11-29-2008 02:14 PM

I speared the second fish thinking it was a margate. I've gotten a couple in the past but thats the biggest. I went online just to make sure. Looks like one but is almost twice as big as their stated max. size. Either its something else or we've been spearing world record margates in Bermuda for years.

I've used several types in the past, mostly fiberglass and aluminum. The collapsible versions are really flimsy and are not good. I currently have three spears. I have a six foot, one-piece fiberglass spear which is pretty sturdy for a glass spear. I have a stiff band on it for increased power and speed. Mostly use it amongst the rocks chasing snapper, hinds and coneys. I have a 10 and a half foot jbl aluminum which used to be my go to. The added length gives greater range. I use a slip tip on it. Great for both on the reef and in blue water. Its hollow and is supposed to be filled with water. Thinking of filling it with something a little heavier to give it more punching power. I use a float line on this spear. My third is a manny puig (8 and a half feet), my go to. Use a slip tip on that and a float line attached to the band. Trying to think of a way to attach the tip directly to the float line so the spear won't get caught up in the rocks while going after grouper. In blue water, having the spear between the tip and the line isn't a concern.

Slip tips are crucial as they eliminate torque which can bend the spear. The float lines act in much the same way as they do with spearguns. Attaching them to the band does not create drag and does not alter the path of the spear. Problem is groupers tend to hole up and spears can get bent and caught in the rocks. Trying to get the spear out of the equation by connecting the float line directly to the tip.

Travass 12-04-2008 02:08 AM

jeezz those are some crazy pctures and yes that is a white margate. I know u said lobster are caught with a snare is this because it is the traditional way of doing it out there or because it is illegal to use any other methods. what is the average size of hogs?

Bermuda Hunter 12-04-2008 12:05 PM

It is the law to use a noose. Spears used to be allowed a number of years ago but that made it way to easy and populations began taking a hit. I think as long as you don't spear them your pretty much cool. I couple times, when lobsters have been crammed in tiny nooks in the hole, and impossible to get at, we'll shove a mop in the hole, mimicking an octopus, and set up a dive bag at the other entrance, and the lobsters would come flying out into the bag. Pretty cheap I know but pretty neat too.

As for the hogs, the legal min is 17 inches from the nose to the fork in the tail. Most of these hogs are around 30 inches in length. Average size is probably around 17 to 25 inches. They are a pretty easy fish to spear so taking small ones doesn't really say much so we mostly just go after big boys (unless you've invited a bunch of people over for a fish bbq and have an empty cooler).

Travass 12-05-2008 12:08 AM

thats awesome that the hogfish out there are so big that you can set the minimum size limit to 18"!