Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Palos Verdes Dive Report - Any One Know How...... (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=114686)

Scuba Fever 10-31-2010 03:07 PM

Palos Verdes Dive Report - Any One Know How......

1 Attachment(s)
Two Scuba Divers dove North P.V. today. Conditions were better than yesterday, calmer seas, less swells and somewhat better visability at 50 - 70 feet deep. And best of all; SUNSHINE and Warmth!

While swimming along on the bottom, I found some kind of Clam, about 2.5 inches in diameter, whitish, and shaped like a small fist. It appeared to be alive, in that it would not open. Back at home, after a short boil, it opened and one of the BRAVER Scuba Fever Divers ate it whole! Reported that it was Sweet and Yummy ....

Question: Does anyone know what kind it was, and how to find more while diving?

Samik 10-31-2010 03:23 PM

Re: Palos Verdes Dive Report - Any One Know How......

looks like the butter clams we have up here....

WESTBURY 10-31-2010 04:01 PM

I think that's a pismo clam.
Can't see the picture that well....

spearthebigones 10-31-2010 10:36 PM

Post a bigger picture of it so we can tell for sure. Legal size for Pismo clams in Palos Verdes is 4.5 inches in diameter though.

rojodiablo 10-31-2010 10:37 PM

When in doubt, try to instead take a picture, and look it up. If it were a Pismo clam, you would be in violation, for it was too small. If it were a butter clam, you would be safe. But in reality, you wouldn't: You did not have a gauge and no clear identification.

The pic is too small to see clearly and ID. I suggest getting a guide to local fish and shellfish, and then at the least you can mark it's location on the bottom, and look it up. Then, if legal, go grab it, check for size, and avoid a costly mistake.

Scuba Fever 11-01-2010 12:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by spearthebigones (Post 1312147)
Post a bigger picture of it so we can tell for sure. Legal size for Pismo clams in Palos Verdes is 4.5 inches in diameter though.

I knew it was NOT a Pismo Clam. Just dont know what it is. From empty shells I've seen on the bottom, I think this is the biggest they get.

donny 11-01-2010 12:30 PM

loks like a cockle to me but I'm no expert.. used to get a bunch of those at cabrillo beach inside the breackwall with my family when I was a lil'guy 20 years ago... tasted good but looking back I am shocked my dad thought it was OK to eat things from there... Donny

Scuba Fever 11-01-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rojodiablo (Post 1312149)
When in doubt, try to instead take a picture, and look it up. If it were a Pismo clam, you would be in violation, for it was too small. If it were a butter clam, you would be safe. But in reality, you wouldn't: You did not have a gauge and no clear identification.

The pic is too small to see clearly and ID. I suggest getting a guide to local fish and shellfish, and then at the least you can mark it's location on the bottom, and look it up. Then, if legal, go grab it, check for size, and avoid a costly mistake.

CALIFORNIA FISH AND GAME REGULATIONS 2010 -2011

"29.20" Except as provided for - There are no closed season, bag limits, or size on Saltwater Clams.

I am familiar with all of the other clams mentioned in the Regs ..... It was just this one I wasn't familiar with. Thanks for your concern though.

Scuba Fever 11-01-2010 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by donny (Post 1312347)
loks like a cockle to me but I'm no expert.. used to get a bunch of those at cabrillo beach inside the breackwall with my family when I was a lil'guy 20 years ago... tasted good but looking back I am shocked my dad thought it was OK to eat things from there... Donny

Here is what I found on California Cockles:

Chris Oak 11-01-2010 01:37 PM

It doesn't look like a cockle, it looks like a California Chione (Chione californiensis) or maybe a Quahog.

donny 11-01-2010 03:48 PM

Chris's ID looks right based on google images... when I was catching clams as a kid we caught pismos and cockles... I think as far as my dad was concerned pismos were the big ones and the cockles were everything else. They tasted good. Thanks for the info Chris, Donny

Chris Oak 11-01-2010 04:22 PM

Me and you both Donny, I love fresh steamed clams maybe I'll have to make a run up north to get some now that you reminded me. We used to dig them up and steam them in wine/chicken broth/garlic sooo good.

slughunter 11-01-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donny (Post 1312347)

My dad too had me eating everything out of the harbor including the tom cod. I guess that is why i can not remember my last name most of the time.:D

Scuba Fever 11-02-2010 05:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Thanks alot Guys ....... That looks exactly like what I found. Now How can I find more while diving? I was at 70 foot deep when I found that one. :toast:

fishnstix 11-02-2010 10:58 AM

Chris ..... Chione? Tell me where ot find some of those.