Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Florida East Coast Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   African Pompano Recipes? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=119923)

Scubadood 02-22-2011 07:19 AM

African Pompano Recipes?

Can you guys give me a few ways to cook African Pompano,
any help would be appreciated,going out today to get another one
hopefully.

kwdiver93 02-22-2011 07:26 AM

Re: African Pompano recepiets

beer batter and fried :thumps:

Rocker John 02-22-2011 09:41 AM

Re: African Pompano Recipes?

A/P turns very white when you cook it.

Try something different, White Pompano Parmesian:

Ingredients

Shalots
butter
dry white wine
1 tomato
fresh grated parmesian (not that kraft bullshit and yes it makes a difference)
mayonase

Take a baking sheet and cover it with foil. Rub a stick of butter in an area on the foil a little bigger than the piece of fish you're cooking. Place the fish on the buttered area. This will prevent it from sticking to the foil and will make it easy to remove.

Next, spread a layer of mayonase over the filet, cover the sides also and salt very lightly. Then sprinkle a good layer of parmesian cheese over the mayonase. Dice up the shalots very finely and sprinkle them lightly over the pasmesian. Place some 1" pats of butter here and there over the filet. Then dice up the tomato very small using only the outer part and apply sparingly over the top of everything else. If you use the inner part of the tomato it's too watery and will make the dish sloppy. Spill just an ounce or two of the wine around the filet. It will heat up and add to the aroma of the dish.

Heat your oven to 375 and cook 20-27 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. The butter pats will melt and cause the other ingredients to tie together well. This is much easier than it sounds Harrold, just keep an eye on it and don't let the parmesian burn. At 350 it should be a no brainer.

The recipe is really good for pompano, but it's my favorite with black grouper. It literally melts in your mouth with the right sized fish-around 10lb.

Good luck!

smilinmatt 02-22-2011 09:57 AM

My favorite recipe:

Fillet fish, eat fish.

(Cooking is an unnecessary step in the preparation of AP.)

blueh2oboy 02-22-2011 10:11 AM

Sahimi or carpaccio. Unbelievable. One of the best fish for sushi I've ever used.

Marco 02-22-2011 10:23 AM

Keep it simple. Salt, pepper, a medium high pan with some olive oil. Then a squeeze of lime juice. UMMMMM!!!!

Man-O-War 02-22-2011 11:04 AM

Dont eat the really big ones

I gotta try that mayo recipe, thanks bahama mamas

slingshaft 02-22-2011 12:07 PM

What is a really big one? And why not eat them? Is it because they are breeders? Cheers

Man-O-War 02-22-2011 01:11 PM

big ones can give you ciguatera poisoning:

http://www.spearboard.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=33

i guess anything over 30 lbs would be considered big....one in post above was 44 or something

Scubadood 02-22-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jciulla2001 (Post 1378680)
A/P turns very white when you cook it.

Try something different, White Pompano Parmesian:

Ingredients

Shalots
butter
dry white wine
1 tomato
fresh grated parmesian (not that kraft bullshit and yes it makes a difference)
mayonase

Take a baking sheet and cover it with foil. Rub a stick of butter in an area on the foil a little bigger than the piece of fish you're cooking. Place the fish on the buttered area. This will prevent it from sticking to the foil and will make it easy to remove.

Next, spread a layer of mayonase over the filet, cover the sides also and salt very lightly. Then sprinkle a good layer of parmesian cheese over the mayonase. Dice up the shalots very finely and sprinkle them lightly over the pasmesian. Place some 1" pats of butter here and there over the filet. Then dice up the tomato very small using only the outer part and apply sparingly over the top of everything else. If you use the inner part of the tomato it's too watery and will make the dish sloppy. Spill just an ounce or two of the wine around the filet. It will heat up and add to the aroma of the dish.

Heat your oven to 375 and cook 20-27 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. The butter pats will melt and cause the other ingredients to tie together well. This is much easier than it sounds Harrold, just keep an eye on it and don't let the parmesian burn. At 350 it should be a no brainer.

The recipe is really good for pompano, but it's my favorite with black grouper. It literally melts in your mouth with the right sized fish-around 10lb.

Good luck!

WOW ,thanks for all the Info ,way cool.
Il let you know how it turns out.

Scubadood 02-22-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smilinmatt (Post 1378698)
My favorite recipe:

Fillet fish, eat fish.

(Cooking is an unnecessary step in the preparation of AP.)

I tried it raw with soy and wasabi,a little chewy.

Scubadood 02-22-2011 10:22 PM

Re: African Pompano recepiets

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwdiver93 (Post 1378652)
beer batter and fried :thumps:

I had it this way tonight , it was as good as cobia a A PLUS fish.
We couldn't stop eating it ,tasty.

pirate_diver 02-22-2011 10:42 PM

Harald, I have a similar recipe to the one posted above. Got it off the board a while back. It was for parmesian crusted grouper and lobster scampi. You'd want the first part obviously but both are good. If you do a search you should find it. Similar to the one above but lacks the tomatos. It's great over rice with a side of grilled asparagus. If you can't find it let me know, and I'll post it.

Scubadood 02-22-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pirate_diver (Post 1379184)
Harald, I have a similar recipe to the one posted above. Got it off the board a while back. It was for parmesian crusted grouper and lobster scampi. You'd want the first part obviously but both are good. If you do a search you should find it. Similar to the one above but lacks the tomatos. It's great over rice with a side of grilled asparagus. If you can't find it let me know, and I'll post it.

Better yet,come over to my house for dinner and il let you cook it up.
Sounds great.

headhunter561 02-22-2011 11:27 PM

grilled with cajun seasoning, then top with Major Greys Mango Chutney