Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   quirky pre-dive rituals? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=143829)

dsg1987 04-28-2012 04:50 PM

quirky pre-dive rituals?

ok seeing as were all some sort of fisherman i believe that there are some out of the ordinary pre-dive/hunt/fish rituals... other than the usual bulls#!_ that we spin off to our friends that missed the trip, were known for some of our pre- trip rituals... some play certain types of music, some do a little dance... what ever it is lets hear it!!!

i think this thread could be fun, but lets try to keep it clean(possible?).

i will start with one from my pier rat days as a kid growing up between juno and lake worth piers...
evey time i was out before my lime hit the water, i'd spit on the spool and the bait/lure... something my dad used to do before he was disabled... also to stop others from picking up my rod to catch the fish... now that im spearing i spit on the tip before i get in the water and on the shooting line.

so thats my "quirky" pre trip ritual...

lets hear 'em folks...:toast:

garret 04-28-2012 05:11 PM

Re: quirky pre-dive rituals?

i would say mine is waking up with a horrible hangover and going out and letting the ocean cure my wounds.

Megabeast 04-28-2012 05:14 PM

Getting less than 3 hrs sleep the night before.

Nerka 04-28-2012 05:16 PM

The number one rule of diving is to take a number two before diving..

AndrewK 04-28-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsg1987 (Post 1644533)
now that im spearing i spit on the tip before i get in the water

:wtf:

Sleep less then 3 hours and be hung over. If I gotta shit.... gunnel hunchin time. if i got laid the night before... no shower before diving.

North Star 04-28-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megabeast (Post 1644540)
Getting less than 3 hrs sleep the night before.

This is my problem too, but not by choice - the excitement and anticipation of going diving gives me insomnia, and I lay there for most of the night awake or fitfully sleeping in short spurts. It is really annoying, 'cause I always go diving tired, no matter how early I get to bed the night before.:(

I guess my pre dive ritual is that I always say a prayer for safety before I hit the water.

Tommy T 04-28-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerka (Post 1644541)
The number one rule of diving is to take a number two before diving..

You forgot the part about having a hunk of kelp handy, a nook @ the cove, & watching out for your hood! T

Megabeast 04-28-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Star (Post 1644560)
This is my problem too, but not by choice - the excitement and anticipation of going diving gives me insomnia, and I lay there for most of the night awake or fitfully sleeping in short spurts. It is really annoying, 'cause I always go diving tired, no matter how early I get to bed the night before.:(

That's exactly why I can't sleep too bud :toast:

I always wake up, grab the phone, check the time to make sure I didn't sleep through the alarm... sure enough, it's only 3:45AM.

flspearin 04-28-2012 07:46 PM

If I'm wearing a shorty wetsuit, it is important to pull my board shorts through the legs of the wetsuit lol.

Bill McIntyre 04-28-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Star (Post 1644560)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. You would think after over 60 years of diving I'd get over it, but I often have trouble sleeping. And then I'll wake up a half hour before the alarm is supposed to go off and know that there is no chance I can go back to sleep, so I get up and drink coffee to work on that number 2 thing.

Polespearo 04-28-2012 08:22 PM

I have a tatt on my back tht is also an amulet for protection in the water so before surfing , suping or snorkeling with guns (sometimes i don't get fish so its not fishing) i touch it and breth it!

.... And #2 is not even a possibility to skip ;) my weights are calculated without that load.

Putmeincoach 04-28-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewK (Post 1644548)
i got laid the night before... no shower before diving.

What the hell man, now I've got to scrub my passenger seat. I take a real deep breath before diving.

kylo1597 04-28-2012 11:31 PM

add me to the #2 list. i call it cobia candy, eh Jetro?

JDC 92 04-28-2012 11:47 PM

typically play we play music that gets us pumped up...terrible idea sense as soon as we hit the water we have to calm ourselves down ha

im usually hungover or half drunk depending on when we start diving. last year the night before my 1st tournament drank til i fell asleep at 5:30-5:45am was supposed to leave at 6, the boys woke me up at 6:21 i hauled ass(mind you i drank heavily and slept for only about 45 minutes so thank ya baby Jesus for no troopers) to the sign in popped a top on the boat to postpone the hangover and took 3rd.....most of my dives start very similar to that

bakir_sonic 04-29-2012 01:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDC 92 (Post 1644692)

im usually hungover or half drunk depending on when we start diving. last year the night before my 1st tournament drank til i fell asleep at 5:30-5:45am was supposed to leave at 6, the boys woke me up at 6:21 i hauled ass(mind you i drank heavily and slept for only about 45 minutes so thank ya baby Jesus for no troopers) to the sign in popped a top on the boat to postpone the hangover and took 3rd.....most of my dives start very similar to that

so how did the story end?