Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All Other Gear (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Best slip tip point for white sea bass? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=143178)

spearthebigones 04-13-2012 02:37 PM

Best slip tip point for white sea bass?

Okay so I'm thinking of buying a nice sliptip with spectra cable, but I'm wondering what is the best point for the spear tip?

I noticed there are 3 different tips:
  • pencil point
  • tri cut
  • pencil point tri cut (which are just pencil points with a smaller tri cut at the point).

Does anyone have a favorite tip type when it comes to white sea bass hunting?

Mr Paul 04-13-2012 03:04 PM

Re: Best slip tip point for white sea bass?

This shouldnt be a big surprise, but IMO Mori makes the best tips out there. His machines are set up to acheive the closest tolerences and his craftsmanship is as perfect as you can get. He has a piece of wood with about 10 different tips on it at his shop, he'll tell you what he likes and doesnt like about the other ones if you have time to go there. Lots of manufacturers have their parts made in China, but its nice to know he makes his himself, here in CA.

One major thing i like about his tips, when its sitting on the adapter and you're holding it right side up, and shake the shaft, it doesnt fall off. Its almost locked into place. This helps a lot when you're going through the kelp and dont want to toggle the tip and tighten the spectra back on a dozen times durring a dive. There's a reason why people go to Mori.

Oh yeah, his are pencil point...

32Juan 04-13-2012 09:12 PM

I read somewhere that the tri cut tips take much less force to penetrate the skin/flesh.

+1 for Mori tips! He makes some of the best gear out there. No tri cut, but I don't think it will make that much of a difference.

spearthebigones 04-13-2012 09:27 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I sent Mori an email about buying a spectra slip tip and asked what tip would be the best for white sea bass. He said.....

"About the tip, putting a tri-cut on the end of a spectra tip defeats the purpose of having spectra. I invented the spectra tip for the purpose of shooting white seabass, which has tough scales, but soft skin that rips. The tri cut tip puts a triangular hole in the entry point, and the line on the tip will find one of the corners and the skin starts to rip on that corner. The tri cut tips cuts through tough fish better, and good for tuna, marlin, etc, but not for seabass / yellowtail.

I do make tri cut tips, but I dont recommend them for seabass and I only make them with cable."

Ethan kills 04-13-2012 09:59 PM

I just farted

spearthebigones 04-13-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan kills (Post 1638088)
I just farted

Not a fan of the Mori fan fair? Or is it you don't believe the specific tip design makes a difference?

Seeco 04-13-2012 10:52 PM

You can sharpen any tip to the point you want. The sharper the point the more it will get bent if you shoot a rock.

Nerka 04-13-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spearthebigones (Post 1638078)
Thanks for the info guys. I sent Mori an email about buying a spectra slip tip and asked what tip would be the best for white sea bass. He said.....

"About the tip, putting a tri-cut on the end of a spectra tip defeats the purpose of having spectra. I invented the spectra tip for the purpose of shooting white seabass, which has tough scales, but soft skin that rips. The tri cut tip puts a triangular hole in the entry point, and the line on the tip will find one of the corners and the skin starts to rip on that corner. The tri cut tips cuts through tough fish better, and good for tuna, marlin, etc, but not for seabass / yellowtail.

I do make tri cut tips, but I dont recommend them for seabass and I only make them with cable."

Daniel (and Mori) thanks that is best the explaination I have ever heard for a pencil tip. I know some advocate a tri-tip because it has better spine cutting abilities, but wouldn't know I only hunt WSB from an arm chair.

thanks again good luck this year!

32Juan 04-14-2012 11:04 AM

He has tri-cut huh? I stand corrected.

Don't listen to me, ever ;)

Bill McIntyre 04-14-2012 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerka (Post 1638108)
Daniel (and Mori) thanks that is best the explaination I have ever heard for a pencil tip. I know some advocate a tri-tip because it has better spine cutting abilities, but wouldn't know I only hunt WSB from an arm chair.

thanks again good luck this year!

When I first got started shooting white sea bass, I did use a tri-cut tip and it did act like Mori said, but of course I was using cable too. The cable did find one of the corners of the triangular hole and enlarge the hole. I can't recall losing a fish because of that, but I could have. Since then, I've used pencil point tips- Aimrite and Mori- and then more recently the Wong tip which is pencil point with just a small tri-cut at the very point. In theory at least, it would seem to be a happy compromise. But I'm got Wong tips on a couple of guns and Mori tips on a couple of others, and I can't honestly say I've noticed a difference in penetration. There are too many other variables such as range and band power, and they both seem to work fine.

ACEVEDO 04-14-2012 03:28 PM

Daniel it depends on the Diameter of the shaft im using

for 9/32 wong or Mori , wongs last batch is really clean and he gives you a little longer line

for 5/16 I like interlock , i like that the spectra is allot thicker than any tip out there, I have 18 WSB on this tip so far and the spectra still looks in good shape

Deadmanh 04-14-2012 07:39 PM

Mori tips are the only tips recommended by Skip Helen for WSB at the meeting recently. Besides what was mentioned already, Skip said that Mori pencil point tips would travel more accurately compared to tri cut due to even flow of water all around the tip as it travels......

Sean E 04-14-2012 07:49 PM

This doesn't necessarily apply to slip tips only, nor do I know if it's true, but Skip Helen said that his buddy that used to make shafts/guns whatever and test them said pencil cut shafts travel more accurately and more streamlined than tri cut. Which makes sense.

ACEVEDO 04-16-2012 04:29 PM

"even flow of water" lol Sounds like hot air to me , what does he have to say about the tabs??
Maybe for 20' shots @ tuna it would be worth considering pencil tip vs tri-cut
But when is the last time you shot a Wsb further than 10' from the tip of your gun...

QUOTE=Deadmanh;1638291]Mori tips are the only tips recommended by Skip Helen for WSB at the meeting recently. Besides what was mentioned already, Skip said that Mori pencil point tips would travel more accurately compared to tri cut due to even flow of water all around the tip as it travels......[/quote]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean E (Post 1638295)
This doesn't necessarily apply to slip tips only, nor do I know if it's true, but Skip Helen said that his buddy that used to make shafts/guns whatever and test them said pencil cut shafts travel more accurately and more streamlined than tri cut. Which makes sense.

32Juan 04-16-2012 06:24 PM

FWIW, I shot one last year about 18' from the end of my gun. With a Mori tip ;) Nailed that sucker good.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._2034038_n.jpg

Also strung a yellow at about the same range last year too.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._4880130_n.jpg