Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ear infection questions (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=117787)

ddonnell 01-07-2011 08:52 PM

Ear infection questions

So I have a pretty bad middle ear infection (otitis media) that sprang up after X-mas. Saw the doc, got the pills and what not, but I still have it... Doctor said it was the worst infection he has seen with the patient perfectly fine minus no hearing, ringing, and slight jaw pain.

-How long does the ringing hang around?
-I'm almost out of pills and still have the ringing and slight hearing loss.

-Any potential problems long term from this sort of thing?

-When is it safe to dive?
-(I'm planning on not going in until middle to late Feb anyways...)

:beer:
-Davis

BEEK 01-07-2011 09:12 PM

Re: Ear infection questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddonnell (Post 1350489)
So I have a pretty bad middle ear infection (otitis media) that sprang up after X-mas. Saw the doc, got the pills and what not, but I still have it... Doctor said it was the worst infection he has seen with the patient perfectly fine minus no hearing, ringing, and slight jaw pain.

-Davis

Put Rubbing Alcohol and Hydroden Poroxide in your ears on the regz. It will keep you from getting to this point.

If I were you, I would put rubbing Alcohol in my ears, until it gets better... if not, then you need antibiotics.

Lots of pussys will tell you that Alcohol will dry your ears out.... but it will kill infection... and dry is what you want.

The key to avoiding ear infections.. especially if you dive and surf is to run a sharp stream of hot water in each ear canal filling it everytime you get out, then drain it completly, but make sure it all drained out, this will clear the nasty water and also sluf the ear wax from the ear canal. If water is left in there, then it will fester... so get it all out.

If you do this everytime you surf and dive then your chances of ear infections will decrease. I run hot water in each ear every day I shower surfing or not. This keeps the ear wax from building up and thats where the nasty water gets trapped after your ear has a bunch of build up.

Your doctor will not tell you this, cuz he wants you comeing back for ear wax cleaning and antibiotics.

Good luck.

Beek.:toast:

Dawn Patrol 01-07-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddonnell (Post 1350489)

-Davis

Dude, call your doctor back. Most of the time, they will tell you "call me in __ days if you are not better." A really good ENT if you're in the Garden Grove area, is Felizardo Camillon. He's put up with my my whole life...

ddonnell 01-07-2011 09:15 PM

Thanks bud! I'll do it after dinner and see if it helps at all.

I have to admit when I looked on the thread list and saw you posted I was excited to see what you could come up with. I must say I'm slightly disappointed..

Edit: Patrick- He said 5 days after I stop with the meds. I still have 2 days of meds left to see if things improve.

JPierce 01-07-2011 10:03 PM

Unfortunately I've become quite the expert on ear infections---had 4 last year (I know this because when I look in the medicine cabinet there are 4 half full bottles of antibiotic drops dated back to early February 2010) and all related from diving. For me it seems after surfing/diving for 25 years I've got some issues that probably require a small surgery which I refuse to have...so after doing a bit of research/talking with others, the mix of vinegar/alchohol has been my savior. I haven't had an issue since I started using a couple of drops after every dive---it's been 3 months and I dive about 70 days a year. I generally wait about a week after the antibiotics/hearing returns/no pain while clearing before I resume diving. Hope this helps!

Chris Oak 01-07-2011 11:12 PM

Not rubbing alcohol, ethyl alcohol. Mix 50/50 with vinegar and use after diving. That came from some ENT on the board, I use that after every dive and knock on wood never have gotten an ear infection.

As for your problem, go to the doctor. No use messing around asking us flunkies when your hearing is in jeopardy!

Scottywotty 01-07-2011 11:47 PM

Davis,

Did you get in the water in the last couple of weeks?

Scotty

ddonnell 01-08-2011 03:16 AM

Just put some peroxide in my ear. Note to all: run warm water over peroxide bottle so it won't be the temperature of your garage...

I probably have the accumulation of junk in my ears as some guys that have been surfing 25+ years. I was on my HS surf team and for four and a half years I was in the water every day no matter the conditions. I'll need to get scraped within the next year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottywotty (Post 1350570)
Davis,

Did you get in the water in the last couple of weeks?

Scotty

Yessir. Went to the Nados December 26th and had a pretty snotty ride back in. Ear ache started the 27th mid-day and got pills the 28th mid-day.

-Davis

CB_Freeman 01-08-2011 03:22 AM

My ears were a little sensitive/ear achy when we got home from that trip as well. But I had just got off antibiotics a week or two before that, maybe it saved me.

Or all the puking between locations forced the bacteria to abandon ship...LOL

tailsurfer 01-08-2011 03:43 AM

Ear infections can happen because you get shit clogged in your ear. I used to get sand and wax mix in my ear after surfing and that led to clogged ears and ear infections, and I bet if you get that nasty run-off water in your ear it will reek havic.

My dad still has that problem and uses a a large water seringe to flush out his ears.

CB_Freeman 01-08-2011 04:00 AM

seawolf what is up with your avatar.....That looks painful

North Star 01-09-2011 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB_Freeman (Post 1350639)
seawolf what is up with your avatar.....That looks painful

Tyson is studying to be a root canal Doc - my guess is that is some of his work - what say, Tyson?

ddonnell 01-09-2011 03:47 AM

Definitely looks like a root canal to me. Not fun.

Bob Ballew 01-09-2011 05:19 PM

you can get ear infections from taking a shower and running water in your ears..I rinse out my ears quickly and turn my head down while bending over to drain out the water and blot out the remaining water with a towel...after dives, pour a capful of the alchohol/vinegar or alchohol/peroxide mix in each ear and bend over as described above to clear it out...the purpose of the alcohol is two fold; it helps dry up moisture and also kills bacteria...lots of various bacterias and viruses in ocean water (fish and birds do poop)...on the coast and in harbors, it is especially dangerous as some of the viruses will attack your heart and/or brain, usually thru a cut or an opening in your ears, mouth (bleeding gums or a tongue bite) or nose..one almost killed me in 2005..it put me in the infectious disease ward at the hospital and took 5 days of 4 types of anti-biotics every 6 hours to pull me from the edge...could feel my body shutting down...felt like I was 85 years old within days...in todays' world, infections are nothing to mess with...see a doc..

Sean E 01-10-2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Ballew (Post 1351361)
you can get ear infections from taking a shower and running water in your ears..I rinse out my ears quickly and turn my head down while bending over to drain out the water and blot out the remaining water with a towel...after dives, pour a capful of the alchohol/vinegar or alchohol/peroxide mix in each ear and bend over as described above to clear it out...the purpose of the alcohol is two fold; it helps dry up moisture and also kills bacteria...lots of various bacterias and viruses in ocean water (fish and birds do poop)...on the coast and in harbors, it is especially dangerous as some of the viruses will attack your heart and/or brain, usually thru a cut or an opening in your ears, mouth (bleeding gums or a tongue bite) or nose..one almost killed me in 2005..it put me in the infectious disease ward at the hospital and took 5 days of 4 types of anti-biotics every 6 hours to pull me from the edge...could feel my body shutting down...felt like I was 85 years old within days...in todays' world, infections are nothing to mess with...see a doc..

That crazy you say that, I wonder if that's why hit me last year in January. I was sick for like 2 weeks straight, aches and pains, pressure in ears, dizzy spells, chest pain, and constant dry coughs... It lingered in me for about a month and I didn't feel normal again for at least 2 months and then I still coughing every once in a while and felt weak as hell. My doctor thought I had gotten h1n1, but I never really had many fevers.

There's a lot of crazy viruses and bacteria out there, gotta be careful.