Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Marlin? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=165987)

GREENBEAN88 09-07-2013 04:18 PM

Marlin?

So I was able to get out and do some paddy hopping yesturday the conditions were great saw a lot of paddies with tons of bait and lots of Mola's getting cleaned which was cool but only one small yellow seen. while we were looking around there was a large Marlin in the two pound class that started going crazy and jumped out of the water about 10 or 12 times in a row. It was completely awww inspiring. This made me start thinking what I would do if this thing came by while I was in on a paddy or if we drove past it while it was sun bathing on the surface. thought of making a perfect shot on a Marlin were in my mind for the rest of our boat ride. Has any one on this sight done this in our local waters before or do they have any second hand stories that are worth sharing?

water temps in the 71.5, 72.5
lots of paddies, no fish?
:thumps:

Atanasprime 09-07-2013 05:42 PM

Re: Marlin?

I'd personally be stoked to spear a local marlin and it's a sort of bucket list thing for me. Technically they are legal to spear and I've heard of people running across them on paddies and at Cortes Bank. Just make sure you have one hell of a float setup haha.

I'm also interested in why you don't hear of people spearing them around here.

GhostBuster 09-07-2013 05:52 PM

im pretty sure its legal, though probably a little dangerous, atleast for your gear if not for you...if you see one, and you have my gun i give you permission to shoot it :) if you loose my shaft, just buy me a new one. if you lose the gun, or your life, ill be pretty upset

unkabonka 09-07-2013 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's legal, limit is 1 per day.

Should be easy, find a sleeper in the AM swim quietly you could probably touch it. No need to goto the "Cortez Banks" (nobody ever goes that far for marlin) you can find them a mile off Catalina/Clemente or a few miles outside of Laguna probably sometime in the next 3 weeks.

I think it's stupid personally I'd much rather get a picture, they are so beautiful in the water all lit up with color. Also much more exciting to hook on rod and reel with their jumping display. Just my own philosophy, it's the same reason I rarely shoot calico bass... these fish are worth more as a C&R sport fishery than to shoot. I'm not saying that's consistent/logical thinking, it's just how I behave.

1 mile off white rock a few years back

Cameronv 09-07-2013 10:29 PM

Well said unka. I'd much rather appreciate the beauty as it swims away. Something that awesome deserves my respect.

unkabonka 09-07-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cameronv (Post 1874979)
Well said unka. I'd much rather appreciate the beauty as it swims away. Something that awesome deserves my respect.

This video by Terry Maas is amazing, showing the awesome characteristics of marlin.

laguna80 09-07-2013 11:09 PM

I say go for it if you're set up for it. Marlin is freaking delicious. I could seriously go for some marlin poke right now. Yum yum!

toptuna 09-07-2013 11:20 PM

Marlin is good to eat. I'd shoot one in a heartbeat.

Behslayer 09-08-2013 09:31 AM

I've had a few close encounters with Big Marlin and opted not to take the shot. What I think I'd like more than a Big Marlin on my shaft, is a Nice Picture of a live Big Marlin that I took on my wall as it was swimming next to me.

Some things to think about. If out of shear luck, you happened to stone that 300lb beauty, are you prepared to keep it from sinking to the bottom of the ocean? If you are on a boat and will be coming back into a marina or port, are you prepared to incur the wrath of any local RnR fishermen who may use those fish as sustainable catch and release source of income? Sometimes dealing with those guys can be rough or costly.

I'd hate to see a majestic fish like a 200lb or 300lb Marlin shot simply as a photo and a give away as I've seen happen in some places. But, I've eaten marlin and even Sailfish before and they were both good enough slow cooked on a smoky fire.

GREENBEAN88 09-08-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cameronv (Post 1874979)

I definitely agree a fish like that would have my respect as a beautiful FISH. But I love to hunt fish and I would not fell a conflict for my self. But I understand why alot of guys would not pull the trigger.:)

bearclaw 09-08-2013 12:19 PM

Are marlin numbers threatened?

If not, why not?

No pretty fish is going to get a pass if it is delicious, sustainable and responsible to eat it. A speared large marlin is without a doubt more responsible than eating that swordfish filet from a 75lb swordfish that wasn't anywhere near breeding weight you get in the local restaurant/ fish market.

Gut it in the water, cut into 1/4's and those guys with 5,000 yds of spectra strapped to their crotch won't know a thing.

There is a multi-million dollar wildlife photography business as well, should hunters stop chasing game because someone with a 4' telephoto lens might want to sell a picture of that critter?

toptuna 09-08-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearclaw (Post 1875104)
Are marlin numbers threatened?

If not, why not?

No pretty fish is going to get a pass if it is delicious, sustainable and responsible to eat it. A speared large marlin is without a doubt more responsible than eating that swordfish filet from a 75lb swordfish that wasn't anywhere near breeding weight you get in the local restaurant/ fish market.

Gut it in the water, cut into 1/4's and those guys with 5,000 yds of spectra strapped to their crotch won't know a thing.

There is a multi-million dollar wildlife photography business as well, should hunters stop chasing game because someone with a 4' telephoto lens might want to sell a picture of that critter?

I fully agree. I mean seals are cute sooooo I'm glad they are protected and no one can harvest them. Porpoise do cool tricks too so I'm glad there are millions of them and they are protected.

I only say that because if we form stigmas like this should not be harvested cause joe fisherman thinks they are beautiful. Well if its sustainable then who gives a rip. Many marlin die anyways after being released.

bearclaw 09-08-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toptuna (Post 1875109)
I fully agree. I mean seals are cute sooooo I'm glad they are protected and no one can harvest them. Porpoise do cool tricks too so I'm glad there are millions of them and they are protected.

I only say that because if we form stigmas like this should not be harvested cause joe fisherman thinks they are beautiful. Well if its sustainable then who gives a rip. Many marlin die anyways after being released.

Yep. Every critter out there can be gracefully and emotionally connected to being "cute" if we try.

Ever seen a dolphin/ porpoise up close? They look like they survived Rwanda (I am not making lite of genocide for those that like to take things out of perspective), scars and gashes all over themselves. When I have been buzzed by them it is freaky as hell.

In the end, when the apocalypse happens, I have my eye on some two legged bacon...

And the catch and release fatality is something that no one wants to talk about. You can really see it well in freshwater small ponds. My granddad had a 2 acre pond that we quit C&R in because the bass were dying anyway. In Mazatlan we found a floating swordfish with no obvious external injuries (I went on a sportboat down there when in the service). You can't stress a big critter out to the point of exhaustion and expect it to go off and be fine. And, if it is going to die anyway, eat the effing thing...

rojodiablo 09-08-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearclaw (Post 1875117)
Yep. Every critter out there can be gracefully and emotionally connected to being "cute" if we try.

Ever seen a dolphin/ porpoise up close? They look like they survived Rwanda (I am not making lite of genocide for those that like to take things out of perspective), scars and gashes all over themselves. When I have been buzzed by them it is freaky as hell.

In the end, when the apocalypse happens, I have my eye on some two legged bacon...

Paddle faster....... I hear banjos!!

Marlin are a HEAVILY utilized food source. The numbers of marlin caught and kept as food far outweighs the number of marlin caught and released by sportfishermen. In fact, more marlin are caught and kept by sportfishermen than are caught and released.
Like rabbits, marlin are very pretty to look at, but tasty. Elk are majestic and massive; they are most definitely not getting a pass from hunters often either. Marlin = meat.

I have come VERY close to getting one in Ca. waters. Real close.
I passed on a marginal possible shot when diving in La Paz with Brandon Wahlers. That fish was probably 600lb, and the only reason I did not pull the trigger was because I felt I was not quite close enough to bury the dart in and really injure the fish. (It would not make sense to take a marginal shot to A: Piss off fishzilla, with a sword on its' face, and B: why throw away $350 in shaft, float and tip as fishzilla skips town with your stuff?
Had the fish closed within the 25ft range down to 20, I would have driven the shaft into its' liver, and hung on for one helluva fight. As it were, the fish stayed out at about 25-28ft, which is too far, even for a 3/8" shaft with 5 bands behind it.

Ethan kills 09-08-2013 03:11 PM

I say if you are gonna eat t then why not? I probably wouldn't shoot one but at te same time I wouldn't want to catch one on h&l either. They die a lot of the times they get released too. I've also see beaks get broken for a pic too.