Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Southern Atlantic Seaboard (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   excellent trip out of Sabine Pass (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=3549)

joens 08-04-2003 04:25 PM

excellent trip out of Sabine Pass

On saturday aug 2nd we went 80 miles out from Sabine Pass.
depth was 100 feet . we ended up with a lot of red snapper ,2 amberjack, a ling and 2 triggerfish. 3 ' seas, partly cloudy . I will post some pictures when I get them .
Joens

grumpydog 08-05-2003 07:32 PM

Who did you go with? what size boat, how many passengers? I have only gone out on one boat, looking to expand the list.
How much was the trip?

LSUBigL 08-07-2003 05:33 PM

80 miles!!!! Dang!! that's a long way man. I'd hate to lose an engine that far out!

Nice trip though. Definitely give us Texans the info on who you went with.

joens 08-08-2003 11:12 AM

the boat was the "Lil Bit" they run trips with Divers Den in Nederland. It is a 32' boat had 5 divers and 2 crew it cost $125
we pulled out at 6:00 AM took 4 hours to get out there . I just picked up my pictures in a few minutes I will put some up.
Joens

grumpydog 08-08-2003 11:31 AM

I'm not so jealous now. Just got a call on a trip going tomorrow morning out of Sabine Pass. Going on the Blue Dolphin, Bob Weeks the owner, carries 6 divers, $125. Have been out with him 3 times, never had a bad trip.
I made my first Gulf dive which was my first spearfish dive (6th dive overall) with him. He was super patient, stayed right by me the entire time I was in the water.
He also buddied with my wife and her daughter on their first Gulf dives. I would recommend him without reservation to any new or nervous divers, or new spear divers.

LSUBigL 08-08-2003 11:48 AM

The 411

Grumpydog,

Can you post his information here? Phone numbers and what not.

thanks,
Big L

joens 08-08-2003 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
one of the rigs

joens 08-08-2003 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
part of the catch

joens 08-08-2003 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more

knobber 08-09-2003 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by grumpydog
I made my first Gulf dive which was my first spearfish dive (6th dive overall). I would recommend him without reservation to any new or nervous divers, or new spear divers.
Damn, this sounds familiar. I'm still waiting for my first trip. I actually was going to go on the 17th with the group from Divers Den but the trip filled up the day I went to sign up. I guess I'll be on the perpetual waiting list :(

p.s. Do they let you keep everything you kill, or do you share it all equally?

joens 08-10-2003 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by knobber

p.s. Do they let you keep everything you kill, or do you share it all equally?

If you kill it you can keep it as long as it is legal.
Joens

Mark Blanchette 08-11-2003 09:14 AM

I went on the trip with Bob Weeks on 8/9/03. Seas less than 2', great visiblity. We all got some fish and had great dives. We went about 80 miles south east out of Sabine Pass. Amber jack and snapper.

grumpydog 08-12-2003 07:21 PM

Mark Blanchette was being kinda understated in his post. I have slept on mattresses that were lumpier than the Gulf was Saturday.
Everyone (except me) managed to stick some really fine snapper. Visibility was so good the bigger fish were skittish. I dont think we were close to a limit for 6 of us, but we put some in the boat, including a fine ling and a couple 20lb amberjack.
I was breaking in a brand new gun, which is much different than the one I had been borrowing. At least, thats the excuse I'm using this week. No other way I can justify missing as much as I did.
Weather was nearly perfect, company was great, fish did their part.
What more can you want?

grumpydog 08-13-2003 07:11 PM

The dive trip we took was on the Blue Dolphin. Owner is Bob Weeks, launches out of Sabine Pass.
His phone #722-8304
Bob has a regular job which interferes with his fishing, but he goes every chance he can work it into his schedule. If you have a group of 6 you can get the whole boat. Otherwise you may be one of a group of unmet friends.
He takes divers or straight fishing trips, and is good at both. You wont find a harder working guide