Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All Other Gear (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Best freedive mask on the market (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=96376)

PhatFireMan 11-23-2009 11:13 PM

Best freedive mask on the market

Sporasub Mystic...?

Low volume and good visibility? Value? Durability?

Alexrom1207 11-24-2009 01:17 AM

Re: Best freedive mask on the market

Technisub micromask. You will forget you're even wearing it.

1shot2kills 11-24-2009 01:19 AM

i have the sporasub...A++++++

Everdai 11-24-2009 04:52 PM

Sporasub is amazing, so comfortable. I lost mine after having it 2 days:bang:
I went straight back to my LDS and bought another.

I was between the sporasub mystic and aqulaung micromask
I read tons of great reviews for the micromask, but about 40% of them loved it because it fit their small faces so well, I don't have a small face so I got the sporasub.

MahiMan85 11-24-2009 10:16 PM

If the Technisub fits your face... it's worth every penny, great mask :D

flamencoguru 11-24-2009 10:21 PM

I just ordered a Sporasub Mystic. I'm ready for a new spearfishing mask.... I wish there was a mask similar to the Aqualung Sphera. Great freediving mask but would never make it for spearfishing.

We'll see how the Mystic works out.

Errol

Everdai 11-24-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamencoguru (Post 1097538)
I just ordered a Sporasub Mystic. I'm ready for a new spearfishing mask.... I wish there was a mask similar to the Aqualung Sphera. Great freediving mask but would never make it for spearfishing.

We'll see how the Mystic works out.

Errol

Hey just out of curiosity, what keeps a great freediving mask from being a good spearfishing mask?

grouperdude 11-24-2009 10:45 PM

best mask is a mask that fits you best

flamencoguru 11-24-2009 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Everdai (Post 1097549)
Hey just out of curiosity, what keeps a great freediving mask from being a good spearfishing mask?

I'm sure you could use it for both but with the Aqualung Sphera, the lenses are plastic and they scratch super easy. The volume is ridiculously low, lowest out of any mask ever made. They were actually designed as swim goggles that covered the nose. The mask is super flexible and the peripheral vision is the best. It flexes great at depth. I've got three of them because they're extremely hard to get. Aqualung only supplies them to the military, not to the consumer for some reason in the US. Oh, the lenses pop out too if you're not careful.....not good.

Errol

Alexrom1207 11-25-2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everdai (Post 1097351)
I read tons of great reviews for the micromask, but about 40% of them loved it because it fit their small faces so well, I don't have a small face so I got the sporasub.

I will agree with that. Several guys who've tried my mask couldn't get it to seal, including one of my father's friends whose nose was too big for it. :D

But if you're lucky enough for it to fit well, it's a great mask. The lenses sit so close to your eyes that your field of vision is just amazing. The interior volume is tiny, so it takes minimal air to equalize when diving deep. And the profile is very minimal, so in a current or when dropping down, there is next to no drag. But after I dropped the $100 for it (when it was the only mask with this design) it seems a bunch of other companies have come out with similar masks. So, there may be some out there that are just as good? I'm not sure, since after buying the micromask, I stopped shopping around.

harbour seal 11-26-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMan85 (Post 1097533)
If the Technisub fits your face... it's worth every penny, great mask :D

Micromask - Aqualung (Techninsub)
I agree the Micromask is amazing, sporting the lowest volume (of any spearing mask) + incredible field of view. It feels like a ferrari --- form designed for excellent function with nothing wasted. This is my current favourite mask and a good choice if you want pure performance (i.e., lowest volume with best view). I can see the Micromask might not fit as wide a range of faces as there is less overall flex/compression/wiggle room compared to other masks.

Alien - Omer
If you want pure comfort, while retaining low volume + good view, then the Alien is the one to choose. It has a softer silcone skirt than micromask, which gives the gentlest "kiss" to your face. Also, I expect the Alien would fit a wider range of faces with such a soft silicone skirt.

I can wholeheartedly recommend either the Micromask or Alien.

Sphera - Aqualung
I also own a Sphera and it has the widest field of view of any mask I have tried---the plastic lenses curve around your face on each side giving an unobstructed side-to-side peripheral view. However, for me I find it uncomfortable to wear, especially for longer periods of time, thus I only use it as back-up (my Alien is just too damn comfortable to consider wearing my Sphera). Also, there is some distortion as the lens is plastic and tends to flex at depth, which is not ideal for hunting.

Anyone own both the Micromask and new Sporasub Mystic?

I would be interested to hear a side-by-side comparison for internal volume, field of view, overall performance and comfort in these two masks.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver, Canada

harbour seal 11-26-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everdai (Post 1097549)

For pure performance (i.e., line diving), freediving masks are most concerned with low internal volume. The field of view is less important compared to the extra air needed to equalize at ever deeper depths. Strictly speaking, a wide field of view is not required for line diving.

Whereas, for spearing (and recreational freediving) a low internal volume is still important but so is having a good field of view. These two factors are necessarily balanced and the best spearo masks seem to rate well in both categories. In addition, other factors like comfort and durability tends to be more important for spearing masks.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver, Canada

Tiburon 11-27-2009 03:22 AM

My personal favorites:

Omer Alien
Spetton Excell
Cressi Matrix

flamencoguru 11-27-2009 08:04 AM

Well,

I just bought the Sporasub Mystic and it's pretty darn awesome! Super low volume, great field of vision and absolutely comfortable. It fits live a glove. It's a win, win, WIN situation.

I don't own the Aqualung Micromask but I have tried it. It didn't quite fit my face and it was quite pricey (over $100). I'm sure it's great mask if it fits your face.

I think the Sporasub Mystic and the Aqualung Micromask are going to be the new trend setters in the spearfishing/freediving world.

Just my two cents.

jfreak 11-27-2009 09:37 AM

Hey has abybody tried the mares star liquidskin? That mask fits me awesome. Anybody have any reviews on it?