Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Florida East Coast Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Beach Dive Palm Beach?? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=143833)

keithfernandez 04-28-2012 06:27 PM

Beach Dive Palm Beach??

Does anyone know any good reefs to swim to from the beach or kayak to from the beach in palm beach county? no deeper than 35 feet

dsg1987 04-28-2012 06:36 PM

Re: Beach Dive Palm Beach??

pm incoming...

cbchrisbotelho 04-28-2012 06:42 PM

My favorite beach dive spot is the breakers shallow. I believe its around 250 yards from shore right off of palm beach. Parking is metered and five dollars an hour though. Otherwise, green roofs is dive-able from the shore but its a bit of a swim.

keithfernandez 04-28-2012 06:53 PM

what are the green roofs?

cbchrisbotelho 04-28-2012 07:39 PM

Green roofs is just north of the juno pier,diectly out from a few condo buildings with "green roofs".I dont remember the names of the buildings but i believe its within a mile north of the pier. Its about 400 yards from shore if im correct.

keithfernandez 04-28-2012 08:59 PM

ok thanks...is it like your regular reef mixed bag? or what will i see there?

cbchrisbotelho 04-28-2012 09:10 PM

The usual. Some sheepshead,snapper,cuda. maybe some grouper and mackerel. Ive only been there once or twice. If you need some one to dive with there, id be glad to go if im free.

keithfernandez 04-28-2012 09:34 PM

ok ill pm you if i find a day soon that works for me and weather is good

cbchrisbotelho 04-28-2012 10:24 PM

sounds good

zombiesloth79 04-30-2012 11:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've done greenroofs a few times. Heading north from the pier on 1A, the spot is directly east of the green roofed condos. I think it's beach access #45. The reef is about 400 yds out, so it's a bit of a swim with nothing but sand in between. A good sized flag is definitely a must, since boats like to go here, and they don't expect swimmers that far out. I haven't speared anything there yet, but the last time I was there I saw some nurse sharks and a manta ray. It's definitely worth checking out if you don't mind the swim.

AndrewK 05-01-2012 12:32 AM

I yak dove the green roofs before, viz was awful and didnt shoot anything. Its a big piece and you either see fish or you dont on it. Lotta boats go there to fish bait up so be careful. Id take a yak if I were you the current there can get interesting.

Also, south of breakers reef theres some patchy reef out there that I dove before, its about 2-300 yards out. then drifted north onto breakers reef. Plenty of mangos when I hit it out there.

Edit - theres a wreck north of jupiter inlet reachable by the beach too. read the info in the comments on this vid -

Spearfishing Jupiter 1/18/10 Sheepshead - YouTube

mksmith713 05-14-2012 08:48 PM

Honestly, there's not a thing worth shooting off the green roofs. I swim out and scuba dive it often and the best I can come up with are Black Margates which arent worth a damn as a food fish.
If you do hit the green roofs, enter the water at beach entry 37 or 38...you'll drift slightly as you swim out and should find yourself over some sort of rubble by the time you get out top where the debris is.
A big flag is an ABSOLUTE must....boaters in the area are careless as hell.
I got hit by a boater two summers ago...... guy was running out to deep water from catching bait closer inshore....and I have a decent sized flag 40 inches above the surface on an inner tube float....no real excuse for not seeing me..

AndrewG 05-15-2012 09:31 AM

Occasionally there are shootable fish on the Green Roofs spot, but more often it is pufferfish and nurse sharks...and bait, maybe mackerel. There is ALOT of boat traffic there, so be extra careful. It's a fair distance swim from shore. There are about 10 or so patches of man made reef (boulders) and one very small piece of broken up boat. If you're swimming from shore, you may have a tough time finding the patches - look for the boats marking them.

The Jupiter Island wreck (about 4 miles North of Jupiter inlet) is in about 25ft of water, but may be very difficult to find swimming from shore and I don't know if there is even parking on 'the island" anywhere nearby. It can be tough to find sometimes from a boat due to often bad visibility (Jupiter inlet outflow) there, so a gps number or good daymark is essential. The current can be strong as well, making it tough to stay on the wreck - we usually anchor and put out a current line. It can also be clear and epic too - you never know. It has some nice relief and comes up to about 10 ft of the surface. I usually see loads of Snook and Goliath Groupers, some sheepshead and mangroves. People have shot fish there, but it's usually just a nice place to look around.
Jupiter has some nice diving and great reefs and wrecks, but you really need a boat and most of the better stuff is 70 ft +.
There are much better shore diving opportunities further south in Palm Beach County. Maybe some of the guys who Live in the Boynton/Del Rey area can chime in.
Good luck and dive safe.
Regards,
Andrew

surf&dive 05-15-2012 10:06 AM

With summer time pretty much here, the sardines are back and are all over green roofs. I drove by there today on route to work and saw 20+ boats getting bait. If you do go there, be VERY careful, be with a buddy, and have a large dive flag. As mentioned before, drive a bit south to Palm Beach and you'll have a lot more beach diving spots to choose from.

keithfernandez 05-16-2012 04:30 PM

yeah i live in delray so i was looking for a place around there..there isnt much though