Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All Other Gear (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Weight belt keepers? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=55164)

Ron S 11-30-2007 02:24 PM

Weight belt keepers?

I've been using a real basic rubber belt with a wire cam type buckle for freediving and I like it alot, but I have to twist the belt halfway through threading the two end weights to keep them in place. How do you guys secure basic lead weights to a belt so they don't slide around? Is there a type of keeper that won't destroy a rubber belt?
Thanks,
Ron.

bbprodive 11-30-2007 02:29 PM

Re: Weight belt keepers?

Ron there are SS keepers with no teeth for the rubber belts. I have them in the shop.

Ron S 11-30-2007 04:22 PM

Hey Lou,
Thanks, that's kinda what I had in mind. All the keepers I've seen locally, both metal and plastic, have teeth to bite into the web belts. I'll check your online store. If they're not on there, I'll figure something out...
Ron.

Bill McIntyre 11-30-2007 04:25 PM

Ron,

The stainless toothless keepers that I've seen don't have wide enough slots for the Rob Allen belts.

seacrecher 11-30-2007 05:29 PM

I use the coated sea pearl weights, they don't seem to move around too much. If you can't get those in particular, make sure the coating is textured and not smooth. They cost a bit more than the uncoated lead, but no more(I think) then what it would cost to buy the SS keepers. BTW, I am using a Rob Allen rubber belt with the plastic compression buckle.

FredT 11-30-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre (Post 612122)
Ron,

The stainless toothless keepers that I've seen don't have wide enough slots for the Rob Allen belts.

Mine do. They'll take a standard web belt with an inner tube chafe cover.

Ron S 11-30-2007 06:17 PM

Bill,
My belt isn't a Rob Allen. It's about the cheapest rubber belt you can find and I believe it's made by Trident. The rubber is pretty thin, so I think pretty much anything will work.

Seacrecher,
As for my weights, I have a mold that would make 5# weights, but I use wheel weights, which aren't pure lead, so the blocks weigh about 4#'s. Not fancy, but they're free, work very well, and I won't hesitate to dump the belt if needed...
Thanks guys!
Ron.

LGHT 12-04-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seacrecher (Post 612155)
I use the coated sea pearl weights, they don't seem to move around too much. If you can't get those in particular, make sure the coating is textured and not smooth. They cost a bit more than the uncoated lead, but no more(I think) then what it would cost to buy the SS keepers. BTW, I am using a Rob Allen rubber belt with the plastic compression buckle.

John did you get your weights locally? I have some textured coated weights that work great, but out of the 3 only 1 fit on my rubber weight belt so I haven't been able to use my rubber belt ever. Not sure why the other 2 don't fit, but the rubber is pretty thick. I think the belt is an Omer.