Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   USOA 2006 Freedive Spearfishing National Championships (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Seminar and Expo 2006 (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=30435)

Sheri 03-21-2006 11:14 PM

Seminar and Expo 2006

I'm excited to announce a Spearfishing Seminar and Expo, to be held at the IGFA (Fishing Hall of Fame) Museum on Thursday, July 20. It's a beautiful facility located in Dania Beach/Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Although this is being held one day after Nationals, the target audience is not just Nationals contestants, but anyone interested in spearfishing. It is open to all....beginner to advanced, freediver or scuba, and juniors and women are especially welcome. Proceeds are being donated to a charity, the Boca Raton Society for the Disabled.

The morning will be filled with exciting speakers, including Daryl Wong, Kirk Krack, and Art Pinder. They will cover a wide variety of topics, including equipment rigging, picking the right tool for the job, the latest on the science of freediving, safety tips for spearfishers, as well as some stories from the past from the legendary slinger -- Art Pinder. :cowboy: You should find it to be uplifting, informative, even funny.

The afternoon will be filled with vendor exhibits from different dive shops and manufacturers. We will have all kinds of dive gear, including freediving and scuba equipment, and covering reef to bluewater hunting needs. A wide variety of speargun brands will be represented, as well as wetsuits, fins, fish artwork, spearfishing magazines, spearfishing DVD's, etc. Many items are being donated for the charity, so there will be a big raffle. Come and enjoy! :thumps:

Space is limited and we expect to sell out, so register early. For more info, visit http://www.longfins.org/seminarexpo.html

ScottZeagle 03-21-2006 11:15 PM

Re: Seminar and Expo 2006

Sounds great, Sheri!!!

I will try to make it over!!!

Scott

Sheri 03-21-2006 11:24 PM

Scott, it would be great to see you here. You guys gotta come over to this side for a change once in awhile!

OceanEd 03-22-2006 06:58 AM

Sheri: This is long overdue. Great job.

Ironhed 03-22-2006 07:44 AM

Awesome I will be there.

Spear One 03-22-2006 07:48 AM

Sounds like a great spearfishing event, I hope it is a huge success.

SpearMax 03-22-2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheri
I am excited to announce a Spearfishing Seminar and Expo, to be held at the IGFA (Fishing Hall of Fame) Museum on Friday, July 21!

Sheri, this seminar and Expo on the heels of Nationals sounds like a great idea. I will be there. Thanks for contributing this news to Spearboard! :thumps: Tony

Chad Carney 03-22-2006 03:14 PM

I'll be there too. I'm really looking forward to finally meeting Daryl Wong, and hearing his presentation.

IMO Kirk Krack is the most knowledgeable freediver and instructor I've ever met. Those that have taken his Performance Freediving classes are blown away with the most up to date freediving information available today.

Art Pinder is one of the funniest divers you will ever meet! His spearfishing stories from as early as the middle fifties are classics. And I thought I knew how to use a sling pretty well until diving and shooting with him. Art is a two time Nationals champion and he and his brothers won the FL State championship over ten times.

Congratulations Sheri on putting together such a unique event. This is a golden opportunity at a very reasonable price.

Chad

I wanted to spend hours just looking at the fish on the ceiling of the IGFA museum. http://www.igfa.org/
Adult admission to the Hall of Fame and Museum is $6.00 by itself.

kitefisherman 03-22-2006 08:53 PM

It's about time that Southeast Florida has had some spearfishing events - and now Nationals and the Expo both in three days! I may have to take the whole week off.

Great choice of venue Sheri! I knew that it was just a matter of time before your spearfishing and charitable goals would gain synergy.

Sheri 03-27-2006 09:10 PM

We have received great response by attendees/exhibitors, but we were asked by many of the Nationals contestants to change it to Thursday, July 20th, as many are flying back home on Friday. For anyone that has signed up already, if you cannot make that date change of one day earlier, we will gladly refund your entry fee. Hope that does not inconvenience anyone! (I just made the date change to the original post.) Even though we made the change to suit the Nationals competitors who are flying in, all locals, freedivers or scuba are very welcome!

OceanEd 03-27-2006 11:15 PM

Sheri:

It works better for me. Now I don't have to reschedule a dive class.

Denny 03-28-2006 06:52 AM

Sheri-
Sounds like a long-overdue gathering. We will get the word out.
Any room for the FRA?
Denny

Sheri 03-28-2006 09:32 AM

Hey Denny,

Not only is the FRA welcome, the FRA better be there! You get a free booth/table of course. I am getting some nice raffle items, so we'll do the same for the FRA....collect raffle items and donate the proceeds. Let me know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Ironhed 03-28-2006 10:04 AM

When this thing nears I hope that a reminder notice and good directions to the place will be posted and all pertinent info as well, I don't want to slip up and miss this

RichT 03-28-2006 11:36 AM

Sounds great! The nationals in Hawaii had something similar and the expo was one of the most fun things we attended all week! :thumps: