Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All About Guns (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   carbonfiber? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=144171)

the STONER 05-06-2012 07:27 PM

carbonfiber?

I just ordered some carbonfiber/fiberglass sleeve to wrap my gun iv seen it dine on here before any sugestions it is only for looks the gun is teak thanks mike

the STONER 05-07-2012 02:43 PM

Re: carbonfiber?

Come on guys i know this has been done a few times i just need info on applying the carbon sleeve and finshing it with epoxy come on phil share the knowledge

Tin Man 05-07-2012 04:43 PM

Vacuum bagging is probably the best, but I have done CF sleeves with both heat-shrink tubing and electrical tape. Both can work well if the shape of the gun is generally round. If it has large flat sides, though, the heat-shrink or tape won't pull as tightly on the flats as they do on the corners

iamasalmon 05-07-2012 04:45 PM

this and other threads by Tin Man are a good place to go for pics and stuff...

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=92329

the STONER 05-07-2012 05:43 PM

Thanks what do you use for a barrier and do you brush the epoxy on port rub it on

scotty_rez 05-07-2012 06:11 PM

PM TinMan of Phil Herranen. I've seen a couple of Phil's guns that are either wrapped or completely carbon fiber.....SICK!!!

2fishin2 05-07-2012 06:27 PM

you tube it there are many videos about carbon applications

Tin Man 05-07-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the STONER (Post 1648810)
Thanks what do you use for a barrier and do you brush the epoxy on port rub it on

I slather the epoxy on liberally with a brush, and then wearing nitrile gloves I knead it in to make sure the CF is thoroughly saturated.

No barrier is needed with clear PVC heat shrink tubing. Likewise no barrier is needed with black electrical tape as long as you wrap it with the sticky side out.

The heat shrink will leave a nice smooth finish, provided you start in the middle of the gun and chase any air bubbles and excess epoxy towards the end. Tape will leave a very small line where the tape overlaps as you spiral it around, so some finish sanding is needed. The main problem with the heat shrink is that it is limited in the range of diameters that it can shrink to. So if your gun tapers a lot, or has a substantial cutout for the handle, then one size of heat shrink won't work.

phil herranen 05-07-2012 10:42 PM

there are a lot of ways to do it and a lot depends on your skill level working with fabrics and epoxy . i use positive ,and reverse molds, electric tape , vac bag, and most often just plain old hand lay up . the best advice i can give you is do a bunch of 1' test blanks to figure out what works and what doesn't.once you get it down you can do a lot of cool stuff .take your time with your prep and dont have any hard edges . also stay away from kevlar unless you are very good , with kev you only get one shot and you cant sand it it just turns to fuzz .
phil

spearq8 05-08-2012 12:34 AM

If you want it only for looks and not for performance, I think you might get a much better looking finish with hydro transfer printing. I have seen some carbon fiber hydro transfer and it looks pretty good!

phil herranen 05-08-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spearq8 (Post 1649006)
If you want it only for looks and not for performance, I think you might get a much better looking finish with hydro transfer printing. I have seen some carbon fiber hydro transfer and it looks pretty good!

no matter how well it is applied hydro dip cf still looks fake,and will never have the look or depth of the real thing
phil