Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   SOCAL Freedive mask? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=76838)

Holy Mackerel 01-23-2009 04:44 PM

SOCAL Freedive mask?

It's raining, so I decided now was the time to sneak in a gear question to not infuriate the "old gaurd." Decided to put this in CA, hope that is ok with MODS, as it is SOCAL diving specific need.

I currently use the scubapro frameless, and have been happy with it, just want to see whats out there. I am in the market before the ghosts start showing, and my price range in $50-$100.

I know there have been many a threads, I searched them... I know that a good mask will greatly be determined on how it well it fits your face above all.

These are the most popular masks listed from threads using the search function. Couldn't really get a guage on diving here in Socal with these masks. Any thoughts?

Atomic frameless

Riffe Mantis

omer alien

aqualung Technisub Micromask

cressi occhio

Also, to AMBER Lens, or not to?

thanks, chris

DarenDeath 01-23-2009 04:50 PM

Re: SOCAL Freedive mask?

It doesn't really matter what brand it is. It just needs to fit your face. You need to try them on your face.
I like my amber mask, it seems to help with vis.

Holy Mackerel 01-23-2009 04:54 PM

Thanks Daren, I figured as much! :cool: I guess the next question, which you answered is the amber lens. I'd like to hear pros and cons about amber lens from others too...

chris

campbellc0321 01-23-2009 04:54 PM

Hey Chris, I think I could help you here. I love the scubapro been using that mask a long long time but for scuba only. For freediving I use the cressi occhio it fits much like the scubapro. And will make your dives deeper then 40 feet a whole lot easier.
Chris

sucinimad 01-23-2009 04:56 PM

1 vote for Aqualung Micromask. Fits my face well (narrow with high cheek bones). It has a tiny internal volume and it compresses very well. I never have to clear the mask when diving in 40ft or less anymore. ~$70 shipped.

Ex Nihilo 01-23-2009 04:59 PM

I dive with the Riffe Frameless. It's a great mask because it fits my face well. My main concerns with it are mask squeeze past 35' and that it doesn't have an amber lens. I too am looking for a new mask for spring.

Ascendv6 01-23-2009 05:10 PM

I just bought the Riffe Mantis with amber lens. I love it. I think the amber really makes a difference.

Darren

apnea_complex 01-23-2009 05:11 PM

This is the most efficient mask I've personally seen, in terms of low-volume and field view.

http://www.cressisubusa.com/2009/SchedeVedi.asp?id=196

I've never seen the micro mask, but I'm sure it's good. I really like the cressi's for spearfishing though. Those frameless masks really bug me, since they all seem to be pretty high-volume and I hate spending time equalizing my mask.

Travis Jones 01-23-2009 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Seadive just gave me a mask to review, the Ray Blocker Tru-Vu. Fits nice, but I still havn't gotten the chance to use it. It has a filter on the lens that makes everything look alot brighter and clearer. If you're interested, I'll be doing a review on it after this weekend's dive.

patrick 01-23-2009 07:25 PM

i love my technisub mircomask. i used to use the occhio plus, that was a great mask also. cressi makes so many different masks, there is one to fit your face, guaranteed. before those, i used the scubapro frameless. thumbs up for that one too, but its definitely a scuba mask. its really low volume for a scuba mask, and i was using it for freediving, but just cant compete with the new freedive masks. as far as amber, i cant say. if baby jesus wanted us to see amber, he would have given us clear yellow eyelids. :stick:

YakAtak 01-23-2009 08:29 PM

I have a boatload of masks...selected purely on if they fit me...I wish I could fit a Riffe mask cause I'd like to have a Mantis, but it doesn't fit. I have a larger nose so many masks hit the bridge of my nose and therefore are unusable to me. I'll tell you about a few of them here.

1)Aqualung Micromask...I think the coolest of all my masks, but the most sensitive of all. It has a very small skirt so make sure you shave if you are going to use one. It is extremely low volume, so for some it may be a little weird, if you have long eyelashes, they are like windshield wipers.

2)Omer Bandit...great mask, fits great, easy equalizing, my first go-to mask for a few years.

3)Omer Alien...my current go-to mask same as the Bandit but with a better field of view and the same fit as the Bandit. I have two of these.

4)Oceanic Shadow(frameless)...great fit and superb field of view. If I am just gonna snorkel I'd use this one...because for the life of me, I can't equalize it...at all...

5)SeaView Amber...great definition and color retention even in low vis, not so great in low light, so don't use it at night (I'd think)...not as low volume as the others but still a nice mask.

6)JBL Minimalist...I like this mask as much as I do the Omer Alien, same fit and excellent mask and for you guys on a budget it's cheaper. For the money this is your go-to mask at ~$40!!!

7)Deep See Omni Jr...Izabella's go-to mask...If you want a mask for your kid, get this one..she can wear this for hours and not have a drop in it!!!

I think that's all of them except for the cheapie ones...I think next I'd like to get a Cressi X-Vision...it fits well and I'd like to try it...

Hope this helps...

-Al

Silentspear 01-23-2009 08:38 PM

I use the Cressi Lince. It's perfect for SOCAL. Low volume and AMAZING field of vision. There's a link a few posts up.

spearer17 01-23-2009 08:43 PM

elgringopelon,
you think you can pm one of those reviews as well im intrested

when getting a mask deff get a black silicon mask as for the lens i find amber better for clear days but for murkey days i would use a regular junk wall mart clear lens mask

quig 01-23-2009 11:41 PM

I agree about staying away from the frameless masks. My Riffe is impossible to use beyond 10ft. The Omer Alien is a great, simple mask. I forget that I have it on my face. But, the fit is everything.

kjflyfish 01-23-2009 11:50 PM

As everyone has said, fit is everything. My favorite so far is the Sporasub Instinct Star. I'm not sure if Mares is still making it, that's why I got another as a back up.