Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   GoPro white vs black (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=154306)

randyrhoads 11-26-2012 02:16 AM

GoPro white vs black

I just bought a GoPro Hero 3 white. I must say i'm pretty disappointed in the picture quality. The video doesn't seem too bad. Just how much better is the black? Is it worth double the price to you? I'm not trying to make some production like film, but I would like it to be a decent quality.

fuzz 11-26-2012 02:57 AM

Re: GoPro white vs black

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyrhoads (Post 1751410)
I just bought a GoPro Hero 3 white. I must say i'm pretty disappointed in the picture quality. The video doesn't seem too bad. Just how much better is the black? Is it worth double the price to you? I'm not trying to make some production like film, but I would like it to be a decent quality.

White = Go Pro Hero HD
Silver = Go Pro Hero HD2
Black = Go Pro Hero HD3

The White and Silver are basically the older generations repackaged into a smaller form-factor and with a dive-appropriate housing.

Playing around with them, there's a very noticeable difference between the 1 and 2 in low light performance... and a decent difference between 2 and 3.

randyrhoads 11-26-2012 03:43 AM

So the 2 is a lot better than 1, but the 3 isn't a lot better than two? Would you reccomend the 2 then? I'm not rich, i'm on a budget, but I don't want to get to Oahu only to get bad video and regret not getting a better one

fuzz 11-26-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyrhoads (Post 1751430)
So the 2 is a lot better than 1, but the 3 isn't a lot better than two? Would you reccomend the 2 then? I'm not rich, i'm on a budget, but I don't want to get to Oahu only to get bad video and regret not getting a better one

3 is definitely a lot better than 2... but some of the features aren't crucial for divers, like the built in wifi/remote and shooting in 4k with 12fps.

If you have the money, go for the 3... the only downside is slightly-decreased battery life (opt for the battery bacpac to extend shooting time) and the rest are all upsides.

Lyterkillsling 11-26-2012 10:22 AM

Get the 2 and the dive housing.

Water Boy76 11-26-2012 11:10 AM

Very useful information for those of us making Christmas Lists. Thanks Guys!

Lone Star Spearo 11-26-2012 11:52 AM

A good comparison
GoPro HD Hero3 Black vs. Silver vs. Hero2 Visual Comparison - YouTube
Fuzz nailed it.