Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Hawaiian Islands (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Where do you spear on Oahu? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=102436)

Speargun Kev 04-04-2010 12:56 PM

Where do you spear on Oahu?

Aloha Hawaiian Spearos!

I am a California Spearo coming to visit Oahu for just 5 days.

Would any of you guys give up your secret location for a tourist?
I am no threat to your spot, as I don't live there and I'm leaving Hawaii after my dive. I just want to bring a nice fish back to the hotel for my wife! :rolleyes:

Also, Lobster season is over in California. What about Hawaii? Can I take Lobster this month? Size minimum and bag limit? :confused:

Please give up a little good intel... I will do it for you when you come to California!

Mattmcf 04-14-2010 05:40 PM

Re: Where do you spear on Oahu?

I would try Shark's cove near the North Shore. When i was over there with a friend who grew up on Oahu we would frequent there. Good luck on the lobster, they are more legend now from what i understand ;) I am used to Fl lobster which hole up in tiny hole in the limestone bottom. In Hawaii the ledges are insane and deep, not to mention all the old lava tubes that the lobsters can hole up in. I was there a total of 2 weeks (a week on Oahu and a week on Kauai) and only saw one lobster and it was small. Research the fish to shoot over there cause it surprised me. They target many ornamentals that I was not used to shooting at. If you get a parrot fish (they call it Uhu) than you struck gold! Also youtube how to catch octopus if you want to target them they are fun and tasty! Good Luck!

dive0saur 04-15-2010 12:19 AM

Not sure about back in the day, but Sharks Cove is a marine sanctuary.

Smudge 04-15-2010 04:03 AM

Shark's Cove is most definitely a sanctuary now. Google the Hawaii DLNR website for maps of the areas where you can and cannot take fish.

Blesum 04-15-2010 09:40 PM

I have no problems sharing this location... :D It's not in anybody's backyard, and hardly anybody seems to go there anyways. 40'-90'. Trophy jacks. We call 'em uluas here.

YouTube- Diving Kaena Point.wmv
Btw, forget about looking for lobster around here. Chances are very good you won't even see a single one. It's nothing like San Diego.

-Paul

sticknrelease 04-19-2010 02:22 PM

:knees:Paul, save some of those Ulua holes for me, I'll be out there June 16-22 to try and find one with you.

OahuFreediver 04-21-2010 04:13 AM

Kaena, dillingham, waialua is all i really dive since i live over there... Great area!